Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Game Center and Chess 3.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    cyrmocyrmo Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intel View Post

In America it is spelled Center. Apple is located in the USA. Why would Apple change center to centre for you backward folks in the EU?

Okay, how about just for the 33 million folks next-door to the U.S.A.?  Or Australia?  Or Hong Kong?  Or anywhere else English is spoken or written aside from U.S.A.?

• Reply 42 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    To continue along that track, would it be acceptable to modify a painting to suit the tastes of a certain nation? Say, drawing a moustache onto the Mona Lisa?  English is English, anything else just isn't cricket. 

Not sure what on earth you're going on about in your second paragraph. Perhaps you've been importing The Daily Heil?

Your post is too funny. English is English ... At which point in history are you thinking of deciding it was baked to your approval? Ever read Chaucer, Shakespeare? It has been always will be an evolving language. You no doubt use many recent additions, pyjamas for example. Check in to your local Uni for a course on the subject it would enlighten you a great deal.

Plus I did post the link several times which explains the particular spelling being objected to in America was the work of a Brit ... A certain Mr. Carnegie.

I might add my iPad keeps trying to alter English as we know it too!
  • Reply 43 of 69
    This is relevant to gaming IMHO.

Just a note here to those with 2010 and earlier MacBook Pros that might, like me, be sad the AirPlay video feature won't function in Mountain Lion. I just tested AirParrot on a mid 2010 MBP i7 and was able to play audio and video. I tested an HD movie in the .mkv format using VLC full screen, excellent results. The quality was no different from using iTunes movies. I tested an ATV V2 and V3. Tested SL, Lion And ML. I tested with Airport Extreme and Time Capsule routers. I have not tested a non Apple wifi router.

This is a $9.99 utility and is quite superb.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    firedunefiredune Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

I love when English speakers get all bent out of shape over regional dialects. -- Nothing like early morning bigotry to start your day off right!

Apple is an American company. -- American English is to be expected.

AMERICA!!

America is a CONTINENT !!!

not a country.

Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Brasil, etc.... are all different countries in the AMERICA CONTINENT.

USA is just one...

don't be another ignorant gringo.

• Reply 45 of 69

Back on Topic:

Can a play a Chess game with anyone on the game center?

or is it just for comparing achievements thru the Game Center?

• Reply 46 of 69

I think that Apple should provide developers with a framework or some solution to make it consistantly possible to switch to other apps from a fullscreen game in OS X. It's not uncommon that the only way to get out of the game and do something in another app is to quit the game. :/ Quite rediculous. Guess which operatingsystem that handles this much better?

I also think Apple should push graphic card driver development even more and give us some more hardware options when it comes to graphics cards. Playing iOS games adjusted for OS X isn't really my highest wish when it comes to gaming on a computer.

• Reply 47 of 69
    firedune wrote: »
    not a country.

Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Brasil, etc.... are all different countries in the AMERICA CONTINENT.

USA is just one...

However, as most people that have lived during the last century and this one know, 'America' is understood to be the USA. 'The Americas' are the usual term for your definition of North, Central and South America.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Back on Topic:

Can a play a Chess game with anyone on the game center?
    or is it just for comparing achievements thru the Game Center?

You can play with another. If not how would the Game Center compare achievements?
  • Reply 49 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    However, as most people that have lived during the last century and this one know, 'America' is understood to be the USA. 'The Americas' are the usual term for your definition of North, Central and South America.

I'm amazed at how many people (kids?) on this forum seem to think that North and South America are just top and bottom references and not the names of actual continents. I'm also surprised how many don't realize that Central America is past of the North American continent. It's eve more baffling that people like FireDune don't understand that USA stands for United States of America and that a reference to a America with a clear indication of referring to a country, not a continent, isn't something he should be scratching his head about. Even more bizarre is the disassociation from logic is FineDune being perfectly fine with saying United States of America even though it's not the only country in the Americas that has United States, and yet he hasn't argued against referring colloquially to a country as United States as if it's ambiguous even though other countries actually refer to their states as being united in their official name. Well, that last one isn't bizarre but bigotry and hypocritical. I've never heard once anyone say that Democratic Republic of the Congo is wrong because there are 10 countries on the Congo river many of which are considered democratc republics.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    not a country.

