Today's big iTunes Match, Cloud expansion also adds support for Twentieth Century Fox films

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Twentieth Century Fox has finally joined the rest of the "Big 6" movie studios in allowing iTunes users to download previous movie purchases from the cloud, a major expansion of Apple's "iTunes in the Cloud" strategy on a day that also added support for dozens of new markets globally.

Apple launched iTunes in the cloud with support for four of the top six studios, but both Fox and Comcast's Universal remained notably absent from the program.

Films from those studios in iTunes remained badged with the warning "This movie is not available for iCloud downloading" as each worked to resolve existing contractual obligations with HBO. Universal's portfolio of movies became available for re-download back in April.

In addition to Fox movies now joining iTunes in the Cloud, Apple also greatly expanded the number of global markets eligible to access iTunes movies from the cloud, with Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, the U.K., Venezuela, and Vietnam all reportedly gaining new support for movies.

Additionally, Apple has also expanded iTunes Match to working Poland and Hungary.

Notable markets that are reportedly not yet supported include France, Germany, Japan and Spain. Apple has not yet updated its listing of countries supporting each of the various media stores within iTunes, which includes music, movies, books and apps.

Content controlled by Apple (particularly the App Store and iBooks) is already widely available, but complex licensing issues with each country have stymied Apple's rollout of music, music videos, TV shows and movie sales globally.

Apple has by far the widest distribution of any online media retailer however, as both Amazon and Google are largely limited to selling only in the US market. The company will likely provide more details about its iTunes expansion figures when it presents its fiscal Q3 performance in a conference call scheduled for next Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if Apple will ever manage to get agreements to allow international TV in the USA seamlessly. It'd be great to be able to watch TV from another country,
  • Reply 2 of 19

This is good news. I am glad to hear that Fox has joined the bandwagon. This makes my digital copy collection complete!

• Reply 3 of 19

Wonder when they will release iTunes Match/In the Cloud for Norway. You`d think the only country in the western world completely unaffected by global economic voes AND with one of the highest Mac and iOS market share would be a focus area. 

• Reply 4 of 19
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Why is UltraViolet taking over iTunes Digital copies with blu-ray purchases?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syltaldo View Post

…the only country in the western world completely unaffected by global economic voes…

Well, when you find an actual one of those, let me know…

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Why is UltraViolet taking over iTunes Digital copies with blu-ray purchases?

The former does 1080 while the latter never has, I believe. It's to do with the individual distributor's decision not to support it (higher-res iTunes digital stuff), I think.

• Reply 6 of 19
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member

This is good news. But I wonder if Apple can bring down the movie purchase and rental prices in the iTunes store. Charging $19.99 for a single movie is too much for an average user. That's why so many people are paying for streaming services like Netflix, which charges $7.99 a month for unlimited viewing. 

• Reply 7 of 19
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Additionally, Apple has also expanded iTunes Match to working Poland and Hungary.

So now get iTunes Match to match RIP'd vinyl (those big round, 33 1/3, LP things).

• Reply 8 of 19
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

I presume this is just for the United States for now. I've got a total of 288 movies in iTunes and only 251 are showing.

• Reply 9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syltaldo View Post

Wonder when they will release iTunes Match/In the Cloud for Norway. You`d think the only country in the western world completely unaffected by global economic voes AND with one of the highest Mac and iOS market share would be a focus area. 

Hmm, Maybe Canada? I think we're doing the best in these times. Ever go to Iceland and see the group, Of Monsters And Men? Check out their CD "My Head Is An Animal." Awesome!!

• Reply 10 of 19

Doesn't seem to be just for the USA, I just saw the Simpsons movie appear my iCloud collection. I'm on the British iTunes store.

• Reply 11 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Doesn't seem to be just for the USA, I just saw the Simpsons movie appear my iCloud collection. I'm on the British iTunes store.

I checked and I now see the Twentieth Century Fox movies listed. Still some movies aren't and I guess because some are independents such as documentaries, music concerts and shorts. At least now if the internal HDD fails or the backup crashes at the same time[wonder what the chances are of that happening] I'll be able to download them without having to pay for them again.

• Reply 12 of 19
    syltaldo wrote: »

LOL, the last time I was in Norway, people complained they could not order from Amazon because the funny letter "Ø" was not recognized on the credit card payment page. Poor Norway.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    At least 1 MGM movie I can see is still showing the "not available in the cloud" message.
  • Reply 14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

This is good news. But I wonder if Apple can bring down the movie purchase and rental prices in the iTunes store. Charging $19.99 for a single movie is too much for an average user. That's why so many people are paying for streaming services like Netflix, which charges $7.99 a month for unlimited viewing. 

The only thing comparable between AppleTV and netflix is that they both do streaming. Netflix is so cheap because their movie offerings suck - they offer old and B-grade content - thus their service is not worth more than $8 a month.

In my area we get just as good movies from the small time over the air channels like MEtv for example - and these channels are free.  The only part of netflix that has value is their children's section, and thats because children don't care about "old or new" as long as there is something on.  You get what you pay... 

• Reply 15 of 19

I don't understand how this works. My Jurassic Park digital copies are showing as purchased, but my Back to the Future ones are not.

• Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

…but my Back to the Future ones are not.

They will have been showed up after they did become available.

• Reply 17 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They will have been showed up after they did become available.

I don't understand what you are saying. 

• Reply 18 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

I don't understand what you are saying. 

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can’t cope with…

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner’s Time Traveler’s Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term “Future Perfect” has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

• Reply 19 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can’t cope with…

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner’s Time Traveler’s Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term “Future Perfect” has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

I am assuming this is some kind of joke about the BTTF reference, but since your grammar in your post before this does not make any sense whatsoever, I was unable to get the joke.

Now, in all seriousness, I have Jurassic Park and Back to the Future digital copies. Both are Universal, but only Jurassic Park is showing in my "Purchased Movies" in iTunes. So basically, I cannot re-download BTTF if needed. Any thoughts as to why?