Looks like our troops went the wrong way...

13»

Comments

• Reply 42 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by Niconono:

<strong>Have you already been to Turkey ?

I think this country is not exactly a democracy. That's why they're no inside of the EU.

In Europe we don't have a segregation as you do in the US for black people. We just don't care about that.

It's like talking about racism between the different states in the US. just silly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Turkey's record is certainly beneath that of a first-world liberal democracy, but then so is the case for Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, Latvia, Cyprus (ethnic cleansing in the 70s)*, Croatia (ethnic cleansing in the 90s) yet all these are getting admittance in the EU, not because of their shining record as democracies (theirs is either equivalent to Turkey's or lesser) nor because of their outstanding economic development (Turkey is more developed than most of them, notably the former East-Bloc backwaters), but because of their ethnic Indo-European and cultural Christian backgrounds, as was recently remarked by Giscard.

Rather than being a club of economically developed and highly evolved democracies, the EU had decided to become a discriminatory country club, which is ?just silly? as you put it.

*Only the Türkrein Greek Cyprus is actually in, not Helenerein Turkish Cyprus.

There was some talk of ?reunification? in some yet to be determined future, but Greek Cyprus needs not waiting for it to materialise to get in.

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: Immanuel Goldstein ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 44
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>Ridiculous economic practices plus weak militaries mean no power..</strong><hr></blockquote>

That will be the ridiculous economic practices that mean Europeans work fewer hours, have more holidays, less per-capita poverty, greater equality, a strong currency AND a better safetynet for the socially excluded I guess?

Remind me what the point of "power" or a strong economy is again?
  • Reply 44 of 44
    That's probably a matter of distinction between "quality of life", rather than "power".