Users say Apple's iPhone worth $313 to them, Android averages $220

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

We could easily surmise that Android users are much lower end.

You might well surmise, but you would likely be wrong.

This article seems to imply that iPhone users, by and large, have little clue as to the real cost of the device and so end up buying something that provides less value to them than they would be willing to pay for openly.

• Reply 62 of 70
    My current phone (Galaxy s2) is worth more to me than my iPhones ever were.
    I think people forget about the cost/lack of value of the contracts. And many people think an Apple logo brings value. Value is in the mind of the beholder- it has little to do with the product itself.
    This article is useless; survey is valuable.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

My current phone (Galaxy s2) is worth more to me than my iPhones ever were.

I think people forget about the cost/lack of value of the contracts. And many people think an Apple logo brings value. Value is in the mind of the beholder- it has little to do with the product itself.

This article is useless; survey is valuable.

Nice to see this opinion here. I use Galaxy S II as my work phone (I could choose between S II and iPhone 4S). Galaxy S II just suite my needs better. I like its big screen. I have all the apps I need, it has micro sd slot, which means I could put there my 32 GB micro sd card (which I already had), this is enough space for all my music. Having this experience with S II, if I'm to choose my personal phone, it won't by an iPhone. For me it is not worth the money it costs and it actually gives worse service than android phone with bigger screen.

• Reply 64 of 70
    ptramptram Posts: 58member

The amount shown in the poll is exactly how I paid my iPhone 4 from a carrier (with the addition of a satisfying call plan). It is the right price for this device, and I wouldn't have paid more. I guess this is the meaning of the poll and the relative answers.

• Reply 65 of 70
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

In this case they are saying iphone uses put a higher value or their more willing to pay more for an iphone. It says that andriod use are not willing to pay as much. So either iphone uses do not care about spending as much and the android user are cheap, which we all suspect since most Andriod phones are giving away and the uses do not use data. Or an Iphone has a much higher perceived value to users.

No, all it's saying pretty much that in a poll of 208 iPhone users, the average value they assign their phone is $313. If there is any meaning beyond that, it's mostly just spin and BS.

• Reply 66 of 70
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

This has to be one of the most senseless polls I've seen yet.

• Reply 67 of 70
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

it's a reasonable question, but it needs more scientific analysis

a butcher knife and a scalpel 'effectively do the same thing'  and surprisingly, the butcher knife costs more per unit.  To a butcher, a scalpel is worthless, and to a surgeon, a butcher knife definitely limits her ability to exercise her craft.  To the patient, you want your surgeon to have a scalpel if at all possible.  and my mother (a housewife), prefers a fillet knife for just about everything 

To wit:  If I can charge you $10K for plastic surgery when using a scalpel, and get sued with malpractice if I use a Butcher knife... which knife has a higher perceived value?   If my mom measures the time and ease to prepare a meal,  would she miss either a scalpel or the butcher knife from the knife drawer.*

If the killer app on my iPhone can enable/save an additional $2000 a month in revenue (let's say a real estate broker app), vs an Android phone, what is the perceived value of that phone?

*(My dad grew up learning how to butcher meat, was Pre-Vet, then became an MD [lots of bad jokes when that topic came up, especially since my dad was a terrible suturer], so he was quite specific about his cutting instruments).

If the killer app on my Android phone can enable/save an additional $2000 a month in revenue (let's say a real estate broker app), vs an iPhone, what is the perceived value of that phone?

• Reply 68 of 70
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I wonder what those numbers would look like for people who have used both! A huge number of average, everyday Android users, who bought whatever the carrier pushed on them, and who can’t name one single concrete benefit of an “open source” phone, are enjoying a knock-off iPhone which is still totally awesome compared to the previous “feature phone” era. Yet it’s also deeply flawed in ways that truly matter to most people, and lacking in the same breadth of the same quality apps—and they just don’t know what they’re missing by not using the real thing.

And the other way round. I'm an iPhone guy. My iPhone has clear flaws (reflow, anyone?). My coworker's high end Android phone is objectively a better phone. When the next iPhone's out, I'll get it, and I'll again have the best phone in the open space. What's the point of this survey, which mixes an OS and a hardware, several categories of phones with one iPhone (to rule them all...uh, no sorry, wrong movie), which takes its "surveyed elements" not-so-randomely... and doesn't even explain what it really is measuring, and to what purpose?

Phones are in an ever-increasing spiral of getting better. That's what's important!

• Reply 69 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If the killer app on my Android phone can enable/save an additional $2000 a month in revenue (let's say a real estate broker app), vs an iPhone, what is the perceived value of that phone?

What real estate app that can save you an extra $2 K is available on Android but has no iOS equivalent?
  • Reply 70 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

And the other way round. I'm an iPhone guy. My iPhone has clear flaws (reflow, anyone?). My coworker's high end Android phone is objectively a better phone. When the next iPhone's out, I'll get it, and I'll again have the best phone in the open space. What's the point of this survey, which mixes an OS and a hardware, several categories of phones with one iPhone (to rule them all...uh, no sorry, wrong movie), which takes its "surveyed elements" not-so-randomely... and doesn't even explain what it really is measuring, and to what purpose?

Phones are in an ever-increasing spiral of getting better. That's what's important!

that is great and is exactly what consumers want. To some level, the tech world is able to achieve that, but countless lawsuits and the refusal to license halts further advancement in tech. Taking away a stepping stone does not necessarily mean you can find another.