Updated My Xbox LIVE iOS app brings console control to iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In an update to its Xbox LIVE iOS app on Tuesday, Microsoft added support for the iPad bringing remote control capabilities first seen in the app's iPhone version to Apple's tablet.

While the update is a far cry from Microsoft's SmartGlass Xbox companion app, a cross-platform program meant to enhance interactivity between the console and mobile devices, Tuesday's My Xbox LIVE update brings a handful of useful features to the iPad, reports Engadget.

When the app first launched in December 2011, the app was limited to basic functions like Xbox LIVE content browsing, friend list access and message editing. Version 1.5, released in June, brought Xbox Companion remote control functionality to the iPhone as well as high-resolution image support for the iPad.

The most recent version 1.6 adds the missing Companion feature to the iPad, allowing users to launch games, browse Xbox LIVE video content, play DVDs or videos and navigate the console's UI. Most of the Metro interface seen on Windows Phone handsets has made its way to the virtual remote control, though the iPad app's digital D-pad and Xbox-centric function buttons are all but swallowed by the tablet's 9-inch screen.

Xbox LIVE
Screenshot of My Xbox LIVE device pairing instructions.

Also not present is any trace of AirPlay-like capabilities like screen sharing or video interactivity, but those features should arrive when the promised SmartGlass launches later this year.

Microsoft's My Xbox LIVE app update weighs in at 27MB and can be downloaded for free through the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

X-cellent!

(Did you see what I did there?)

• Reply 2 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

X-cellent!

(Did you see what I did there?)

Exxxxxcellent     Exxxxxxcellent...

• Reply 3 of 14

I doubled-clicked the box with "next" in it and the screen froze.  ????????

• Reply 4 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Wouldn't supporting a competing platform would undermine the XBox ecosystem? Not sure if they're turning over a new leaf or they just don't know what they're doing.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not sure if they're turning over a new leaf or they just don't know what they're doing.

Can't it be both? ;-)

• Reply 6 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I doubled-clicked the box with "next" in it and the screen froze.  ????????

That is by design.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wouldn't supporting a competing platform would undermine the XBox ecosystem? Not sure if they're turning over a new leaf or they just don't know what they're doing.

not like anyone has a windows phone. and the PS3 has nothing close to this, so it's going to make people buy x-boxes.

• Reply 8 of 14
    al_bundy wrote: »

not like anyone has a windows phone. and the PS3 has nothing close to this, so it's going to make people buy x-boxes.

Isn't the Lumia 900 is like $50 now with contract?

It seems to me there is a risk of drawing away from the platform than drawing towards.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I don't get it. How is this better than the Xbox controller? Unless I am mistaken, this is just more fail from Microshaft. Xbox360 pure (none of this iPad bollocks) is the only thing worthwhile about MS. Why can't they make just a simple bl**dy web browser for Xbox360 I don't know. "Apps" on Xbox is so clunky, and most require XboxLiveGold, which no way in heck am I paying for at this stage.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Also, Xbox360 (even Slim) doesn't have 802.11n ~5ghz~ support. So, if you want to do all this finagling, you have to take your iPad off 5ghz, which if you're syncing your iPad with AppleTV and other stuff, it means you have to take ~everything~ off 5ghz.

Pointless rubbish.

Why can't Idiotic Microsoft make an actual gaming console that doesn't have graphics that makes you feel you're partying like it's 2002.

Xbox is a very good platform, it is just so darn dated. But amazing game developers are there ~ Assassin's, Batman, Dirt, MassEffect, etc.

We just need someone with the b*lls to make an ~actual~ next-gen console, not this namby-pamby casual/ family/ motion sensor/ 3D/ portable garbage.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Also, Xbox360 (even Slim) doesn't have 802.11n ~5ghz~ support. So, if you want to do all this finagling, you have to take your iPad off 5ghz, which if you're syncing your iPad with AppleTV and other stuff, it means you have to take ~everything~ off 5ghz.

Doesn't it just have to be on the same subnet? On my network, my source devices don't know or care about the link medium of the target device, the packet still gets there. For example, I have a wired laser printer, yet I can print to it wirelessly without issue because the access point connects the wired and wireless networks together.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    apple///apple/// Posts: 90member

Can't agree that the X-box 360 is like partying like its "2002" graphics wise. It certainly is much better then anything out back then console wise. Heck even PC graphics in 2002 were not as good as what you get from top developers today for the 360 and PS3. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    apple/// wrote: »
    Can't agree that the X-box 360 is like partying like its "2002" graphics wise. It certainly is much better then anything out back then console wise. Heck even PC graphics in 2002 were not as good as what you get from top developers today for the 360 and PS3. 

