Sharing problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I've been trying to set up a shared account between an iMac and a MBP connected by LiveWire AV adaptor.  No problem at all getting the MBP to access sharing with the iMac. Works well with no trouble. However, no matter the attempts made to have the iMac access sharing with the MBP, it doesn't. I've tried every configuration I can think of but no joy.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. 

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

In the Finder - go Cmmnd K>then choose Browse. You should see a list of all networked computers.

Select the MBP. Select Connect As enter user name and password for the MBP. Click connect.

ur in

err, unless you've done all that.

Hope that works.

• Reply 2 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Command K brings up 'Network'; however, it's empty.  The iMac 'computer name', 'Desktop', and 'Documents' indicate that they're 'Shared Folders', so I assume that's how the MBP is able to access it, but the MBP doesn't show up on the iMac anywhere that I can find. I suppose the problem is on the MBP as I don't see that any of its files are shared. I've tried several things but can't seem to get it to share.

Edit:

Now, the MBP indicates that everything reflects "Shared Folder"; yet, it doesn't show up in "Network" on the iMac. 

• Reply 3 of 6
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Sorry seq - I forgot about this thread.
    hmm - I wonder then if the settings are right on your modem.
    DHCP ? Or some other config - like a shared intent connection?
    I'm not familiar with the LiveWire device although it looks pretty much plugnplay. Any control panel you can bring up ? It will probably want to be in bridge mode so it isn't assigning ip addresses that will conflict with the modem. Which MAYBE why you can't see the mbp in the Cmnd-K>Network>browse panel
    I think it has has to be a network config issue - somewhere in your settings ....
    cheers
  • Reply 4 of 6

RobM,

Thanks for your input; however, nothing seems to work.  I've never been able to establish a connection between the iMac and the MBP even though all the indications are there. "Shared Folders", etc.  Recently, the connection between the MBP and the iMac quit and nothing I could do would bring it back.  

This is the error message I get when I try to connect to the iMac from the MBP:

The server “----------” may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Have done all that using all the combinations I can think of, but alas, no joy.  I know that the two computers have a physical connection as I can access the internet from the (satellite) MBP.  

• Reply 5 of 6

RobM,

Can you hear the Twilight Zone music?  

After trying everything you suggested and everything I could think of, NOTHING worked and hasn't worked completely since the onslaught of my attempts.

HOWEVER, a few minutes ago, I looked over at the sidebar and, lo and behold, the iMac was connected to the MBP.  I looked at the MBP and, hallelujah, it was connected to the iMac.  I have no clue as to what happened.  Poltergeists????  I'm not going to hold my breath because I know that same poltergeist is going to pull the rug out from under the connection, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Oh ye (me) of little faith, how can I doubt?  Experience, experience, experience.

Anyway, Rob, me boy, I appreciate your hanging in there until this alternate universe kicked in. Wormhole??

Seq

• Reply 6 of 6

RobM,

You heard it here first.  The connection between the iMac and the MBP disappeared. It worked for a while and then poof.  The one between the MBP and the iMac is still working.  

I won't annoy you with anymore updates. This thing has a mind of its own.