Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Game Center and Chess 3.0

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    firedunefiredune Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm amazed at how many people (kids?) on this forum seem to think that North and South America are just top and bottom references and not the names of actual continents. I'm also surprised how many don't realize that Central America is past of the North American continent. It's eve more baffling that people like FireDune don't understand that USA stands for United States of America and that a reference to a America with a clear indication of referring to a country, not a continent, isn't something he should be scratching his head about. Even more bizarre is the disassociation from logic is FineDune being perfectly fine with saying United States of America even though it's not the only country in the Americas that has United States, and yet he hasn't argued against referring colloquially to a country as United States as if it's ambiguous even though other countries actually refer to their states as being united in their official name. Well, that last one isn't bizarre but bigotry and hypocritical. I've never heard once anyone say that Democratic Republic of the Congo is wrong because there are 10 countries on the Congo river many of which are considered democratc republics.

I am not a kid....I am very sure I know more geography that most of the gringos I met while traveling the continent for many years. 

Central and North America are part of the same continent depending on how you look it up (platonic plates anyone?)

And yeah I am perfectly fine with you saying United States of America (or USA)...

And I know there are other countries with United States, like United States of Mexico (actually Estados Unidos de Mexico), not the same country,

if you use the compleate name of your country I don't see any problem...or even if you use the acronym form...

(sorry about the grammar and spelling errors, you can bitch about that too if you want....

as I said before not all readers are native english speakers...

if you want to bitch anyway please do it in another language than english)

• Reply 62 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You can play with another. If not how would the Game Center compare achievements?

Sorry, maybe my question was not rightly formulated, will try again:

Can you play AGAINST another player on the web, (not on a local level) ? 

(all I see in the screenshots are games against the computer)

Game Center could be just comparing achievements against the computer.

Sorry if my question is stupid, but haven't used Game Center or the new Chess (3.0)

(and the screenshots do not help answering my question)

• Reply 63 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except you're completely and utterly wrong and being offensive.

For proof, I refer you to whatever thread that was where we proved your position song before. I'm on my iPad and a state away from home, so don't ask me to link it.

Please If you accuse me of being utterly wrong, give your point of view.

And I was saying it is offensive to use American when you mean people from USA, or America as a country....

don't see where I have been offensive (I was not trying to)

• Reply 64 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

Yes, I forgot to mention Blizzard's games as a great example of where it's working well. Cmd M to switch from fullscreen to window mode and thus giving access to the rest of OS X. But like I said, it would be nice with a consistant way of doing this, that works in all games from all developers. Therefore it sounds to me that Apple should be providing a framework or something for it. Like you say one would think it shouldn't be that hard since ”everything is supposed to be painted on an OpenGL plane”. But I'm not really a developer, so what do I know. :)

I also would also like to hear some thoughts about the graphics enhancements in Mountain Lion. Anyone? :)

Edit:

Also came to think of that even with the fullscreen functionality that was introduced in Lion there's inconsistency in how one switches in and out of that mode in an app. It's always (I guess) some keyboard command involving F, but sometimes it's Cmd, Ctrl, F and sometimes I've seen Cmd, Shift, F. How hard can it be to find a universal keyboard combo so this is consistant between apps? I guess it's up to the developer, but in the end it affects the user experience having to perform different commands in different apps to perform the same task. Not good I think. It's good that one can change keyboard combos for specific apps in System Preferences, but one shouldn't have to spend time doing that I think.

For those who don't know how to change the keyboard combos:

You can set up a shortcut to go to Fullscreen...in System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts

just go to "Application Shortcuts" and add the following shorcuts to "All Applications" :

Enter Full Screen     Control-F

Fullcreen                 Control-F

Full Screen              Control-F

Exit Full Screen       Control-F

I use control to avoid any conflict with other commands, but you can use your own.

Just be sure to enter all the different spelling ways, since not all the command menus to go to full screen are spelled the same way.

I agree with Martin that it is not something we should do....

I always thought one of the benefits of the MacOS is it consistency (anyone remembers all the different ways to quit/exit an app in old Win systems)

• Reply 65 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

Please If you accuse me of being utterly wrong, give your point of view.

