Domestic data shows Mac sales down 10% in June quarter

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
According to the most recent U.S. sales data from NPD, Apple's Mac sales ended the June quarter down 10 percent from the same period one year ago though momentum from WWDC's MacBook lineup refresh could carry growth of 5 percent.

Despite the dip in domestic sales numbers, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster notes that data for the month of June shows a bump of 1 percent and expects Mac growth of 5 percent, which is in line with Street estimates. He goes on to say that Apple's reported Mac growth outpaced NPD's five percent contraction estimates by 12 points in the March quarter to end up seven percent year over year.

Munster believes that sales momentum seen as a result of Apple's Mac lineup refresh at WWDC in early June, which bumped specs of core products like the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, in June will carry over into the "back to school" season. The refresh, lead by the new MacBook Pro with Retina display, resulted in a per NPD Mac growth of negative 23 percent in May to up one percent in June.

The analyst sees iPhone sales as the real story for the June quarter and expects 28 to 29 million units sold compared to more conservative buy side consensus of 25 to 27 million.

"Regardless of the June number, we believe focus will shift to the iPhone 5, which we expect in October," Munster writes.

Estimated Revenue
Source: Piper Jaffray

Performance of Apple's iPod line was down 21 percent year-to-year according to NPD data and is in line with Munster's model of 6.3 million unit sales, down 16 percent from 2011. Street estimates have iPod growth down 16 percent from the year ago period.

Overall, Apple is estimated to bring in $37.1 billion in revenues for the June quarter, up from 2011's $28.5 billion.

Munster reiterates an overweight stock rating on strong sales of Apple's upcoming next-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Performance of Apple's iPod line was down 21 percent year-to-year according to NPD data and down 16 percent from 2011.

I'm not really surprised, it's cheaper to buy a smartphone than an iPod Touch. I hope they make some radical changes this year to rejuvenate the brand.

• Reply 2 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    I'm not really surprised, it's cheaper to buy a smartphone than an iPod Touch.

$200 or $2,000.

I think you have that backward.
  • Reply 3 of 65

Good old Munster can paint a great slant to any report no matter how bad it is.

• Reply 4 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Good old Munster can paint a great slant to any report no matter how bad it is.

hermanmunster.jpg

• Reply 5 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$200 or $2,000.

I think you have that backward.

I can buy a cheap smartphone for less than a £100 today. The iPod Touch is targeted at teenagers - you are not going to buy your teenage kid an iPhone with a $80/month contract.

• Reply 6 of 65
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I can buy a cheap smartphone for less than a £100 today. The iPod Touch is targeted at teenagers - you are not going to buy your teenage kid an iPhone with a $80/month contract.

Then what are these non-adult teenage-look-alikes walking around with iPhones?

• Reply 7 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quite frankly, the whole concept of listening to a third party, that readily admits to not being in full possession of all facts and figures, but makes predictions anyway due to the their requirement to put bread on their table should be offensive to any rational, intelligent person.

• Reply 8 of 65
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Can someone tell me what RM means?

• Reply 9 of 65
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

A cheap feature phone maybe. What smartphone can you buy for that amount that doesn't require that you also sign a contract?

• Reply 10 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Then what are these non-adult teenage-look-alikes walking around with iPhones?

How many of them are on $80/month contracts?

• Reply 11 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

A cheap feature phone maybe. What smartphone can you buy for that amount that doesn't require that you also sign a contract?

You can get some very good deals in the UK at the moment. Check it out if you don't believe me http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/

iPhone 4S free on £31/mth contract, Galaxy S3 for £50 on £26/mth contract, HTC for free on £10/mth contract.

If you prefer PAYG you can get a Samsung Ace for £120, Sony Experia for £150, Blackberry Curve for £120, etc.

It's never been a cheaper time to buy a smartphone.

