European telecoms stockpiling next-gen iPhone nano-SIMs ahead of fall launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
European wireless operators are placing orders for nano-SIM cards in anticipation of the as yet unannounced sixth-generation iPhone which is expected to leverage the technology when it is released this fall.

Apple's European carrier partners have placed "multiple orders" with chipmakers for the newly-ratified nano-SIM card, reports the Financial Times, a move which is being taken as evidence that the next-generation iPhone will soon make its debut.

Sources familiar with the matter claim that European operators have begun to warehouse "millions" of the small cards in anticipation of high demand for Apple's newest handset. The publication goes on to say that because the nano-SIM is the only piece of hardware in an iPhone owned by the operator, stockpiling of the part can be interpreted as preparation for a September or October debut.

When the iPhone 4 and first-generation iPad launched two years ago with micro-SIM technology, mobile carriers struggled to meet demand as the then-exotic cards were in short supply. This year operators are attempting to be proactive despite having no hard knowledge of what Apple will use in its final iPhone design.

nano-SIM
nano-SIM prototype seen before ratification of the standard. | Source: The Verge

The Cupertino-based company will most likely be using nano-SIM in the near future, however, as the European Telecommunications Standards Institute in June chose Apple's chip design as the fourth form factor for the SIM card standard. The iPhone maker is also reportedly negotiating the terms of commercial sales and agreements which include number of units ordered and sold. While the talks are expected to cover the next-gen iPhone, any deals made usually remain in effect for several years.

Apple's proposed card design was part of a heated struggle between cellphone makers like Nokia and RIM that wanted their own standard ratified for fear of an iPhone-dominated market. Despite pledging royalty-free licensing of the new standard, Apple saw contention from the Finnish company which said the proposed structure was "an attempt to devalue the intellectual property" of competitors.

Motorola and RIM joined forces and proposed a joint design nano-SIM standard with Apple, though the effort was ultimately shot down.

The finalized chip takes up roughly 40 percent less internal space when compared to existing micro-SIM cards, allowing smartphone makers to make smaller handsets with increased functionality. Apple's design is expected to make its way into cellphones later this year though Nokia will reportedly hold out as its upcoming Lumia handsets rely on legacy technology.

Apple is rumored to already be manufacturing the sixth-generation iPhone ahead of a fall debut sometime between September and October. Numerous purported leaks point to a larger 4-inch display and revamped dock connector as well as a refreshed look consistent with the company's aluminum "uni-body" industrial design. Most recently a white front glass panel was pictured with a centered front-facing FaceTime camera and taller screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And here come the posts about how Apple is pure evil for wanting to keep the companies behind the other SIM design from profiting on their whatever it was.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come the posts about how Apple is pure evil for wanting to keep the companies behind the other SIM design from profiting on their whatever it was.

and here comes anti anti apple hate...opps

• Reply 3 of 15
    just_me wrote: »
    and here comes anti anti apple hate...opps

You act as though we want that stuff here at all.
  • Reply 4 of 15

Quote:

you should know you spread it around along with several others. Feel the hate..i mean love from both sides.

• Reply 5 of 15
    you should know you spread it around along with several others. Feel the hate..i mean love from both sides.

No, the anti-Apple crap, not the anti-anti-Apple stuff. Why would we want the former at all? The latter is simply a response to it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Actually Just_Me.... it's just you...

• Reply 7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Actually Just_Me.... it's just you...

theres 1. Feel the love

• Reply 8 of 15
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    theres 1. Feel the love

@Tallest Skil
    @Just_Me

Well isn't this a lively discussion about nano sims. Nice to see you boys engaging in something stimulating. Why don't you take it outside or get a room or whatever but stop wasting the space here.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Well isn't this a lively discussion about nano sims.

We've both given our take on the matter. I believe the Apple solution is the best as it required the least change and had the greatest familiarity. He disagrees.
  • Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

We've both given our take on the matter. I believe the Apple solution is the best as it required the least change and had the greatest familiarity. He disagrees.

Where did I disagree?

• Reply 11 of 15
    Where did I disagree?

Ah, never mind, then. Apologies.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, the anti-Apple crap, not the anti-anti-Apple stuff. Why would we want the former at all? The latter is simply a response to it.

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, never mind, then. Apologies.

being a global moderator and all, are these official AI positions?

• Reply 13 of 15

Genuine question, is it probable that Apple will have had time to include the smaller Sim into its new iPhone?

Or, was it Apples intention to use this Sim no matter whether it was ratified as a standard?

• Reply 14 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    <vc><strong>European wireless operators are placing orders for nano-SIM cards in anticipation of the as yet unannounced sixth-generation iPhone which is expected to leverage the technology when it is released this fall.</strong>

Apple's European carrier partners have placed "<a href="http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/40a2937e-cf4e-11e1-bfd9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz20owHeFrc">multiple orders</a>" with chipmakers for the newly-ratified nano-SIM card, reports the <em>Financial Times</em>, a move

I can't read the originating article as I don't have an account @ FT.com

"FT.com articles are only available to registered users and subscribers"

So, 4FF it is. Welcome to PushPush. Will that mean we don't get a Liquid Metal device accompanying our device?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Here we go again. It took several weeks to get a pay as you go Micro Sim from O2 when the iPhone 4 launched. I had to continue using my old iPhone 3G while my new iPhone 4 sat at home with nothing in it's SIM slot.

For the amount of space saved this does feel rather pointless. Just make the phone (and the screen) bigger. Problem solved.