iOS 6 message prompts speculation carriers may charge for 3G FaceTime

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Throttling and messages will "magically" disappear once they do away with the last "unlimited" plan.  They will encourage you to use all the data you want, and watch the slow network complaints return, just like the complaints awhile back about lousy slow data coverage until they magically decided to do away with unlimited plans for new subscribers (they then turned on the so-called 4G speedier network just prior to the iphone4s arrival.

ATT is a shark of the worst kind, and Verizon is no better.

Simple idea:  Who NEEDS to see the person on the other end - most young folks just text anyhow, and don't care to talk anymore.  I predict Facetime will get little real usage anyhow, regardless of the charges levied by the carriers.

Verizon still allows unthrottled LTE for those who have unlimited grandfathered.

• Reply 22 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The FCC really has to step in here and give the carriers a choice: start following principles of network neutrality, or lose their license to the public airwaves. What's next, you have to pay for a data plan but pay extra to access the Web?

Don't forget, this is yet another area where Google (in conspiracy with Verizon) has plotted to harm consumers.

What makes this another plot of Google?

• Reply 23 of 84
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

You're more optimistic than I am. If they get away with this an extra iMessage monthly fee will be next. No difference.

How is there no difference? I mean, there are some similarities. But no difference?

• Reply 24 of 84
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Verizon still allows unthrottled LTE for those who have unlimited grandfathered.

Yeah - but for how long, once ATT gets their hands on the iphone5, with LTE capability.  Once they do away will unlimited, the collusive giants will have their way with all of us.  The days of unlimited data are numbered, I'm afraid.

• Reply 25 of 84
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member
    Now the question is what if you already have FaceTime enabled over cellular before installing iOS 6 Beta 3. Will you still get the error? I guess I am going to have to do a FaceTime call over 3G now to see if I get the message since I already have it enabled.

Anyone already test this?
  • Reply 26 of 84
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    bagman wrote: »
    Simple idea:  Who NEEDS to see the person on the other end - most young folks just text anyhow, and don't care to talk anymore.  I predict Facetime will get little real usage anyhow, regardless of the charges levied by the carriers, and any families who do a lot of video talking will just use wifi or skype anyhow, rather than cellular data.

You can use FaceTime for audio only if you want. It doesn't have to be video.
  • Reply 27 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

You can use FaceTime for audio only if you want. It doesn't have to be video.

Why would you use Facetime for audio only - hello, they call it "cellular phone service" - that old favorite we all used to use a lot, unless you are bumping up against the antiquated call minutes limit, and need to use wifi on facetime?  This is what makes it so confusing to consumers - trying to get around the antiquated pricing structure that we now have, while trying not to get gauged too badly by the shark carriers.

• Reply 28 of 84
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Verizon will no longer be honoring grandfathered unlimited data plans once the contract is up. You will have to select a new data package. So this will only be true until the turn-around of customers contracts who have unlimited data. 

• Reply 29 of 84
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

to which service?

Can't speak for him/her but I plan to switch to Straight Talk. $45 for unlimited voice, text and 2GB of data (throttled down after 2GB). It doesn't support visual voicemail but I can live with that.

-kpluck

• Reply 30 of 84
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Sprint is starting to look better and better.  Unlimited data AND cheaper plans.  Anyone here have Sprint with their iPhone?

• Reply 31 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Verizon will no longer be honoring grandfathered unlimited data plans once the contract is up. You will have to select a new data package. So this will only be true until the turn-around of customers contracts who have unlimited data. 

The carriers are absolutedly salivating at the thought of the data revenue they will make on LTE network usage - most will blow through $50/month plans in 30-45 minutes of LTE video usage.  I can hear the parents screaming already at the bill they will get - reminds me of the first call minute overage charges I got on my son's first cellphone - ah yes, those were the days.

• Reply 32 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

False.  If contract is up you can keep using your phone. No one forces you to upgrade. If you want to change your phone you can just purchase a phone via third party (full price). Who says you need to always be on contract. 

