Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Go Full Screen on any display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86

• Reply 42 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    BTW: What's up with this forum software? It overrides right click with a custom "Paste" option, which then tells me it isn't allowed to paste in the first place. Wow. Just let the browser do its own menus...

I know. This forum software was designed by folks that seem to think they know better than other forum software, but it really falls flat on its face on too many things.

Quoting SolipsismX's signature: "Do you wish to use the old forum editor? Choose Preferences toward the top of the page, look for Preferred Editor Type at the bottom of the window, and choose BB Code Editor."

I've yet to notice any improvements to the Huddler system since they started. You'd think they would be trying to make it better due to feedback, several improvement requests are quite simple to make.

Imagine relying on a button to do almost anything on your computer. That button is gone. The functionality is still there, but it looks completely different and is used differently.

That's a pretty major issue in my opinion. You'll be treated like a kid on Engadget, etc. for pointing out that problem too. What's worse is that taking away that button is completely unnecessary. You have that button be central part of your UI for 17 years and then just take it away? I don't see that going well with consumers.

I understand some of the merits of the start menu screen, but its implementation is disorienting.

And half of it is on the other side of the screen where you'd never think to look for it.

I have a hard time getting that slide-out panel on the right hand side working in a virtualization window. Maybe I can trigger it 20% of the time.

gosford wrote: »
    Mac fan boys are all oh windows this and windows dat.. and Mac OS is oh so great...but these problems that mac having are already implemented in almost every windows OS. Ok, so im use to having 2 monitors running different programs at the same time in windows. VLC on one watching movie and the other have google chrome so I can monitor ma email/facebook.

I have not seen where the Windows system is better on this. When I try to use full screen video my Windows computer with two monitors, any click on the other screen breaks the app on the first screen out of full screen. VLC is an outlier that breaks a lot of OS user interface conventions on Windows and OS X, so I wouldn't use VLC behavior as an indicator of general behavior of the OS.
  • Reply 43 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Mountain Lion has evolved into something troubling with it's full screen implementation (and I personally dislike what OSX is becoming), I can't imagine the agonizing mess Win 8 has become.

I have no idea in Win8, but with 7 multiscreen stuff works fine with fullscreen.

I can, for example, run VLC fullscreen on the big TV using HDMI, while using the screen on the laptop as normal.  There are options allowing you to mirror the desktop, extend it, or use the second monitor as a separate screen altogether.

I was surprised to learn that OSX has such problems with full screen views.

• Reply 44 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I've yet to notice any improvements to the Huddler system since they started. You'd think they would be trying to make it better due to feedback, several improvement requests are quite simple to make.

I like the embedded YouTube videos and the ability to upload a photo instead of first sending it to my Flickr account but there are just so many niggling issues that it just seems the site admins don't care about the usability or retaining forum commenters.

I know some things could be complex, perhaps like removing the Reply button from showing up in every post so threads and quotes stay congruent or making the features work with iOS; but some things like adding the emoticons icons back so we don't see squares with question marks in them, or by changing the AppleInsider image link at the top to take you back to the top domain instead of just to the list of general forum sections.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    dagazdagaz Posts: 19member
    I agree with this sentiment entirely. I've used Mac OS since OS 6 (on a Mac Classic) and I've used OS X since 10.1 (on a G3 iMac) and this is the most infuriating design flaw I've ever come across in an Apple OS. I love the concept of full-screen apps when my MacBook Pro is cut free, but hate the implementation when connected to an external display - what's the point in having multiple monitors if only one of those monitors is actually useful? Whoever at Apple thought that the current behaviour is the most elegant solution to full-screen apps on a multi-monitor system has their head to far up their own ass to be able to see properly.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

I just don't understand the move towards full screen apps on the desktop. The development of a windowed environment (pushed by Apple no less) was one of the great breakthroughs in UI design, allowing people to see multiple applications and windows at the same time. It was revolutionary.

Full screen makes sense on basic devices such as iPads, but on full blown computers? Not a chance, and the total failure of making this broken concept work on dual monitor set-ups (something which is standard in many industries) is further proof.   Apple and Microsoft, - both are pushing this idiotic trend - need to remember what kind of people use computers. We want power and performance and we're intelligent enough to not need everything dumbing down to giant coloured buttons or full screen applications.

• Reply 47 of 86
    kotatsu wrote: »
    I just don't understand the move towards full screen apps on the desktop. The development of a windowed environment (pushed by Apple no less) was one of the great breakthroughs in UI design, allowing people to see multiple applications and windows at the same time. It was revolutionary.

Full screen makes sense on basic devices such as iPads, but on full blown computers? Not a chance, and the total failure of making this broken concept work on dual monitor set-ups (something which is standard in many industries) is further proof.   Apple and Microsoft, - both are pushing this idiotic trend - need to remember what kind of people use computers. We want power and performance and we're intelligent enough to not need everything dumbing down to giant coloured buttons or full screen applications.

