UK judge rules Apple must advertise Samsung did not copy the iPad

Comments

• Reply 241 of 315
    Embarassed to be British yet again. What a retarded country I was unfortunately born in.

Every country has some sort of embarrassment, just look at George W Bush and he was in for two terms!!!

I'd rather have this judge....
  • Reply 242 of 315

Apple's ad:

Galaxy Tab is not a copy of iPad as someone would like us to tell the world. But only because Samsung products are just not as cool as Apple.

• Reply 243 of 315
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member

The only thing that is clear from your post, rude as it is, is that you view the world through an extremely narrow prism.

Conversely, I view the world with a wider perspective to understand how and why things are as they are.

• Reply 244 of 315
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apparently they cant appeal - Apple should move all its infrastructure in the UK to Ireland. Not that it has much. 

Apple have pretty much done that anyway.

Corp. taxes in Ireland are lower, meanng that Apple save money, unfortunately it means that UK itunes customers have to pay the higher levels of Irish Vat on itunes purchases. Thanks Apple...

• Reply 245 of 315
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

I mean, surely you wouldn't post something like that being serious?

The only thing that is clear from your post, rude and bombastic as it is, is that you view the world through an extremely narrow prism.

Conversely, I view the world with a wider perspective to understand how and why things are as they are, and why people behave as they do. You, or a judge, are influenced by, and even the result of your combined experiences.

• Reply 246 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Complete rubbish.  Apple fought the patent battle in court.  Asking them to advertise for Samsung is unreasonable and akin to public humiliation.  This judge needs to be removed from the bench.  Frankly, to think that Samsung didn't share Apple's ideas with their other business units is wholly impossible and unreasonable to think.  Of course they copied Apple, making just enough changes to not have an outright mirror image of the iPad.

imagePerhaps the judge took devices such as the iTablet (from 2007) into account when ruling that Samsung did not steal the overall design from apple and may have been inspired by more than one pre-existing device

• Reply 247 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

The only thing that is clear from your post, rude as it is, is that you view the world through an extremely narrow prism.

Conversely, I view the world with a wider perspective to understand how and why things are as they are.

There can't be no better ad than quoting the judge's factual opinions/pronouncements in court with a creative twist. If the judge thinks he is smart, he is so fu*king mistaken.

And you think this is a slam dunk for Samsung? If so your brain is inhabited with 99.9999999% DEAD NEURONS. 

• Reply 248 of 315

Apple's ad:

Galaxy Tab is not a copy of iPad as someone would like us to tell the world. But only because Samsung products are just not as cool as Apple.

• Reply 249 of 315

Are you really that upset because a judge put apple on the "naughty stair"?

• Reply 250 of 315
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member

Apple's ad should have a picture of the two products followed by this:

"Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. They couldn't be more different."

(and then the legal blurb underneath)

• Reply 251 of 315
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Embarassed to be British yet again. What a retarded country I was unfortunately born in.

Every country has examples on bizarre legal decisions. At least the English legal system does something harmless like this instead of, say, executing the mentally handicapped.

• Reply 252 of 315
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I don't know. This is a stupid decision, but after seeing what having an iPhone costs you per month in the US (in yesterday's thread about 3G Facetime) - it makes me pretty glad to be British.

• Reply 253 of 315

For apple to suggest that the apology equates to advertising is approaching contempt of court. Where are they being told to upsell Samsung over apple products? Perhaps apple are suggesting that apple customers are unaware that alternatives exist...

• Reply 254 of 315
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member

It would be more useful to Samsung if Apple had to post that the Samsung Tablet WAS a copy of an Ipad.

• Reply 255 of 315
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    LOL

"Samsung did not copy the iPad"

Consumer: "Ok, so I WANT an iPad now."

<strong>ROFL</strong>

lol squared!
  • Reply 256 of 315

Chalk this up as a win for common sense!! I believe it was nothing more than Apple being spiteful after a failed attempt to buy the Super AMOLED screen from Samsung on the cheap. Besides, how many different ways can you make a rectangle?

• Reply 257 of 315
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    newcode wrote: »
    Apple's ad should have a picture of the two products followed by this:

"Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. They couldn't be more different."

(and then the legal blurb underneath)

That would do it.
  • Reply 258 of 315
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Apple have pretty much done that anyway.

Corp. taxes in Ireland are lower, meanng that Apple save money, unfortunately it means that UK itunes customers have to pay the higher levels of Irish Vat on itunes purchases. Thanks Apple...

What was that Beatle's song:- 

"Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

Obviously things haven't changed much since 1966.

• Reply 259 of 315
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

...VAST majority of tablets that anyone will see anywhere are iPads.  From a distance, all touch-screen tablets are going to have a similar design.  There's a big screen that you touch, a headphone jack, a possible volume control button, and likely a button or two that have to be on the edge of the case (where else would you click it?)  

touch-screen tablets...

iPad and…. before that, what?

Add "rounded corners, thin aluminum surrounding bevel, screen bevel width, position (and the very EXISTENCE of) a "home button", the thin form factor, rounded back…", and so on and so on… so many small, non-trivial design details that WERE 'slavishly copied' (a premise that judges in OTHER countries have agreed with)...

I'm not advocating that Apple is 100% the sole innovator here. But I am saying that, if you drive up in a Ferarri… and then another guy drives up in a Ferarri and… oh, wait, it sure looked like a Ferarri, but it has a different logo on it, and oh, yeah, on second and third glance, the wheels are just a LITTLE bit further apart, and the rear end shape isn't QUITE the same… and if I lift the hood, oh well shyah! different engines! Of course, I shoulda known!

Should no-one have an issue here with the "Ferarri Clone" taking sales from Ferarri using designs that are clearly a "signature design style" developed by Ferarri?

There has to be a point at which you draw lines. One says, don't overdo it on the "that's mine!" side, but also don't go too far in the "I'm going to do it EXACTLY like they did" side...

Who's more in the wrong here in the end? I think Samsung, but hey… that's just me...

• Reply 260 of 315
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

imagePerhaps the judge took devices such as the iTablet (from 2007) into account when ruling that Samsung did not steal the overall design from apple and may have been inspired by more than one pre-existing device

Nice try. See earlier prototypes from Apple, 2002 ~ 2004………….