Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Game Center and Chess 3.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

I love when English speakers get all bent out of shape over regional dialects. -- Nothing like early morning bigotry to start your day off right!

Apple is an American company. -- American English is to be expected.

AMERICA!!

First off, Apple is actually a global company and more of it's workers live and work outside of the USA than inside. 

Secondly, you don't seem to know what "bigotry" is.  (hint: what you are doing here is a lot closer to bigotry than what you are arguing against.)

• Reply 22 of 69
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

What I'd really like to know is how to delete this bloatware from my Macs and iOs devices (plus Dashboard and Launchpad). If I wanted pap like this I could buy a windows machine.

I'm with you on some level.  I don't use or want game center- I'd like to delete it (at least off my phone and it can store as a backup in iTunes).  And Newstand is my pet peeve on iOS.  That stupid thing I can't even shove into a folder- it has to be all on it's own.  I realize people use both apps, but it shouldn't be mandatory (just like iBooks isn't).  It should be installed and then I can delete with a push of a button.

Launchpad and Dashboard btw don't take up any memory whatsoever on OSX- 500kb total.  Just take them off your dock and its a done deal.  I actually like dashboard as opposed to my old applications folder by the trashcan.  I can arrange them as I would like and use gestures.  I also setup Dashboard the way it was before and set it up as its own space.  But I still like the icon there as a quick weather checker and calculator.  I'll definitely take off Game center though.

And while there are features you might not want, its definitely not a typical PC.  Windows is rarely the problem as clean installs are pretty nice (relatively speaking).  Its the mess that Lenovo, HP, Asus, Dell, etc. put on there that makes it awful right off the bat.

• Reply 23 of 69
    jimoasejimoase Posts: 47member

in 1970 there was a divide in France on what words were French and could be used and what words could not because they weren't French.  For instance the French folks I worked with in the Paris area would not say "computer" or "flip flop" while we were developing computer peripherals.  

An interesting side note... Three divisions were used to develop two peripherals because the project managers of the peripheral projects could not agree on the electrical level of logical zero and the bit weight order.  The third division created a communications translator.  My job ... moderate the design review meeting.

• Reply 24 of 69

Isn't the point of Game Center for Mac, really, to sync your achievements across iOS and OS X? Then why, is there no Apple chess app on iOS?

• Reply 25 of 69

Sorry dpnorton82. Were you being serious?

Oh yes digitalclips. That is what we should be worried about.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

I couldn't agree more as a Brit orginally, now American. To the narrow minded Brits that think this way I say this ... Think of American as (for most) the one foreign language that you can actually understand and be grateful the spelling is easier to fathom than French.

If I were still in the UK I'd be more worried about English remaining the main language spoken there than worrying about the on going linguistic developments of it in a country that split off hundreds of years ago. Meanwhile I'd suggest Punjabi and Sharia classes to hedge your bets.

Quote:

I love when English speakers get all bent out of shape over regional dialects. -- Nothing like early morning bigotry to start your day off right!

AMERICA!!

• Reply 26 of 69

I have to add my voice to the list of people who do not like the amount of stuff being thrown in to OS X nowadays.

Its not so bad if you don't have to use it or it can be ignored.

But the changes post 10.6 to iCal, Address Book etc. Are possibly the worst UI and interface construction I can ever remember Apple doing all the way back to System 7 and before. 

Infuriatingly useless. In some cases such as iCal it makes working with it far more difficult. It is disappointing to see Apple turn from what it was to this far too padded down FisherPrice design. You can only pad down so much before you just destroy things. OS X Server comes to mind.

Still it may all change back again at some point. As long as they finally process that less is not always more.

• Reply 27 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Sorry dpnorton82. Were you being serious?

Oh yes digitalclips. That is what we should be worried about.........

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;"> </p>

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/qt/trspelling.htm

T'was a joke but trying to be as silly as the post being critical of the spelling of 'center' (which was all because a the dear old Scot btw) /smile
  • Reply 28 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    First off, Apple is actually a global company and more of it's workers live and work outside of the USA than inside. 

Secondly, you don't seem to know what "bigotry" is.  (hint: what you are doing here is a lot closer to bigotry than what you are arguing against.)

To be fair he posted in response to being told Americans should spell Center as Centre by a Brit ... I don't think defending American English against lack of historical knowledge is bigoted in the slightest, rather it is to be seen as an attempt at education ... and I repeat this link which should end the conversation I would have thought! http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/qt/trspelling.htm
  • Reply 29 of 69
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have always wished I could remove Game Centre and all it's links and connections from all my iOS devices.  