There are plenty of apps that can benefit from fullscreen. I use it quite often for some app but not all time for any app. Remember that there are still one or more Spaces that can have an innumerable number of windows on the screen. If Apple was taking away the ability to have anything but a fullscreen app the way it makes sense in iOS then I'd understand your position.

The other point being made here I do agree with, and I assume has to be a bug, is this disabling of any other display in use when a single app goes fullscreen. That simply makes no sense from a usability standpoint.
  • Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are plenty of apps that can benefit from fullscreen. I use it quite often for some app but not all time for any app. Remember that there are still one or more Spaces that can have an innumerable number of windows on the screen. If Apple was taking away the ability to have anything but a fullscreen app the way it makes sense in iOS then I'd understand your position.

The other point being made here I do agree with, and I assume has to be a bug, is this disabling of any other display in use when a single app goes fullscreen. That simply makes no sense from a usability standpoint.

I don't think its a bug.

Think back to the WWDC when Lion was announced. Even Apple said it was for small screen laptop computers to make better use of screen real-estate. In applications like Excel, its a brilliant idea. On a desktop, or a laptop with connected displays, why would you ever use it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

Sadly, he is not wrong though is he.

It is a real shame. It is unlikely to hurt Apple at all as they are so far ahead of Windows. But it would be nice if they would stop with all the stripping out of OSX.

The situation almost calls for and OS X Pro. Still X / X Server 10.6.8 will do for a good while yet in most enterprise / business environments.

I still don't see how OSX 10.7/8 is any less "Pro" than previous incarnations. If you don't like the iOS-style features, then don't use them! Viola! Problem solved!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It sucks that they no has the Single UNIX Specification 3 (SUSv3)¡ They've also removed the Utilities folder from /Applications and there is no way to add your new apps, everything has to go through the Mac App Store, unless someone finds a way to jailbreak their Mac¡ If this keeps up the next version of Xcode to develop Mac and iOS apps will be Windows program¡

They haven't removed the utilities folder: its been renamed to "Other" and, in my eyes, that makes more sense. Not everything in that folder can be considered a utility - in-fact, a fair few things in there should really be in a folder called "System", such as the terminal, and some things should really be in system preferences or the Apple Menu , such as the Audio MIDI Setup.

• Reply 49 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

LOL, this says it all. Now an option to do this might have a use once in a while but it should be an option. The default should be any screen can have a full screen app itself if the app were on that screen when you clicked full screen mode. This should have zero effect on any other screen that is connected. So in this photograph all three screens should be able to have a different full screen app running simultaneously. Come on Apple this is very UN Apple like as it is.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    mike54 wrote: »
    I also likened it to vomit. I'm to glad to see that someone else thinks the same.

Yes! I knew it rang a bell ... It's small pieces of carrot with peas ..... After a night drinking ... Memories from student days ...
  • Reply 51 of 86
    <p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">I don't think its a bug.</p>

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">Think back to the WWDC when Lion was announced. Even Apple said it was for small screen laptop computers to make better use of screen real-estate. In applications like Excel, its a brilliant idea. On a desktop, or a laptop with connected displays, why would you ever use it?</p>

> Aperture full screen on large screen can be awesome. I'm sure there are many other examples.

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">I still don't see how OSX 10.7/8 is any less "Pro" than previous incarnations. If you don't like the iOS-style features, then don't use them! Viola! Problem solved!</p>

> What little I've used of the GM I'd say it is even more professional.

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">They haven't removed the utilities folder: its been renamed to "Other" and, in my eyes, that makes more sense. Not everything in that folder can be considered a utility - in-fact, a fair few things in there should really be in a folder called "System", such as the terminal, and some things should really be in system preferences or the Apple Menu , such as the Audio MIDI Setup.</p>

> Thanks, good to know, I totally missed that. UPdate: I just checked ... in ML GM Utilities is still called Utilities on the Mac I am looking at ... what are you guys smoking?
  • Reply 52 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It sucks that they no has the Single UNIX Specification 3 (SUSv3)¡ They've also removed the Utilities folder from /Applications and there is no way to add your new apps, everything has to go through the Mac App Store, unless someone finds a way to jailbreak their Mac¡ If this keeps up the next version of Xcode to develop Mac and iOS apps will be Windows program¡

Utilities is still there in the GM I am looking at and it isn't renamed Other as suggested elsewhere in this thread. Is your install corrupt maybe? Also I can add new apps anyway I like unless of course you are meaning if the vendor only sells via Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    wyredwyred Posts: 10member

Hi all,

I agree full screen is broken with multiple displays and this doesn't appear to fully fix it, but there are a few points that you may have missed:

- Parallels DOES currently support multiple displays in full screen mode. (You have to enable it in settings) but once you do then you switch to the "Parallels Space" then both displays are available - I use mine as if I had a Windows PC with an extended desktop.

