Laurene Powell Jobs expected to attend Sun Valley conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, will reportedly attend the annual Allen & Company Sun Valley retreat this week and is rumored to have purchased a house in the area.

The NY Post reported on Thursday (via MacNN) that Jobs had purchased a home near Sun Valley, Idaho "within the last few days" and is expected to attend the confab. The annual conference for business, political and cultural leaders began earlier this week and is set to wrap up on Saturday.

"The house, on the border with nearby Ketchum, Idaho, is said to be a small double A-frame home valued between $3 million and $4 million," the publication claimed, adding that the house reportedly has "three bedrooms, two and half baths and three fireplaces."

Jobs' late husband attended the retreat in the past, but he had been absent in recent years.
Tim Cook, Steve Jobs' successor at Apple, was spotted at Sun Valley earlier this week. Some reports suggested that Cook planned on meeting with entertainment industry executives while at the event, though the reasons for the meeting were unknown.

Known for her active involvement in the nonprofit sector, Jobs is the founder of the Emerson Collective, an organization seeking education reform. She also serves as president of the board for College Track, an after-school program for underprivileged high school students.

Last November, securities filings revealed that Jobs would manage a $4.6 billion trust that holds the shares of Walt Disney that Steve Jobs acquired from selling Pixar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

How is the fact Laurene Jobs bought a house relevant to AppleInsider?

• Reply 2 of 18
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    The article made it seem like she bought the house so she doesn't have to stay in a hotel. Doesn't seem to make any sense.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I also believe that this bit of news is utterly irrelevant, and am unsure as to why it's been mentioned on AppleInsider.

Until she gets involved in technology, it may be a little respectful of us to just to leave her the hell alone.

So here's what the rest of us need to do:

Don't comment in this thread.

Don't add to anybody's reputation in this thread.

Don't even look at this thread funny.

There's a possibility that if a particular type of thread generates little interest that the subject material may not be considered again in the future. Small possibility, but a possibility none-the-less.

So everybody feel free to ITFOOTT.

Ignore The **** Out Of This Thread.

• Reply 4 of 18
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I also believe that this bit of news is utterly irrelevant, and am unsure as to why it's been mentioned on AppleInsider.

Until she gets involved in technology, it may be a little respectful of us to just to leave her the hell alone.

So here's what the rest of us need to do:

Don't comment in this thread.

Don't add to anybody's reputation in this thread.

Don't even look at this thread funny.

There's a possibility that if a particular type of thread generates little interest that the subject material may not be considered again in the future. Small possibility, but a possibility none-the-less.

So everybody feel free to ITFOOTT.

Ignore The **** Out Of This Thread.

What's relevant is that she's a major stockholder (and foundation director) with a large chunk of Disney in a trust (and probably a huge individual AAPL holding) - which gives her clout if she chooses to use it - and it appears that she may be doing that in deciding to enter the public sphere of the conference in her own right.  She was likely the single human being closest to Steve Jobs for decades and privy to many of his most private thoughts, ideas and opinions - and seems to be a sophisticated, intelligent, involved, hands on person with well-developed points of view. 

No disrespect intended, but "the rest of" you can do what you want.  I think for the reasons above and others that it's of interest and relevant. This is an annual conference for business, political and cultural leaders and people as important as Tim Cook are participants - and she's apparently comfortable about being a part of that in her own right. That's the news.  I agree that the house is totally irrelevant, but her interest in these matters is not.  

So I for one am interested to see this unique individual - who knows parts of the Apple founder's story that will never appear in a book or movie - as she emerges in her own right as someone interested in shaping the future in ways that are in fact relevant to us. The future of education - her foundation's pursuit - is certainly of interest to Apple, which has long been a player in exactly that.  

I'm a poster on an open forum - little noticed even here - and I don't own billions in shares of tech and media companies so what I say is of little consequence by comparison to how she may choose to employ those resources.  Which - over time - may turn out to be actively from this indicator.  

• Reply 5 of 18
    tsunamitsunami Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

The way I see it is that there's the possibility that she and Mr. Cook are smooth talking the execs. This, of course, being in preparation for the rumored Apple TV.