I hope it stays at least out of the way on all my Macs.  

If Apple is going to change course by stuffing all this crap like Game Centre and Twitter and Facebook into their OS's, I think they should also change course on their traditional reluctance to give the user any control over what's installed and what they see.  

I know Apple believes that they should not give the end user too many configuration options, (and rightly so), but we should be able to opt-out of all these "social additions" they've been making lately. If we can't, then it really isn't a proper operating system anymore it's more like a marketing tool.  

In my experience, these value-adding OS X and iOS services are opt-in, and invisible prior to activation. Is there a focus-stealing popup balloon or auto-launching wizard periodically bothering you to sign in? Is Apple allowing OEM partners to bundle Mountain Lion or iPhones with their own software, including trial programs and adware? Of course not. For actual forced social additions and marketing tools, see Windows (all versions) and non-i smartphones (all kinds), especially the HTC Status (light-up hardware Facebook button!).

• Reply 30 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by oomu View Post

the one true french is the one spoken in France, not Quebec, Sweden, Belgium, Africa... hu... okay...

-

now seriously :

Apple is an american company, yes it's true, but apple should accept to be a GLOBAL company : to translate in local language with all their quirks EACH core applications !

for example in french Os X, _everything_ is translated but "App Store" ... why why ??? "Game Center" in french.. WHY? ALL the text inside "App store" and "Game center" are translated but the title (?).

you could say : "because it would complicate stuff if each application had a different name for each country" but it's already the case for the OTHERS applications, for example :

"Activity Monitor" - > "Moniteur d'activité" (in french it's more romantic, no ? image )

"Preview" -> "Aperçu".

I can understand why "itunes" stays "itunes", it's a name, a brand. (iChanson ? image ) , but "Game Center" and "App store" ?! it should be "Centre de jeux" et "Magasin d'applications", it's so utilitarian. "game center" is not a brand. Maybe "app store" is, but not "Game Center".

it seems for some new concepts, Apple want to force their american buzzword to the world.

in the end, I understand, respectfully, why "center" can be annoying, even for some english speakers whom you say "what the fuss , it's mostly the same".

Both App Store and Game Center are brands, so a translation would not be suitable, although a love the french word for Game Center...

I would just about to say Safari wasn't translated, and then it hit me, its a french word :P But I'm happy if Apple stops translating their App names, gets confusing, specially if you have one computer in French and the other in English, was about to pull my hair the other day when Spotlight couldn't find the Activity Monitor, haha :P

PS. We in Sweden speak SWEDISH, not french, french is here an optional third language (like German and Spanish) haha

• Reply 31 of 69
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

AMERICA!!

You have spectacularly missed the point with your post. 

Apple sells their products worldwide, and it's perfectly normal in such cases to localise for each market. That could be as small as changing a plug, or as large as changing the entire language.  To fix a few incorrect spellings wouldn't be difficult, it would just be polite and courteous. Moreover English is spoken by many countries in the world, all of which use standard English spelling, except one country. Therefore it would seem pretty sensible to spell things in the way most English speakers are used to, or at least give us that option.

By your rational Apple should never change anything and sell the US spec hardware and software unmodified everywhere in the world. That would do wonders for their sales, don't you think?

• Reply 32 of 69
    intelintel Posts: 7member

In America it is spelled Center. Apple is located in the USA. Why would Apple change center to centre for you backward folks in the EU?

• Reply 33 of 69
    atashiatashi Posts: 59member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

:

Is there a focus-stealing popup balloon or auto-launching wizard periodically bothering you to sign in?

Yes! This!

I used to enjoy a pinball game in iOS then when they added game centre, every time I launched it I would get stuck in an argument with the wretched thing and its stupid popups. "Oh Noes! You're not logged into game centre!" "Oh Noes! You're not logged into game centre!" "Oh Noes! You're not logged into game centre!" "Oh Noes! You're not logged into game centre!" (i am paraphrasing but that's how it came across)

No, I'm not logged in to game centre. I wasn't logged in yesterday either. And I won't be logged in tomorrow. 

So from my point of view, Game centre sucked all the fun out of that app and I stopped using it.