Phones are the cheapest part of owning a smartphone.  

• Reply 33 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Clearly all data is not equal. 

• Reply 34 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Clearly all data is not equal. 

Well they lost their cash cow with imessage, and they already removed unlimited data so now they need another revenue source.

• Reply 35 of 84
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    bagman wrote: »
    Why would you use Facetime for audio only - hello, they call it "cellular phone service" - that old favorite we all used to use a lot, unless you are bumping up against the antiquated call minutes limit, and need to use wifi on facetime?  This is what makes it so confusing to consumers - trying to get around the antiquated pricing structure that we now have, while trying not to get gauged too badly by the shark carriers.

Voice plans are expensive. If I can do everything with my data only plan, I most certainly will.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Sprint is starting to look better and better.  Unlimited data AND cheaper plans.  Anyone here have Sprint with their iPhone?

I do. Where I live I get great voice coverage and speeds averaging between 900K and 2M which is very good for CDMA data. Sprint just rolled out LTE service here in Atlanta and every week will be adding more cities so it sucks to be stuck on a 4S that is 3G only even when LTE is available. But we shouldn't have too wait too many more months for an LTE iPhone and Sprint has repeated many times they will keep unlimited data even for LTE. They won't do it forever, but we should be safe for at least another 2 years. 

• Reply 37 of 84
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I keep complaining of the high upfront cost of the iPhone in India. But when I see the ridiculously high monthly charges in the US, it feels like I am luckier in India!

I have to pay about $5 for 1GB, and $13 for 5GB (I never reach close to 1GB even!). And absolutely no limits on what I do with the data - tethering, FaceTime, whatever. And I get extremely low rates on voice, less than 1 cent a minute, and pretty much free text - first 100 msgs a day are free.

I pay $800 upfront for the basic 4S, but get back about $400 when I decide to sell it to upgrade. So works out about $16 a month in phone costs over 2 years. And if I use the phone for 3 years, just $11 per month.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

The carriers are absolutedly salivating at the thought of the data revenue they will make on LTE network usage

Quite a vivid imagination, the salivating, that is. Who exactly is salivating? The CEO, the CFO, the shareholders? AT&T et al are a corporation. Likely some of the top executives probably have some performance bonuses but they are just trying to keep their jobs and return a value to the shareholder, no different than Apple.

• Reply 39 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

FaceTime operates over a data network, and is not part of their voice minutes.  FaceTime can be done over WiFi or hopefully soon, the 4G network.  Just with iMessage, it would not be that much of a stretch for Apple to forward voice calls as data, further denying the telecoms future revenue.  All this coming down is the primary reason imho that the telecoms are doing away with "unlimited" data plans.  It would not surprise me if in 5 years, most (if not all) communications on cell phones will be primarily VoIP-based.

Charging-extra for FaceTime capability over 4G is a hugely moronic move if there is truth to that rumor.  If I pay $x/mo for a 2GB data plan, who the hell cares how I use that allotment?  That would be a seriously slippery slope the telecoms would be on if they pulled that stunt.

• Reply 40 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Presumably they mean charge extra over and above your data plan? Sadly I'm sure if they can they will, it's just a case of how much.

More likely, this might be the carrot to get you off your grandfathered unlimited data plan. Facetime didn't work when you signed your contract and it will continue to not work. Therefore, you are getting the service you signed up for. If you want Facetime, upgrade your plan (ie, drop your unlimited plan). Charging extra for a particular data service would likely land them in a lot of hot water with the regulators. But not giving you a service you never had would be very defendable by the carriers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It has to do with the fact all major US Carriers price structure equivalently, with a gimmick to wink and nudge one to go their way.

Really? Looked at the plans recently? The minutes were similar between ATT and Verizon, but texting, for example, had different options (Verizon had more). And Sprints plans are even more different. Through into consideration Verizons new Share Everything and it's quite different than either Sprint or ATT.

Not saying any of them are great, but they are different.