'Thousands' apply at Foxconn ahead of rumored iPhone, iPad mini build

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Reports from China claim that thousands of job seekers are lining up outside of Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn's Chengdu plant in hopes of landing a position at the factory as summer hiring ramps up ahead of rumored next-generation iPhone and smaller iPad launches.

According to Chinese electronics blog M.I.C. Gadget, "thousands" of people gathered in front of Foxconn's Chengdu plant to vie for a large number of "summer job" slots that have only one stipulation: applicants must have good eyesight.

Sources claim that openings still remain but are filling up fast and note that a smaller "iPad mini" may possibly be rolling off the assembly line. This is contrary to a previous report which had the rumored 7-inch tablet set for manufacture at Foxconn's plant in Jundiai, Brazil.

Foxconn's Zhengzhou factory is also hiring workers and sources there say the plant is currently producing Apple's next-generation iPhone albeit on a very small scale. The insider claims that the production line's over 100 workers rolled out a mere five units during a recent night shift, and goes on to explain the upcoming iPhone is said to be in the "trial production stage."

Foxconn Chengdu
Source: M.I.C. Gadget

While AppleInsider cannot validate these claims, the report is consistent with earlier rumors that said Apple's sixth-generation iPhone is currently being manufactured.

Apple's rumored next-generation handset is expected to launch some time this fall with a larger 4-inch display and newly-designed "uni-body" chassis. A smaller version of the company's popular iPad is also widely rumored to debut later this year with recent "leaks" pointing to a 7-inch screen and slightly modified case design. A report from The New York Times claims the so-called "iPad mini" will be priced below $499 to meet entry-level market demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Well... A person's got to have an income.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    In China right now, thousands are lining up to apply for job to make iPhones.. Elsewhere around the world in the fall, thousands will be lining up to buy an iPhone..
  • Reply 3 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's a good thing they made the conditions better by reducing the number of higher-pay overtime hours these people can work. I'm glad they're all happy to have that extra idle time.
  • Reply 4 of 17

Quote:

It's a good thing they made the conditions better by reducing the number of higher-pay overtime hours these people can work. I'm glad they're all happy to have that extra idle time.

This was a case of do-gooders not understanding what the 'poor suffering' workers wanted. Some wanted less hours, some wanted higher hours and unsurprisingly all wanted a better higher hourly rate (but who doesn't?). So really all most wanted was a choice! This has now been removed to the detriment of the people these idiots were trying to protect.

As for the crowds queuing up outside, that isn't unusual but I haven't been over to that side of town this week but might drive by tomorrow if I have time to have a look/see if it is any different from usual.

What is interesting is this plant is heavily used by Apple, more so than some of the others and they are expanding big time, expected workforce needs are increasing between 100,000 and 250,000 over the next 18 months - depending on what local paper you chose to read. If this is mainly for iPad production (which it currently is) then Apple/Foxconn are pretty confident about the markets capacity. 

• Reply 5 of 17
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

No, it's a terrible place to work, and we should force Foxconn to raise wages and hire fewer people.

• Reply 6 of 17

Quote:

No, it's a terrible place to work, and we should force Foxconn to raise wages and hire fewer people

you're being sarcastic now aren't you image

• Reply 7 of 17

I wonder what NY Times and others Apple critics would say now, regarding that photo…. 

I wonder how much awareness there has been in China about what NY Times and others Apple critics were saying!!! If it was widely known, then such long lines to get those jobs can be viewed as an embarrassment to the Apple's critics! 

Some Apple Fans, on other hand, might say sarcastically:  

Look, all those Chinese are standing in line for a chance to get a job, complain about it, and maybe even kill themselves because of that job!!!  

But hey, wherever the truth is in China at such factories, people need to eat, and thus they need jobs….  

My hope is that the conditions have improved a lot, so that Apple & Foxconn are held as example of Do The Right Thing kind of Employers!!! 

Meanwhile, Apple's Future looks bright:)!

• Reply 8 of 17
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member

They are lining up because everyone knows that making Apple products will guarantee overtime pay, and only for Apple products. The launch of these devices are guaranteed to provide a larger cheque to the workers. 

If you were in line for Samsung, Sony or LG factory positions, there'd be no such provisions, and you'd most likely not paid on time to top it off.