• Reply 12 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

But it's still far cheaper to have an iPod touch.
  • Reply 13 of 65

Quote:

But the kids don't want an iPod Touch anymore. They want a smartphone so they can listen to their music, play a few games and talk/text their friends without having to carry two devices.

Look at the numbers - sales down 20%. I think they were down about the same last year as well.

• Reply 14 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You can get some very good deals in the UK at the moment. Check it out if you don't believe me http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/

iPhone 4S free on £31/mth contract, Galaxy S3 for £50 on £26/mth contract, HTC for free on £10/mth contract.

If you prefer PAYG you can get a Samsung Ace for £120, Sony Experia for £150, Blackberry Curve for £120, etc.

iPods are still considerably cheaper, have no service plans and make for really good PMPs. How is that BB Curve at playing podcasts?

But the kids don't want an iPod Touch anymore. They want a smartphone so they can listen to their music, play a few games and talk/text their friends without having to carry two devices.

Look at the numbers - sales down 20%. I think they were down about the same last year as well.
    Your rationale is off. iPod sales are down because no one cares about iPods but because people have phones and if they can get a phone that makes for an adequate iPod replacement — like the iPhone which sold more this quarter than I think the iPod has ever sold in a quarter — then they don't need two devices.

You never stated that, you just said that phones, as a standalone device, are cheaper than iPods, and eluded to anything being labeled as a smartphone (though you really mean a feature phone running Android) makes for a great iPod replacement, which is simply not the case.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

iPod sales downward trend started when the iPhone and iPod touch were released in 2007. It is not something new. It is not that people are choosing smartphones over iPod touch. It is people are choosing smartphones AND iPod touches over regular iPods. This is why the iPod touch sales are increasing so far.

• Reply 16 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

iPods are still considerably cheaper, have no service plans and make for really good PMPs. How is that BB Curve at playing podcasts?

How many kids do you know who listen to podcasts?

• Reply 17 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

iPod sales downward trend started when the iPhone and iPod touch were released in 2007. It is not something new. It is not that people are choosing smartphones over iPod touch. It is people are choosing smartphones AND iPod touches over regular iPods. This is why the iPod touch sales are increasing so far.

You are so so wrong on that. The numbers speak for themselves, iPod sales have been declining for a few years now as people switch to iPhones instead. Most people don't want to carry 2 devices.

• Reply 18 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nasserae wrote: »

Funny how the iPod grew YoY when smartphones existed long before the iPhone and yet their highest year of sales was in 2008, the year after the iPhone was released. It's almost like the iPhone is the catalyst, not the existence of smartphones and their shitty shitty bang bang music players.

You are so so wrong on that. The numbers speak for themselves, iPod sales have been declining for a few years now as people switch to iPhones instead. Most people don't want to carry 2 devices.

Now you're changing your story. Originally you said it's because smartphones are cheaper overall than an iPod (which isn't true) and now you're saying that it's because people don't want to carry two devices (which is what I said in an earlier comment with the additional qualifier that the iPhone had a great music player built-in).
  • Reply 19 of 65
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

The iPod line is down 20% because Apple hasn't updated it in almost two years.

The high of the iPod sales were 50 million a year. Now they sell 40 million a year. That is still a crapload of iPods but Apple seriously should drop their price or update them. This has nothing to do with smartphones and everything to do with the iPod touch competing against dual and quad core Android tablets at the $200 price point.

Apple could update the front facing camera to 1.3 MP and have it shoot HD video, drop in the same processor as the iPhone 4s (now almost a year old) double the capacity to 16 gigs and keep them at $200 and they would sell like mad to all the kids. Toss in an iPad 7 inch for $250 and no one else would sell much of anything.

• Reply 20 of 65
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5190238/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7C14419512%7CiPod%7C14419719/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419719%7CiPod+touch%7C14419726.htm

£324.99 for the 63gb ipodtouch

Vs

£249.95 for a   HTC One V  on pay as you go.

You need to get a new calculator