I understand that might be due to the developer not implementing something correctly, but I would still prefer to be able to delete or disable it at the system level. Along with, Youtube, stocks, newstand, et cetera. There's at least a half dozen apps I would like to banish and never have to see again. Game centre is at the top of the list.

• Reply 34 of 69
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't agree more as a Brit orginally, now American. To the narrow minded Brits that think this way I say this ... Think of American as (for most) the one foreign language that you can actually understand and be grateful the spelling is easier to fathom than French.

If I were still in the UK I'd be more worried about English remaining the main language spoken there than worrying about the on going linguistic developments of it in a country that split off hundreds of years ago. Meanwhile I'd suggest Punjabi and Sharia classes to hedge your bets.

To continue along that track, would it be acceptable to modify a painting to suit the tastes of a certain nation? Say, drawing a moustache onto the Mona Lisa?  English is English, anything else just isn't cricket. 

Not sure what on earth you're going on about in your second paragraph. Perhaps you've been importing The Daily Heil?

• Reply 35 of 69
    intelintel Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, firstly and foremost, APPLE is an American company, get that thru your thick heads!

• Reply 36 of 69
    kotatsu wrote: »
    You have spectacularly missed the point with your post. 

Apple sells their products worldwide, and it's perfectly normal in such cases to localise for each market. That could be as small as changing a plug, or as large as changing the entire language.  To fix a few incorrect spellings wouldn't be difficult, it would just be polite and courteous. Moreover English is spoken by many countries in the world, all of which use standard English spelling, except one country. Therefore it would seem pretty sensible to spell things in the way most English speakers are used to, or at least give us that option.

By your rational Apple should never change anything and sell the US spec hardware and software unmodified everywhere in the world. That would do wonders for their sales, don't you think?
    Game Center, like App Store and iTunes, is a branding of platform and service that was named in the good ol' USofA.

By your rationale, we'd have to localize iPad, iPhone, and all other branded words for each market, which is unnecessarily confusing to product identity.

I was merely responding to the incidence of someone telling me that speakers of my language are doing it wrong. -- Which is an unfortunate sentiment, in my opinion.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by artistry View Post

Of all Apple's UI designs game centre is the most appropriate. It seems trendy for people to go on about skeuomorphism, like anyone knew what it was until recently, and completely ignoring the fact that Mac OS has always been skeuomorphic (folders and files, for example, 3D shadows on window bars blah blah blah.

Get over it. It'll change in a few years anyway like most styles. I quite like Game Center's design - I bet you wouldn't be complaining of someone else did it.

As for the English thing, well whatever. So Americans spell Centre the wrong way, so what, it's an American English OS and Game Center is a "brand". if they changed it based on where you lived it would cease to be a brand and just be a description. Might as well call it "achievement recording app"

What I do hate, however, is when companies list language as "English" and then "international English" as opposed to "English" and "American English" and, worse, use the US flag to signify English. Fortunately Apple hasn't done that...

What was the topic again? Oh yes, chess on game Center.

Folders and files are not skeumorphism...

• Reply 38 of 69
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Quote:

I assume the Mac bridge playing community will be all over this. My wife is an avid bridge player in RL and tries on line. Most online bridge she has found is very PC oriented on clunky, horrible web interfaces. There used to be a great Gamesmith Mac online game called 3D Bridge Deluxe but they dropped the multi user server back end a couple of years ago. I hope they resurrect that with Game Center.

I recently reviewed Mac Bridge options for my father-in-law (a fairly recent Mac convert) and I agree. Bridge Baron seemed to be fairly highly rated, but (IIRC) was around $80 (!) There were a couple other ones, all with a pretty ugly old-school feel to them. There are some on-line options that look a little better, but are also limited. So I think there is a market there.

BTW, when I sent him links to the various program downloads, he said he wanted something on a disk. So I burned the installers to a disk. He's an old dog - new tricks don't come easy. But considering he took up computing at around 80 year of age, he's not doing so bad, I guess.

• Reply 39 of 69
    cyrmocyrmo Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Also as an aside, would it be too hard for Apple to spell CENTRE correctly for the rest of the world? Only the US mangles English so badly, everyone other English speaking nation just speaks and spells English.

Sigh.  I wish Apple would just use the *original British language* and rename it Canolfan Gêm.  None of this "English" nonsense.

;-)

• Reply 40 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    stniuk wrote: »
    Get rid of the GREEN!

I hate the yellow in the Notes app more, but I'm nearly used to that now too.