Mrs. Powell might have some persuasive techniques that can be as sharp as Steve Jobs. I believe that I read in the biography that he would consult her on some decisions within the company. (Although I could be mistaken.)

I would also imagine she would want to move closer to that area to host the annual talks that Mr. Cook will be participating in during the annual conferences. It's a part of her investment in the company. She may even participate in some of the talks herself on behalf of Apple and maybe even her Education group. They'll talk with the moguls about acquiring and renewing annual contracts for the new Apple TV business. At the same time, she could be working on the educational side of that business.

The other piece is the technology behind delivering the content and securely. Akamai CEO Paul Sagan was there to talk about how they'll have the tech to ensure some kind of DRM.

That's just a thought.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Welcome to TMZ-insider

• Reply 7 of 18
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Nice. Good to see her out and involved.

Meanwhile, whiny people in cubicles and their mother's basement do little for the world.

• Reply 8 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    While Laurene's attendence is less important as far as Apple is concerned than Tim Cook's (who is also going to the event), she still has control of many billions of dollars that can be used in Apple's favour like buying iPads for education or even just influencing education reform to favour Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

well, the web site is named "AppleInsider"... so unless she works at/for apple i say do not  report about her... unless you want to state that anybody who has apple shares is fair game to report about in apple insider. 

• Reply 10 of 18
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    As shameful as some might see it to be talking about Laurene, I'd say it's more embarrassing to be using the NY Post as a source. It's more trash than Digitimes. Folks in NY won't buy it to wrap fish in.

If the Post is the source than I'd reckon the house thing is bogus. As for the Conference, perhaps she's attending a bit of it but since it's over tomorrow my guess is that she's not there on any sort of business but perhaps the heads of the conference have invited her to attend a little memorial in honor of her late husband. I know Steve didn't attend for the past handful of years but they would likely still respect his contributions enough to want to acknowledge them
  • Reply 11 of 18

So what happened to the iHouse that he designed on? Will it ever reveal?

• Reply 12 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I highly doubt that. Steve never wanted people working on or in their house, and now that he's gone, Laurene is fixing up the roof. She has also purchased a different house in a different state.

Of course nothing's confirmed, but I figure she's moving out. They lived there for so many years…

I also somewhat agree that this shouldn't be here. I'm about half and half.
  • Reply 13 of 18

I agree that it is relevant to AppleInsider if for no other reason than I am interested in what she is up to and I usually check in with this site several times a day.  By the way,  Sun Valley Idaho is a wonderful place to have a home, especially if you have kids.

• Reply 14 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Of course nothing's confirmed, but I figure she's moving out. They lived there for so many years…

Maybe but everywhere she goes on holiday, she might just buy a house. When you have more than $4b, you can pretty much buy what you like. She can have 50 houses and not make a dent on her wealth.

I guess Disney stock is a fairly sure bet for the long term but people sell it all the same:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-11/disney-s-iger-sold-81-dot-6-million-in-stock-near-record

It can do a lot more good elsewhere, the money can be put into startups and good causes. I think the financial systems forced on us are some of the most corrupt systems we have to endure and the less support they get, the better. Support the creators, inventors and the poor and let the greedy fight for themselves.
    I'm about half and half.

You'll fit in her half bath. I wonder why people have abbreviated bathroom to just bath, it's not the same thing.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

What I would like to see is that yacht that Feadship is building, right here in The Netherlands. Only one hours drive away for me, but I simply cannot see it. Tried to take pictures, but it's completely out of sight.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Marvin wrote: »
    You'll fit in her half bath.

Or her morning pick-me-up.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Steve Jobs was a generous philantrophist and extremely brilliant. He had a great spirit in doing things. I admired him so much. He served as an inspiration to me. I am happy to know that he has a memorial page on Evertalk within Facebook where you can find his biography. Here is the page: https://apps.facebook.com/evertalk/index/memorial/stevenjobs129

• Reply 18 of 18

Steve Jobs' career was largely about his vision of creating computer technology that could be used as a conduit for human imagination and creativity. He was amazing! Thanks for the heads up on the Evertalk page Christina.