Former Apple exec Bertrand Serlet joins Parallels board

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was announced on Tuesday that former Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet joined the board of directors at virtualization software company Parallels.

Serlet, often called the "father of Mac OS X," joined late co-founder Steve Jobs at NeXT in 1989 and continued on to Apple before retiring in 2011 to reportedly "focus less on products and more on science."

It was reported late last month that Serlet had been working with at least two other former Apple employees on a cloud computing startup called "Upthere." Located in Palo Alto, Calif., the company is described as a cloud hosting provider with "consulting services in the field of cloud computing."

Bertrand Serlet
Former Apple SVP Bertrand Serlet

Serlet will be a non-executive director at his new Parallels position, reports All Things D though it is not fully clear what duties that post entails.

In a statement regarding the new position, Parallels CEO Birger Steen described Serlet as ?the rare combination of a software visionary and master of execution.?

Parallels is well-known for its virtualization and automation software which allows users to run the Windows operating system on Macs as well as Linux computers. The company has expanded into cloud computing as well as enterprise since it was founded in 1999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Serlet started @ NeXT at the same time with that other visionary:

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/172351/width/575/height/657][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/172351/width/575/height/657[/IMG][/URL]

edit: why does Huddler copy images into the AI domain? We used to be able to trace back to the origin of images where one could see which sites are being read by AI members. But I digress...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Hilarity and taunting of the opposition ensues... 

• Reply 3 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Serlet started @ NeXT at the same time with that other visionary:

Love the signature!

Surface will definitely not suffice in the grapple with Apple.

• Reply 4 of 13
    ciparisciparis Posts: 87member
    A senior VP from Apple is relegated to board member of an also-ran virtualization company? Also-ran is not the most disappointing part of the previous sentence.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quite a coup. The first of one of VMware and Parallels to make a version of their product that runs with no kexts, and can therefore be sold on the App Store, will make a fortune.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

The picture used for this makes his eyes remind me of the Visitors in the old V tv show heh.

• Reply 7 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hard to believe this thread hasn't yet derailed into Parallels versus VMWare!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The picture used for this makes his eyes remind me of the Visitors in the old V tv show heh.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he has a fake eye? He kinda looks like a cyborg. Or, that's some horrible photography. Or, perhaps this was intentional am I'm missing something?

• Reply 9 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he has a fake eye? He kinda looks like a cyborg. Or, that's some horrible photography. Or, perhaps this was intentional am I'm missing something?

Let me think ... How about tact, compassion, manners ...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he has a fake eye?

Let's all have a good gossip about someone's appearance shall we? And after that we can all get our nails done and go bra shopping.
  • Reply 11 of 13

I wonder how such a talented man can sit on a board and just say yes or no to company ideas and not want to jump in to help develop things. Wouldn't jumping in and helping be part of his nature? Maybe he is just an added figurehead who will only show up at stock holder meetings to give credibility to the company.

Some day I might buy Parallels for my Linux computer so I'll have Windows with Silverlight. With Adobe going away the internet movie streaming sources will be switching to Silverlight. I've already found this to be the case at one site. Will this mean Microsoft will put more effort into Silverlight? They've maintained it for Netflix and corporate web sites. Without Adobe another DRM platform will be needed.

• Reply 12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Glass eye, hence all the eye products - iOS, iWork, iLife, etc., etc. 

Sorry, couldn't resist and, no, not original. 

• Reply 13 of 13
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Just noticed that the guy is french, cool.