Apple fixes CPU power use, USB issues for 2012 MacBooks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday rolled out a software update to address CPU power use and USB issues that plagued owners of the newly-released MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

Apple's "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 1.0" brings minor tweaks to how the new laptops, announced at WWDC and released in June, handle certain data crunching processes that led to increased power use.

MacBook Update

From the release notes:
About MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 1.0

This update fixes an issue that can lead to increased CPU power consumption, and it improves compatibility with some USB devices.

This update is recommended for all Mac notebooks introduced since June 2012.
As stated above, Wednesday's update only affects new 2012 MacBooks and is therefore only suitable for those computers.

Apple fails to go into detail regarding what exactly was causing the increased CPU use and USB connectivity problems, but multiple threads on Apple's Support Communities have noted issues regarding port failure and incompatibility with certain external hard drives.

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 1.0 weighs in at 76.64MB and can be downloaded through Apple's Support Downloads Page or via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jjthompsjjthomps Posts: 24member

Let me guess.... Update fixes issue, but cripples InDesign once again.......  hoping not of course.

• Reply 2 of 15

Here's hoping this fixes the Thunderbolt display and distorted audio problem!

• Reply 3 of 15
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Apple has been to busy with iOS and neglecting Mac for years now. Shame!!!

• Reply 4 of 15

Good news is that it didn't break my InDesign update!

• Reply 5 of 15

It still says my USB (powered not USB Powered) Is drawing too much power and is being disabled.......

• Reply 6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple has been to busy with iOS and neglecting Mac for years now. Shame!!!

Apple has been too busy with lawsuits...

• Reply 7 of 15

This update on my MBP Retina fixed my crappy speeds (approx 30MB Read/Write) on my cheap external USB drive and made the Read/Write 445MB/s and 330 MB/s! Yay Apple!

• Reply 8 of 15
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Yeah my gaming mouse was causing the CPU to overwork when I was doing nothing... Hope this fixes the issue on my Retina MacBook Pro...

EDIT: Weird issue but my update didn't install on the restart and instead said the computer was restarted because of a problem. On second try it worked though... hmm

EDIT 2: Nope, my mouse still caused the CPU to run at full 100% at startup when plugged in.... even unplugging it doesn't stop the CPU. So fix didn't work in my case.

• Reply 9 of 15
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member

Update doesn't show up for Mountain Lion. I'm experiencing USB2.0 like speeds (40MB/sec) to a new external USB3.0 hard drive dock.

• Reply 10 of 15

These Ivy Bridge Intel chipsets are having USB issues on PCs as well.  I have a new motherboard with an Ivy Bridge chip, and the USB has been flaky since day one. Forums are full of complaints.  I think it'll take motherboard manufacturers and OS makers a few more months to work out all the bugs in their BIOS and drivers.

• Reply 11 of 15

For the record, this does NOT fix the Thunderbolt display sound issue. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Update doesn't show up for Mountain Lion. I'm experiencing USB2.0 like speeds (40MB/sec) to a new external USB3.0 hard drive dock.

The update requires 10.7.4. It doesn't show up for Mountain Lion. Presumably this kind of thing will be fixed in the final version (the "golden master" isn't necessarily the final build since it isn't as if Apple has to publish DVDs).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member

I haven't been having any problems with USB devices including an audio interface and USB HDs on my new mid-2012 15" MBP (non-retina), but I haven't been using anything USB 3.0, only USB 2.0 stuff.

• Reply 14 of 15

Um, hello "testing" ?????

• Reply 15 of 15
    1geek1geek Posts: 4member

Oh that's good to know. I do remember having some issues with my mac book pro and USB connections..