This also would hold true for textiles, chemicals or any other kind of manufacturing. FYI. Overtime is unheard of and not even practiced prior to Apple. 

• Reply 9 of 17
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

This is why I always wait and buy Apple refurbs—very few of these urban poor people desperate for work have any real experience building hi-tech products, so quality always suffers in the first few weeks after they join the production line. I don't blame them for wanting the work though.

I'd rather buy a returned product at a lower price with the same warranty that has been checked/repaired by a qualified Apple service engineer.

Surprising how little automation Foxconn uses. 

• Reply 10 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Workers...prepare to be ABUSED!!!

Or don't prepare.

Your choice.

/s
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member

Poor does not equal stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

This is why I always wait and buy Apple refurbs—very few of these urban poor people desperate for work have any real experience building hi-tech products, so quality always suffers in the first few weeks after they join the production line. I don't blame them for wanting the work though.

I'd rather buy a returned product at a lower price with the same warranty that has been checked/repaired by a qualified Apple service engineer.

Surprising how little automation Foxconn uses. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

I love the irony that in the Peoples' Republic of China, the Workers' Paradise of Communism, the working conditions and wages for these same workers were improved, not by the ruling Communist Party of China, but by American stalwarts of capitalism (Apple, Inc.) and free press (NY Times).

• Reply 13 of 17
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

Nobody said they were stupid. And it is why I said quality suffers for a few weeks.  Once they get familiar with the job, quality rises again.

• Reply 14 of 17
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I love the irony that in the Peoples' Republic of China, the Workers' Paradise of Communism, the working conditions and wages for these same workers were improved, not by the ruling Communist Party of China, but by American stalwarts of capitalism (Apple, Inc.) and free press (NY Times).

To describe PRC as a a communist country nowadays would be laughable as it hasn't been for many years (if it ever was in anything other than name). The employee protection legislation has been in place for some time but has been rarely used or enforced unless there have been significant abuses or a story has become particularly embarrassing.

The changes that have taken place were influenced by a number of factors, such as Governmental policy, Corporate responsibility of behalf of Apple, press stories in the West, Pressure from press in China and public opinion voiced in the blogosphere and on Weibo (Chinese version of Twitter but technically much better and bigger). All of these things contributed to the improved lot of the workers but also the removal of choice for some of them to take on more hours to earn more.

Bear in mind,  although there are lots of people in the West that would not consider a job at Foxconn on the production floor, when compared to a lot of unskilled or semi-skilled jobs in China there is little comparison. To my knowledge, the workers are paid on time at the rates agreed in working conditions that are safer and cleaner than the average factory over here.

A lot of Western manufacturing (over in this area at least) is influencing local conditions and the competition for workforce is driving up salaries. This improves conditions for those working for these companies but causes inflation in basic needs such as food and housing costs. This has pros and cons but it sure makes it an interesting place to be at the moment.

• Reply 15 of 17
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I wonder what NY Times and others Apple critics would say now, regarding that photo…. 

I wonder how much awareness there has been in China about what NY Times and others Apple critics were saying!!! If it was widely known, then such long lines to get those jobs can be viewed as an embarrassment to the Apple's critics! 

Or it could just be seen as a sad statement of how desperate Chinese citizens are for jobs. Then again, here in the US we might not be that far away from such desperation either.

• Reply 16 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Some Apple Fans, on other hand, might say sarcastically:  

Look, all those Chinese are standing in line for a chance to get a job, complain about it, and maybe even kill themselves because of that job!!!  

But hey, wherever the truth is in China at such factories, people need to eat, and thus they need jobs….  

My hope is that the conditions have improved a lot, so that Apple & Foxconn are held as example of Do The Right Thing kind of Employers!!! 

Meanwhile, Apple's Future looks bright:)!

By this logic, thousands of people lining up for admittance to a refugee camp would prove that those who oppose the effects of war and famine are an embarrassment.

• Reply 17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Or it could just be seen as a sad statement of how desperate Chinese citizens are for jobs. Then again, here in the US we might not be that far away from such desperation either.

No it is a sign of  some people who want jobs that are seen as better than the other options available that include better than average employers, safe and clean accommodation at a price that allows the individuals to send money back home for family, healthcare. Earnings that (including basic overtime) are higher than the average earnings in the city.