And I was saying it is offensive to use American when you mean people from USA, or America as a country....

don't see where I have been offensive (I was not trying to)

I'm not from North or South America and I've often wondered if people from the two continents of America get offended when people from the USA call their country America. I think it's perfectly valid to be offended - it's like when Scotland gets referred to as part of England - it's massively offensive because it's disrespectful. 

• Reply 66 of 69
    cyrmocyrmo Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

I have no issue with American English, but listing English as standard with the American flag is wrong it should be the British flag... 

What is this "British flag" of which you speak?  The flag of the United Kingdom you mean?  See, nitpicking is fun, eh?

That said, I do agree with the substance of your post, and I am always pleased when a product or service shows the flag of the United Kingdom to represent English, instead of the yankee flag.  

• Reply 67 of 69
    igamogamigamogam Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrmo View Post

What is this "British flag" of which you speak?  The flag of the United Kingdom you mean?  See, nitpicking is fun, eh?

That said, I do agree with the substance of your post, and I am always pleased when a product or service shows the flag of the United Kingdom to represent English, instead of the yankee flag.  

I'm also going to nitpick... The United Kingdom part of UKGBNI simply denotes the political system of Greater Britain (as opposed to the "Britain" in Western France - [and lets not forget Northern Ireland before anyone complains]) in the same way that US denotes the Federal structure of USA the county with America in its name that sits in the central part of the North American continent.

Britain as a word has it's roots in the word Brython or ancient Welsh that the Brythonic speaking inhabitants who replaced the non-Indo-European speaking speakers of the archipelago (modern Welsh is the second most spoken and thus a semi-official language of UKGBNI) so the Union flag is perhaps not appropriate as a symbol for English. By the same token as over 95% of "Brits" speak English as a mother tongue (as opposed to only 82% in the USA) and it is the place where the language was assembled it is more fitting to use the UKGBNI emblem than it is of USA.

Of course, technically the international flag symbol for English could be the English version of the St. George cross (a Red cross on a field of White) but that in itself would be a problem on another level as it was the insignia of France until they gave it to the English during the Crusades and of course it is still in use by the country of Georgia where the flag originated. Probably wouldn't work though as most English speakers wouldn't know the flag of England if it flapped across their faces.

Perhaps ultimately the EU flag would probably be best, if you really think about it, English is just a mishmash of various Friesian/German dialects with a chunk of French (which explains the Illogical spelling) and a dusting of Celtic grammar influences...

• Reply 68 of 69
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

You can set up a shortcut to go to Fullscreen...in System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts

just go to "Application Shortcuts" and add the following shorcuts to "All Applications" :

Enter Full Screen     Control-F

Fullcreen                 Control-F

Full Screen              Control-F

Exit Full Screen       Control-F

I use control to avoid any conflict with other commands, but you can use your own.

Just be sure to enter all the different spelling ways, since not all the command menus to go to full screen are spelled the same way.

In a river of nationalist wankery, a helpful tip appears! Thank you. Ctrl-F is probably the more desirable option, as some apps use Cmd-F to 'Find' or 'Flaunt.'

I would be happy if all fullscreen games merely supported Cmd-tab, but alas, some devs retain DirectX habits and want to control the GPU directly, instead of going through Apple's preferred OS X-OpenGL APIs.

• Reply 69 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

In a river of nationalist wankery, a helpful tip appears! Thank you. Ctrl-F is probably the more desirable option, as some apps use Cmd-F to 'Find' or 'Flaunt.'

I would be happy if all fullscreen games merely supported Cmd-tab, but alas, some devs retain DirectX habits and want to control the GPU directly, instead of going through Apple's preferred OS X-OpenGL APIs.

Haha, agreed on ”nationalist wankery”. Was just thinking the same ting. :) How can people of this day an age think there's some kind of objective value to their nation compared to others? We're all citizens of the same planet! The borders and nationalities are made up stuff and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Also agree on the greatness of the the tip from FireDune to get the switch to ”fullscreen” work with a consistent keyboard combo in all apps. Shouldn't really have to be done I think, but it's a one time setting so not much to complain about I guess. :)