Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a surprising turn of events it was announced on Monday that long-time Google executive Marissa Mayer tendered her resignation and will start at her new position as president and CEO at Yahoo on Tuesday.

The former executive's departure not only marks a devastating loss for Google but an uncommon win for Yahoo, a company that has had trouble attracting and retaining top talent in recent years.

Mayer, who started with the internet search giant as employee No. 20, was an integral part of Google's success and played a large role in creating the site's search homepage, Gmail, Google News and Google Images, reports The New York Times. The former high-ranking executive was also responsible for Google Maps, was in charge of more than 1,000 product managers and sat on Google's operating committee.

Hired as Google's first female engineer 13 years ago, Mayer has been highly visible in the public arena as she was often tapped to give keynote presentations and be the face of the company in a variety of magazine articles. Despite her impressive credentials progress up the corporate ladder at Mountain View appeared uncertain following her last promotion to vice president of local services.

While Mayer said she ?had an amazing time at Google," the new Yahoo chief noted that "it was a reasonably easy decision? to make the move. She went on to say that Yahoo is ?one of the best brands on the Internet." The newly-minted CEO was approached about the position in June.

Marissa Mayer
New Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer.

As head of Yahoo, Mayer said she plans to leverage the company?s e-mail, finance and sports brands as well as push its presence in the video broadband and mobile sectors.

Mayer will be taking the place of Scott Thompson who resigned after four months on the job when the legitimacy of his college degree was called into question. Yahoo's leadership has been in flux since Carol Bartz took over for company co-founder Jerry Yang in 2009 only to be ousted in 2011. Yang regained the title of "Chief Yahoo" but resigned in January to pursue other interests.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

Six months tops. Next!

'not saying she's not capable. Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround. We'll see.

• Reply 2 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If Apple really wants to put the kibosh on Google, they could take a page from Yahoo's playbook and hire away their top talent. Brain drain!

• Reply 3 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Six months tops. Next!

'not saying she's not capable. Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround. We'll see.

I think she'll do better, however she should pull a power player's move and fire the entire board of directors. Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

• Reply 4 of 105
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think she'll do better, however she should pull a power player's move and fire the entire board of directors. Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

The CEO doesn't have the authority to fire the board.

• Reply 5 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    igxqrrl wrote: »

Jobs did.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    She's cute... and worth a reported $300 million. I wonder if she's on OK Cupid. ????

igxqrrl wrote: »

I think it all depends on the bylaws.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

She's cute... and worth a reported $300 million. I wonder if she's on OK Cupid. ????

I totally agree.  The Yahoo board should be bulldozed down and rebuilt.  Biggest bunch of monkeys next to Microsoft's.

All that being said, it's about time someone hired a hot CEO. :)

• Reply 8 of 105
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

She's not only very attractive but she's also a very talented lady. If anyone can turnaround Yahoo I think she can. It's not healthy to have Google with such a dominant position in the market so I really hope she succeeds and gives Google some genuine competition for a change. I might even start using Yahoo again.

• Reply 9 of 105
    Good turnaround for yahoo
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Can I google her yahoo?

LOL

She's very attractive! I wish her best of luck! Not to mention she will be dealing with the recent breach of info yahoo just experienced!
  • Reply 11 of 105
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    She's not only very attractive but she's also a very talented lady. If anyone can turnaround Yahoo I think she can. It's not healthy to have Google with such a dominant position in the market so I really hope she succeeds and gives Google some genuine competition for a change. I might even start using Yahoo again.

I agree 100%. With her experience and expertise with Google I really hope she cleans up their site so it's not just a visual mess.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Shame on you for making a sexist comment.

• Reply 13 of 105
    applegreen wrote: »
    Shame on you for making a sexist comment.

What is prejudice, stereotyping, or discriminating against women in my post. I made no comment that women (or pretty women) shouldn't/couldn't be execs of companies. I merely pointed out that I find her attractive. It's a superficial comment but nothing it about it has an air of sexism or worse, misogyny.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What is prejudice, stereotyping, or discriminating against women in my post. I made no comment that women (or pretty women) shouldn't/couldn't be execs of companies. I merely pointed out that I find her attractive. It's a superficial comment but nothing it about it has an air of sexism or worse, misogyny.

Just ignore him. He'll reply with 'meh', anyway. :lol:
  • Reply 15 of 105
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Why did non of my bosses look like this lol. It's true - things are better in California.

• Reply 16 of 105
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

She's done a lot of things, but she's never been a CEO.  And only recently did she become a member of the Wal Mart board, so not much experience there either.  Time will tell.  Hope they give her at least two years.

• Reply 17 of 105
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

If you had merely said that she is attractive, that would have been acceptable.  Perhaps.  But, you made a comment that many would consider demeaning when you "wondered if she's on OK Cupid."  Would you have wondered aloud in her presence?

• Reply 18 of 105
    welshdog wrote: »
    Time will tell.  Hope they give her at least two years.

Hope Yahoo! has two years to give her.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Will she be taking the malware there, too?
  • Reply 20 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

She looks very sentient.