USA is just one...

Except you're completely and utterly wrong and being offensive.

For proof, I refer you to whatever thread that was where we proved your position song before. I'm on my iPad and a state away from home, so don't ask me to link it.
  • Reply 51 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's too bad the ugly UI design remains. Of all of apple's ugly skeumorphic designs, Game Centre is probably the worst.

Also as an aside, would it be too hard for Apple to spell CENTRE correctly for the rest of the world? Only the US mangles English so badly, everyone other English speaking nation just speaks and spells English.

Well Apple in the past as been a little American centric, but they are getting better - the UK as always been a big market so yeah these things are important, but it's nice to see a British dictionary in OS X trust me this is a big deal if you want spelling to be correct. 

It isn't worth getting upset about though, and all this posturing about who is right doesn't help either, English is pretty much everywhere and us English speakers should all be grateful for that, it does make life easier - even if there are little differences. What you have to understand is the English language evolves and has done over the centuries the Great Vowel shift is largely responsible for the differences in the language. See wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

American English is just a fork of the English language as it was in the 1700's, it has since developed in it's own way, it's not wrong is just a variation. There were once many versions of English in Britain, these have all but disappeared but the effect on accents is still evident today, including the odd usage of Old English mixed in with the dialect. 

Differences make the world a richer place!    

• Reply 52 of 69
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Your post is too funny. English is English ... At which point in history are you thinking of deciding it was baked to your approval? Ever read Chaucer, Shakespeare? It has been always will be an evolving language. You no doubt use many recent additions, pyjamas for example. Check in to your local Uni for a course on the subject it would enlighten you a great deal.

Plus I did post the link several times which explains the particular spelling being objected to in America was the work of a Brit ... A certain Mr. Carnegie.

I might add my iPad keeps trying to alter English as we know it too!

Thanks Captain Obvious, but if I was to dare say something else equally obvious, the current correct version of English is the English as spoken by neutral unaccented English speaker in England, and as documented in the OED.

The same applies to neutral French spoken in France, and so on. 

Doesn't it irk you, even a little, to see Americanised English listed as 'English', while English is listed as something which doesn't exist - 'international English'. It's an absurd way to differentiate English from it's rather mangled child.

• Reply 53 of 69
    Thanks Captain Obvious, but if I was to dare say something else equally obvious, the current correct version of English is the English as spoken by neutral unaccented English speaker in England, and as documented in the OED.
    There is no 'correct' version of English. -- And the OED clearly defines 'center,' as well as 'centre.'

I'd also submit that 'unaccented' is a rather loaded term: it's highly subjective.

Doesn't it irk you, even a little, to see Americanised English listed as 'English', while English is listed as something which doesn't exist - 'international English'. It's an absurd way to differentiate English from it's rather mangled child.
    No, it doesn't irk me; not even a little.

The OED defines World English and American English, which I find perfectly suitable given the natural separation of the terms, implications, and nuances of each in common usage.

What a silly thing to get twisted over.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Quote:

Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

I think that Apple should provide developers with a framework or some solution to make it consistantly possible to switch to other apps from a fullscreen game in OS X. It's not uncommon that the only way to get out of the game and do something in another app is to quit the game. :/ Quite rediculous. Guess which operatingsystem that handles this much better?

I have seen a few games do this well enough (WoW, Beat Hazard Ultra), but more consistent fullscreen switching would be nice. You'd think it would be even easier in OS X than Windows, considering that everything going to the window buffer is supposed to be painted on an OpenGL plane.

Mountain Lion supposedly has many graphics enhancements. Can anyone with a developer account verify?