OK. Party like it's 2004. That's all I'll budge. 1280x720 you can max out Half Life 2 pretty hard and that is the best Xbox360 will ever do. I admire what the developers have achieved out of the Xbox360 engine and hardware, but it's 2004 stuff. The past 3 years have mainly just been "hacks" to get a certain "look".

Even if we assume a 7-year console cycle, that means that as of Jan 2005 whatever console ability (reflected as of 2005 regardless if the console came out ~in~ 2005) will need to be phased out in Jan 2012.

This means that for mainstream to enthusiast gaming consoles, we are 7.5 years into this cycle. With absolutely nothing feasible until at least Jan 2013.

Keep in mind that a general-purpose, "crippled" iPad Retina can do 1080p HD without breaking a sweat. The thing is of course the OpenGL capability and graphics capability is not mature yet to get DX9-quality graphics, but in 3 years there is no way it won't.

Let's say in Jan 2015 ~ the Retina iPad (2015 model) will be doing "SuperHD" ie. 3K resolution (that's digital cinema) graphics, with probably Unreal Engine 4, DX11-quality graphics, not to mention CPU capabilities. In 2015 the Retina iPad (2015 model) will obliterate anything the Xbox360 and PS3 can do.

So let's say if Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are waiting until 2014, that means that in just 1.5 year's time the Xbox360 & PS3 is about 10 years old in terms of capability, and doing only a ridiculous 1280x720 resolution.

The common-sense argument is for Microsoft (Sony is lost at this stage) to do the Xbox720 for release Jan 2014 at the very latest to entrench themselves for 2014 through to 2020, fending off hardcore competition from tablet, mobile, and "casual" gaming.

So unless a half-decent (not rubbish like most of what MS has churned out since the admittedly admirable Xbox360) gaming console is launched by Microsoft sometime next year... they will not be wiped out, but certainly eclipsed by the iPad.

Let's look at the Xbox 360 yearly:
    X360 13,808,365 (+4%) 63,769,444 TOTAL
    PS3 14,128,407 (+1%) 60,597,021 TOTAL

The iPad has eclipsed total sales of XBOX360 already. In just 6 months of 2012, it will roughly match COMBINED Xbox360 and PS3 PER YEAR.

Microsoft is trying to still hawk their ridiculous Xbox Live "Gold", aka de-crippling good money already paid for a console and Internet connection:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250121/99-xbox-360-with-2-year-subscription-confirmed/

This is the wrong demographic. To compete with tablet, mobile and casual gaming, the Xbox720 must go balls-to-the-wall. We're talking real 1080p resolution. People say, "oh, price this, price that".

But for around the price of a CURRENT XBOX360 (let's say $350) tell me Microsoft cannot put together a gaming console that needs a fraction of a Core i3 power, and a simple, insanely cheap Nvidia 9800GT-class GPU.

You can get a Dell laptop for $399 with an order of magnitude (except the GPU) more powerful than an Xbox360. And that has a screen as well!

In the end, this is the most disturbing thing.

Is it possible, that MICROSOFT, with the world's richest man at its helm, cannot put together this class of device for US $399 retail while still making a profit, in 2013:

Intel Core Solo 2ghz
    512MB 800mhz RAM
    Nvidia 8600GT 512GB DDR3
    120GB desktop HDD
    13" Laptop size but with no screen

Sure, this sounds "a lot" for a gaming console but remember, you can go and buy this second hand for $200 max. Even better, there's probably millions in the world sitting in junk piles.

Something is fishy.

Technology that nobody wants can be used to drive excellent mainstream and high-end console gaming from 2012 through 2018, yet nobody is bothered to make this happen.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Doesn't it just have to be on the same subnet? On my network, my source devices don't know or care about the link medium of the target device, the packet still gets there. For example, I have a wired laser printer, yet I can print to it wirelessly without issue because the access point connects the wired and wireless networks together.

True, but this requires more work (wired, wireless, subnets, bridging, etc) to set up than a single wireless 802.11n 5ghz network. To achieve what exactly in the case of using an iPad instead of a Xbox360 wireless controller? That's what I'm wondering.