- To me this means right now all applications could use the gray linen screen if designed to use it...however it acts as a single space that BOTH change when shifting spaces, which is not ideal. So...

What I would like to see is to have the extra display(s) just act as another space, so for example

you have 6 spaces:

Single Screen mode:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

1 - 2 - x - 4 - 5 - 6   <- Under normal single screen mode, 1 space "x" is active.

1 - 2 - 3 - x - 5 - 6   <- as you scroll through the spaces left right, active space moves.

With dual displays, the active spaces should just be 2 adjacent spaces (by default):

1 - 2 - x - x - 5 - 6  <- Under default dual screen mode, 2 spaces "x" in 3 and 4 are active.

1 - 2 - 3 - x - x - 6   <- as you scroll through the spaces to the right, both spaces move over, in this case space #3 disappears, #4 shifts to the left display, and #5 appears in the right display.

If you need to move spaces from one display to the other, simply reorder them in the spaces list as you do now.

This is what I'd like to see Apple!

-Chris

• Reply 54 of 86
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

I just submitted a radar report for this via Apple's bug reporter and also used the feedback link.

I hope someone at Apple listens.

• Reply 55 of 86
    Utilities is still there in the GM I am looking at and it isn't renamed Other as suggested elsewhere in this thread. Is your install corrupt maybe? Also I can add new apps anyway I like unless of course you are meaning if the vendor only sells via Apple.

My entire comment is sarcastic hyperbole addressing the silly comments about Mac OS being "dumbed down" and that real users will clamor for Snow Leopard.

I need to find a more effective way to express sarcasm.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

My entire comment is sarcastic hyperbole addressing the silly comments about Mac OS being "dumbed down" and that real users will clamor for Snow Leopard.

I need to find a more effective way to express sarcasm.

I like deep red and italics (for bleeding sarcasm), but then you have to put in your signature what that means. 

Your way of doing it is best, though. It's not your fault that the punctuation isn't rendered correctly (legally within the standard-ly?) in some fonts.

• Reply 57 of 86

Quote:

This is what I'd like to see Apple!

-Chris

In Apple's opinion, this is like turn-of-the-century consumers telling Henry Ford that they "would like to see"  a faster horse.

Apple provides the solution that it knows is best.  They do not ask consumers what they want.  

• Reply 58 of 86
    I like deep red and italics (for bleeding sarcasm), but then you have to put in your signature what that means. 

Your way of doing it is best, though. It's not your fault that the punctuation isn't rendered correctly (legally within the standard-ly?) in some fonts.

I do want my points to be as clear as possible for the reader so I do consider that my problem. As you know, my use of the Temherte Slaqî was my attempt at using punctuation show irony when there was previously none. Unfortunately it's been mostly as effective as not using any such punctuation.

I think I've used it on this forum for about 4 years now. I'm calling it a failed experiment. Time to consider something else. I'm not keen on the text color because that limits it to richtext environment. Even italics can an issue if saw you're posting on Twitter. For those reasons it has to be a character but it has to be one that is common ASCII but used in a way that obviously stands out. I had thought the upside down exclamation point at the end would suffice as common to all systems but I can see hot it just might be a type of a lower case 'I' at the end of a sentence.

How about the tilde (~) before and after a word, sentence or paragraph to make it clear that the included section is ironic or sarcastic?
  • Reply 59 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

For those reasons it has to be a character but it has to be one that is common ASCII but used in a way that obviously stands out.

What about the irony/sarcasm mark? It's probably not common, but it's a proper character. ?

Okay, it… looks really weird (read: completely and utterly wrong) using Huddler's standard font. That's nice. Here's a better-looking one: ?

Quote:

How about the tilde (~) before and after a word, sentence or paragraph to make it clear that the included section is ironic or sarcastic?

~Oh yeah, that's going to work.~

• Reply 60 of 86
    What about the irony/sarcasm mark? It's probably not common, but it's a proper character. ?

Okay, it… looks really weird (read: completely and utterly wrong) using Huddler's standard font. That's nice. Here's a better-looking one: <span style="font-family:sans-serif;font-size:16px;line-height:19px;text-align:justify;">?</span>
    One problem with that character is that it's Unicode-only. Another is that's it's first use, which I agree with, is that it's better as a function of a rhetorically asked question.

I liked the ( ¡ ) because it was a defined irony mark in an Ethipoian language, it was common in Spanish and even though not ASCII it is standard in ISO, Unicode and HTML, only used at the beginning of Spanish sentences so there wouldn't be confusion of its usage, and easy to execute in any OS.
    ~Oh yeah, that's going to work.~
    ????