Apple wins portable device UI 'scroll bar' patent

124»

Comments

• Reply 62 of 73
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

The patent system is a mess but it is the system that is in place to protect people/companies that innovate. Unfortunately, it also protects some who really haven't and needs upgrading to cover things that take place in the modern economy.

That being said, if Apple has truly innovated and others have copied, Apple deserves to be able to call them on it. If you are really being honest and not being beholden to a platform, you would have to admit that Apple with its iOS really came out with a lot of innovations and that is what has been patented in many cases. If others unfairly copy Apple, Apple deserves some sort of remedy.

On the other side, if Apple has copied others that have patented things, then they need to pay as well. If Apple has truly copied something patented in notifications from Android, I would expect the lawsuits to follow.

But it is disingenuous to denigrate the things that Apple has done in the mobile world because it is not your platform of choice or you just don't like Apple.

• Reply 63 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

removed duplicate

• Reply 64 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

it is true!, you are working at Google!...

Not hardly. . .

Nor working for Google.

Nor owning Google stock.

Nor deriving any income from Google directly or indirectly.

Nor having any Google contacts.

Nor having any source of "inside" information about Google.

If there's anything I missed just ask.

• Reply 65 of 73
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Hiding a GUI element to free up screen real estate isn't some new invention.

And yet nobody has ever done it with the scrollbar until Apple came along with the iPhone.

• Reply 66 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Hiding a GUI element to free up screen real estate isn't some new invention.

And yet nobody has ever done it with the scrollbar until Apple came along with the iPhone.

• Reply 67 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Does anybody know when this feature has been introduced in iOS? Just watched a vide of the iPhone introduction and didn't see those scroll bars.

The earliest version where I've seen it is iOS 2.0, introduced mid 2008.

• Reply 68 of 73
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

A lot of people "feel" they need to defend their brand and their choices beyond any reason.

yes.  you've pretty much encapsulated what some people do; this includes enthusiasts from a variety of groups including Apple fans.

in regard to the patent, i agree it's silly but it's been granted (for good or bad).  if the situation ever arises, the onus is on Apple to prove a given implementation, at the software level, is a copy in the event of alleged patent infringement.

• Reply 69 of 73
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pragmatous View Post

You're just wrong.

"But the reason patents are especially bad for software is that software isn’t some single invention where you can point to a single new idea. Not at all. All relevant software is a hugely complex set of very detailed rules, and there are millions of small and mostly trivial ideas rather than some single clever idea that can be patented. The worth of the software is not in any of those single small decisions, but in the whole.  It’s also distressing to see that people patent ‘ideas’. It’s not even a working “thing”; it’s just a small way of doing things that you try to patent, just to have a weapon in an economic fight. Sad. Patents have lost all redeeming value, if they ever had any. ‘" - Linus Torvalds src http://techledger.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/linus-torvalds-on-patents/

You are quite the critical thinker. Posting other people's words because you have no capacity to develop your own earns you an A+ on the Internet.

Or maybe you wish to imply that because Linus Torvalds is a person of importance in the tech industry that I should just bow to his viewpoint without having one of my own?

• Reply 70 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

But on Android phones, I've seen that you can actually drag the scrollbars before they disappear.  This makes it easier to scroll through long pages without endlessly flicking around.  Why hasn't Apple made it easier to scroll through long pages on iOS devices?

• Reply 71 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

But on Android phones, I've seen that you can actually drag the scrollbars before they disappear.  This makes it easier to scroll through long pages without endlessly flicking around.  Why hasn't Apple made it easier to scroll through long pages on iOS devices?

• Reply 72 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Bill Gates was a much larger human in the old days. No one can escape the effects of 'shrinkage' due to aging.

• Reply 73 of 73
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Now someone just needs to patent the idea of using a round or square (or rounded square) button to turn on a computer or handheld device.

Or the use of a round hole in the side of a telephone to insert a headphone cable.