• Reply 55 of 69

The same applies to neutral French spoken in France, and so on. 

Just speaking personally, your reactions as listed, remind me of listening some French speakers getting bent out of shape over English even being used at all in France. There are far more important things in this world to worry about. Now I would agree with you on grammar as appropriate to the county in question, just not localized national spellings or word usage. No one here says a 'tap' this side of the pond, they say faucet. Do I get upset! No, I recall reading that that word was used in common English when this place was colonized.

Ok back to setting up my wife's new iPad that just arrived .... See what I mean about more important things?
  • Reply 56 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Quote:

I have seen a few games do this well enough (WoW, Beat Hazard Ultra), but more consistent fullscreen switching would be nice. You'd think it would be even easier in OS X than Windows, considering that everything going to the window buffer is supposed to be painted on an OpenGL plane.

Yes, I forgot to mention Blizzard's games as a great example of where it's working well. Cmd M to switch from fullscreen to window mode and thus giving access to the rest of OS X. But like I said, it would be nice with a consistant way of doing this, that works in all games from all developers. Therefore it sounds to me that Apple should be providing a framework or something for it. Like you say one would think it shouldn't be that hard since ”everything is supposed to be painted on an OpenGL plane”. But I'm not really a developer, so what do I know. :)

Quote:

Mountain Lion supposedly has many graphics enhancements. Can anyone with a developer account verify?

I also would also like to hear some thoughts about the graphics enhancements in Mountain Lion. Anyone? :)

Edit:

Also came to think of that even with the fullscreen functionality that was introduced in Lion there's inconsistency in how one switches in and out of that mode in an app. It's always (I guess) some keyboard command involving F, but sometimes it's Cmd, Ctrl, F and sometimes I've seen Cmd, Shift, F. How hard can it be to find a universal keyboard combo so this is consistant between apps? I guess it's up to the developer, but in the end it affects the user experience having to perform different commands in different apps to perform the same task. Not good I think. It's good that one can change keyboard combos for specific apps in System Preferences, but one shouldn't have to spend time doing that I think.

• Reply 57 of 69
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm on my iPad and a state away from home, so don't ask me to link it.

I thought the iPad was supposed to replace the desktop/laptop?

I kid.... I kid...

• Reply 58 of 69

So if Apple changed the look and feel to a standard app according to their insistence on an iTunes style interface you'd all whinge an moan that it looks boring?

Make up your minds people. Anyway, when you think about it for the most part you don't even go into GameCentre you mostly just go into the game and the game logs into GameCentre.

I personally hardly ever if ever go into GameCentre on my iOS devices but I ensure all the games that use it are logged into it.

• Reply 59 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

There is no 'correct' version of English. -- And the OED clearly defines 'center,' as well as 'centre.'

I'd also submit that 'unaccented' is a rather loaded term: it's highly subjective.

No, it doesn't irk me; not even a little.

The OED defines World English and American English, which I find perfectly suitable given the natural separation of the terms, implications, and nuances of each in common usage.

What a silly thing to get twisted over.

Sorry but I totally disagree - and I find it offensive that English is listed as American English, or as English with an US flag or just simply English (US) with international English listing everyone else - Britain as everyone else WTF! 

I have no issue with American English, but listing English as standard with the American flag is wrong it should be the British flag, then all the variations of English with the appropriate flag. It is fine to default to US English if that is where most of your customers are but It is offensive to credit the wrong country with the English Language. 

• Reply 60 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's the gringo definition...not the rest of Americans' definition.

For most of the people from the rest of the continent: we don't like it when you use those words, when you really mean is United States of America.

They are even offensive in many parts (specially since your imperialist government would love to own the whole continent)

I am American also (from South America to be more specific)

Please don't make this a subject of discussion, I am just pointing something that people from USA, don't realize usually.

Something that I think is more important that if u use Center or Centre.

(also... don't troll about grammar, not all readers of appleinsider are native english speakers)