Google argues popular Apple patents are de facto standards essential

Comments

• Reply 21 of 275
    leeeh2leeeh2 Posts: 30member

The is very close to Google admitting, that they copied Apple patents.

• Reply 22 of 275

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) At least Google is acknowledging that Apple has patented tech before others. That's more than I can say for the resident trolls of this forum.

I wonder if Apple could actually use this against Google/Motorola in court. Did Google specifically mention Apple's patents as being essential? Isn't that admission that it's innovative and no one else has been able to create something like it?

• Reply 23 of 275
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    This is the first time Google has just come out and admitted the truth we already know. The iPhone is too good to be patented. It has become a human right, not just a competitive product. At least we can have an honest debate.
  • Reply 24 of 275
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeeh2 View Post

The is very close to Google admitting, that they copied Apple patents.

Indeed!

• Reply 25 of 275

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

This is the first time Google has just come out and admitted the truth we already know. The iPhone is too good to be patented. It has become a human right, not just a competitive product. At least we can have an honest debate.

Hahaha....ha.......... I hope you were kidding...

• Reply 26 of 275

I don't think Google is making this as an argument in the current litigation, clearly the law as currently stands has no such concept as "commercially essential". In theory, they're asking the laws be changed to create that standard.

In reality, this is about trying to head off investigations by the ITC and others about Motorola's (thus Google's) abuse of FRAND licensing for standards-essential patents. They're going for a classic defense, "Mooooom! But he does toooooo!" Since Apple, in fact, does have standards-essential patents (for H.264 and I believe some other standards) and does in fact license them under FRAND, Google has to redefine the bad behavior to include Apple.

• Reply 27 of 275
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, it's a very thin claim indeed.  It's also illogical.  

The reason the cellular radio patents are essential is that you can't make a phone without them.  Clearly, you can make a great phone, even a great multi-touch smartphone, without Apple's patents.  You can also make a search engine without Google's algorithms.  

Apple's patents aren't essential to making a phone or even competing with them in the same industry.  They are only essential to make a phone that will beat Apple economically.  Thus Google's facile, misleading use of the term "economically essential."  

Any judge or court that sides with Google on this would be "anti-competition."  They would be supporting Google as a company in it's fight with Apple, not supporting the industry as a whole.  

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I agree, but think the suggestion of forcing Google to license their Search Algorithm was sarcasm.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 28 of 275
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

This is an interesting, if desperate legal theory.  If I'm Apple's legal team, I'm framing this letter to the Senate in their offices and trotting it out for any further legal jousting with Google.  Some people have said that in order for Google to enjoy iPhone patents, they will need to cede something important like their search patents.  It's more than that....they'd have to hand over Adsense and a bunch of other related IP.  And even all of that is still smaller than the overall business of the iPhone.

This also might be a better argument if Google was a bit player trying to survive in the Phone market.  But with Android phones outselling iPhone 2:1 worldwide because they used this IP and basically gave it away to whomever wanted it, it's not just a bad argument, it's hilariously bad.

• Reply 29 of 275
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Dog-eat-dog.

Apple got to non-FRAND features first, then patented them because it's ridiculously smart to do so.

Tough-titty, Google. 

I have a great solution for Google: just continue thieving, as before. After all, it's working *great* so far, right? RIGHT??

• Reply 30 of 275

FAIR WARNING, from 2007.

What, did everyone think he was kidding??

• Reply 31 of 275
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

Of course!

Apple's patents are definitely essential to all companies who wish to create products that are just like Apple's.

• Reply 32 of 275

Google:

"We aren't first movers. We're asking for something (free ride) in compensation for our slowness."

OR

"We had this kind of tech, too. We were just too friggin stupid to think of patenting it."

OR

"We just randomly steal shit without thinking of the repercussions, and then raise all hell when people start catching on."

You be the judge. 

• Reply 33 of 275

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

This is an interesting, if desperate legal theory.  If I'm Apple's legal team, I'm framing this letter to the Senate in their offices and trotting it out for any further legal jousting with Google.  Some people have said that in order for Google to enjoy iPhone patents, they will need to cede something important like their search patents.  It's more than that....they'd have to hand over Adsense and a bunch of other related IP.  And even all of that is still smaller than the overall business of the iPhone.

This also might be a better argument if Google was a bit player trying to survive in the Phone market.  But with Android phones outselling iPhone 2:1 worldwide because they used this IP and basically gave it away to whomever wanted it, it's not just a bad argument, it's hilariously bad.

Apple won't and doesn't need to allow Google to use any of their patents. Frankly, if I was on Google's board of directors I'd be very worried about Google being sued into oblivion by every phone and tablet manufacturer who signed onto Android.

• Reply 34 of 275
    Google: "if enough people copy your patents, we'll call it 'standards essential' thus making the copying retroactively legal."
    Steve Jobs was right: "That 'don't be evil'? It's bullshit."
  • Reply 35 of 275

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google:

"We aren't first movers. We're asking for something (free ride) in compensation for our slowness."

OR

"We had this kind of tech, too. We were just too friggin stupid to think of patenting it."

You be the judge. 

I believe a nearly identical scenario arose in 'Atlas Shrugged'. Apple... patent holder of Reardon Metal.

• Reply 36 of 275
  • Reply 37 of 275

With a few exceptions, Apple doesn't do licensing. Which is part of the reason they're so successful today. 

The Apple Experience is reserved for Apple products. 

This enables a massive level of differentiation. Which is what Apple is known for today. 

• Reply 38 of 275
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

My hatred of Google is growing daily.

Standards Essential Patents are established by the patent holder and other companies, who agree in advance to cross license the patents at fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory rates. They are not established by lame, backstabbing, copycat companies who unilaterally decide that a competitor's private patents, upon which no standards have been established, must be shared with others whether they like it or not.

Google is following Microsoft's footsteps as a predatory company with few original ideas, and I hope that this leads them to their fall just as it did Microsoft.

• Reply 39 of 275
    so multitouch should belong to one company?

morons.
  • Reply 40 of 275
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google: "if enough people copy your patents, we'll call it 'standards essential' thus making the copying retroactively legal."

Steve Jobs was right: "That 'don't be evil'? It's bullshit."

Yep! 

Sent from the ghost of Steve Jobs as interpreted by Mac Voyer.