Apple's Retina display iPad driving enterprise adoption

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Since the launch of the third-generation iPad with Retina display in March, Apple has seen adoption amongst business users increase significantly, according to a new study.

The data comes from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, which provided AppleInsider with a copy of its latest report on Thursday. The firm's proprietary research found that iPad sales to business users have picked up since the iPad with Retina display debuted.

Among buyers of the latest iPad model, 21 percent indicated they are more likely to use the touchscreen tablet for business. That compares to just 13 percent of iPad users across all models who said they would use their iPad for business.

Leisure use is still the most dominant way people interact with their iPads, but the data shows that business use for Apple's tablet is increasing. CIRP's data found that business use saw the single largest increase of any category

In fact, only social networking use saw a substantial increase, from 11 to 16 percent, thanks to the launch of the new iPad. Other usage categories, like Internet, entertainment, e-mail, education, reading and apps, were largely unchanged by the debut of the third-generation iPad.

The research also concluded that devoted Apple product owners are more likely to find ways to use their iPad for business, but less likely to play games.. CIRP identified Apple devotees as customers who own an Apple TV, and AirPort Wi-Fi Router, or a Time Capsule.

In addition, the study found that customers who buy an iPad with more storage are more likely to use the device for "more serious purposes," such as business. But while there was a correlation with capacity, those differences did not exist when comparing Wi-Fi-only iPad to users to those with 3G or 4G LTE connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    So when will the doubters stop calling it "just a toy"?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

No stylus ... no keyboard ... Apple is doomed ...

• Reply 3 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So when will the doubters stop calling it "just a toy"?

Never? Haters gotta hate.

• Reply 4 of 43
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Love my iPad- in fact, I don't think I will ever buy a laptop again. My next Mac purchase will be a tower for sure. iPad is the ultra portable!

• Reply 5 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Just one problem - none of the differences look terribly significant. Unless they sampled a fairly large number, most of the differences are below the error margins.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    The firm's proprietary research found that iPad sales to business users have picked up since the iPad with Retina display debuted.

I haven't read the report, but it seems to me that the uptick in business adoption could be a result of the sense that the iPad was the only major player in the game. After the Retina iPad came out it quickly became clear that the tablet market was split between Apple and mostly e-readers like the Kindle or the Nook.

From a platform stability point of view (very important to businesses) Apple was looking to be the only option... I'm sure MS and Google hope that perception is changing, I guess well see when MS releases their wiz bang two-headed tablet this fall. ...or this spring. Or definately by next summer...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

No stylus ... no keyboard ... Apple is doomed ...

you forgot about FLASH, EXTERNAL Memory, removable battery, NFC

• Reply 8 of 43

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 >>>> tired, old, boring iPad

In any case, without Steve Jobs, Apple is on the way out, so to speak.

Patent trolling only goes so far.

• Reply 9 of 43

The company I was working for last year was experimenting with the iPad. It was a stupid thing to do because it was being used in a cold environment. It would be taken inside and outside a few times a day. That will eventually lead to failure because of condensation on the internal parts. The job it was doing was good and will work well in states that aren't so cold. The program testing was begun in the spring. Somebody wasn't thinking straight when they sent them to Montana.

• Reply 10 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

you forgot about FLASH, EXTERNAL Memory, removable battery, NFC

What is the disadvantage of having external memory and removable batteries.

I realize you are a fanboi, but nevertheless... what is bad about giving the consumer options? If you don't like external memory you don't have to use it, right?

About the stylus. While a stylus might not be "cool" at the moment, I personally love my fingerprint-free Galaxy Note!!

Nothing more disgusting than some greasy iPad.... yuk!!

• Reply 11 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The company I was working for last year was experimenting with the iPad. It was a stupid thing to do because it was being used in a cold environment. It would be taken inside and outside a few times a day. That will eventually lead to failure because of condensation on the internal parts. The job it was doing was good and will work well in states that aren't so cold. The program testing was begun in the spring. Somebody wasn't thinking straight when they sent them to Montana.

Not only that, but who would want to use a "public" iPad? 

Having to look at one's own fingerprints is disgusting enough...

• Reply 12 of 43
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 >>>> tired, old, boring iPad

In any case, without Steve Jobs, Apple is on the way out, so to speak.
    Patent trolling only goes so far.
    Let me guess,
    You are between 14 and 16 years old. You just got a Galaxy Tab II as your birthday present and you like it. I say that's great! It's certainly nice that you like your present.
    But I strongly advice you to not waste your time on a forum heavily dedicated to Apple products. this is really a waste of time! Why don't you checkout some android sites?
    I am sure their are some reasonable ones.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have my doubts that there is much correlation between the Retina screen and business adoption as cause for the increase. It is just that the iPad's time has come. It is not so much of a novelty now and business users have enough software to actually make use of it. It just takes longer for computing trends to make it into the enterprise environment.

• Reply 14 of 43
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperJunior View Post

I realize you are a fanboi, but nevertheless... what is bad about giving the consumer options? If you don't like external memory you don't have to use it, right?

About the stylus. While a stylus might not be "cool" at the moment, I personally love my fingerprint-free Galaxy Note!!

Nothing more disgusting than some greasy iPad.... yuk!!

You can't accuse someone of being an Apple fanboy, then act like an Android one.

• Reply 15 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Let me guess,

You are between 14 and 16 years old. You just got a Galaxy Tab II as your birthday present and you like it. I say that's great! It's certainly nice that you like your present.

But I strongly advice you to not waste your time on a forum heavily dedicated to Apple products. this is really a waste of time! Why don't you checkout some android sites?

I am sure their are some reasonable ones.

Sadly, you are wrong on all accounts.

I just think my Tab 2 looks more "modern" than my mother's iPad 2.

Plus, I cherish freedom and I am not "loyal" or "dedicated" to any company (what a weird concept!).

• Reply 16 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

You can't accuse someone of being an Apple fanboy, then act like an Android one.

OK, fair enough. A greasy tablet is something disgusting, no matter which company made it.

Seriously, I don't get the concept of being a "fan" of a company (or an operating system).

• Reply 17 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperJunior View Post

There is nothing wrong with an SD card reader which is an option for the iPad but just for camera compatibility. The problem is that saving to or reading from an external memory card is incompatible with the iOS philosophy. To access a memory card in an unrestricted way would require a user accessible file system and could potentially open up a security loop hole so the iPad is better off using the network to back up.

With respect to batteries; consumers should not get anywhere close to the types of batteries an iPad uses. That is far too dangerous. Batteries that would be safe for consumers to replace would make the device more than twice as thick and quite bit heavier than it currently is. 10 hours is plenty of time for 99% of typical users. The other 1% who need 11 hours will have to find another solution.

• Reply 18 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Time Capsule is awesome with my Mac, but it really needs to back up iPads as well. iCloud is terrific for that purpose, but I want local backups too, and I recommend the same to anyone. Time Capsule would be perfect: one less reason to tie your iPad to a Mac or PC.

• Reply 19 of 43
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Sadly, you are wrong on all accounts.
    I just think my Tab 2 looks more "modern" than my mother's iPad 2.
    Plus, I cherish freedom and I am not "loyal" or "dedicated" to any company (what a weird concept!).

So what am I exactly wrong about?

The part where I said you liked your Galaxy Tab??
    Or the part where I said, it's OK to like it?
    Or the part where I suggested that there might be reasonable android sites?

Please enlighten us!
  • Reply 20 of 43

The problem for enterprises is that its hard to lock down the ipad. If you use the configurator most options in settings can be changed after the profile is loaded. The only thing that can be truly locked down is installing and deleting programs.

Apple really needs to update this in revisions.