Update: OCZ Agility 3 SSD in MacBook Pro 13" 2010: Sweet So Far

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I had some discussions here before about SSDs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD for AUD $350 (~USD $370).

I think prices just came down by $40 or so since I checked a few weeks ago.

Looks good, SATA 2 supported, and turned on TRIM in Lion 10.7.3 using the "Grant" method.

Blisteringly fast. It's like everything is pretty much in memory. Along with 8GB of RAM, I guess SSD is the only way to fly now.

Hopefully my MBP 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo can now last me 'till the end of the year. Pity about the Nvidia 320M, it has so much potential but Psychonauts is unplayable, and Analog from the Mac App Store is really excellent but slight delays when using GPU (I think) to render effects.

But Photoshop CS4, Analog, all the background web browsers with tons of tabs, Chrome, Mail, App Store, etc. all fairly smooth along with my 15mbps broadband. Even while it was encrypting my Time Machine drive.

Just letting y'all know. It sounds like boasting but I know I'm just arriving to the party many people have been at for a few years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I had some discussions here before about SSDs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD for AUD $350 (~USD $333).

I think prices just came down by $40 or so since I checked a few weeks ago.

Looks good, SATA 2 supported, and turned on TRIM in Lion 10.7.3 using the "Grant" method.

Blisteringly fast. It's like everything is pretty much in memory. Along with 8GB of RAM, I guess SSD is the only way to fly now.

Hopefully my MBP 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo can now last me 'till the end of the year. Pity about the Nvidia 320M, it has so much potential but Psychonauts is unplayable, and Analog from the Mac App Store is really excellent but slight delays when using GPU (I think) to render effects.

But Photoshop CS4, Analog, all the background web browsers with tons of tabs, Chrome, Mail, App Store, etc. all fairly smooth along with my 15mbps broadband. Even while it was encrypting my Time Machine drive.

Just letting y'all know. It sounds like boasting but I know I'm just arriving to the party many people have been at for a few years.

Hey good for you I also added the same exact drive to my13" i7 variant. Fast it sure is, the greatest speedup I see though is in Solaris 11 vroom, I have it in dual boot. I really like the 13" I can't wait to see the upgraded one.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Hey good for you I also added the same exact drive to my13" i7 variant. Fast it sure is, the greatest speedup I see though is in Solaris 11 vroom, I have it in dual boot. I really like the 13" I can't wait to see the upgraded one.

Cheers. I read up a little bit now and it benches quite well in various tests.

Pricing is better, like most things, in the US (I made an edit, it's the equivalent of $370 US here)... but in any case worth it so far.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    psksvppsksvp Posts: 1member

Quote:

I had some discussions here before about SSDs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD for AUD $350 (~USD $370).

I saw your post, and I went out and got one of the "OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD", but it was only 204.95AUD at here --> http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23712&pid=42620&p=product