Rumor: Apple partner Pegatron begins next-gen iPhone production

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron has started production of the next-generation iPhone, according to a new report

The fresh reports, coming from the sometimes-reliable DigiTimes, claim that Pegatron's Shanghai factory has ramped up production of Apple's newest handset and echo similar assertions made recently by Japanese Apple blog MacOtakara.

While the validity of the statement cannot be verified, the new rumor jibes with the September to October timeline analysts have pegged as probable launch window for the new device.

According to "industry sources" in Taiwan, Pegatron is expecting orders for the sixth-generation iPhone to make up for an anticipated decline in ODM laptop shipments in the third quarter. The publication goes on to say the Chinese electronics manufacturer has also become the second OEM maker of "a new version of iPad" which will see shipments of a "few million" units in the third quarter.

iPhone
Purported photo of next-gen iPhone. | Source: MacOtakara

Apple is expected to follow its current yearly iPhone product cycle to release a revamped version of the device this fall, one year after the iPhone 4S debuted in October of 2011.

Purported leaks of the upcoming device depict a handset sporting a refreshed aluminum "uni-body" design that is larger than the current iPhone to accommodate a rumored 4-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    LOL, Digitimes.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Digitimes is like the herpes of high-tech media. So foul.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    LOL, Digitimes.
    Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Good ol', GIGO. Not to be confused with Data In, Data Out which is DIDO which is a singer.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    And Dido is actually talented.

Can't say the same about Digitimes...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And Dido is actually talented.
    Can't say the same about Digitimes...

Yes, unfortunately the Dido is endangered as there is only one in existence. She's a flightless bird but has been known to fly commercially.

(Apparently being up for 24 hours is getting to me)
  • Reply 5 of 26
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    STOP THE PRESSES! According to a new report, Foxconn workers have been given a new hat. Our investigative reporter goes behind the scenes to expose this mysterious new development...
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Apple is never going to amount to anything if they blow all that cash making a bunch of phones nobody might want. Look at Microsoft, they let the market get a good look at the product (like win 8, courier, and surface) before they pay good money to make some for sale.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    sr2012 wrote: »
    STOP THE PRESSES! According to a new report, Foxconn workers have been given a new hat. Our investigative reporter goes behind the scenes to expose this mysterious new development...
    No, no.

That would actually require a professional journalistic methodology. And true journalism died in the Nineties.

However, your joke was worth a chuckle. Well played.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron has started production of the next-generation iPhone, according to a new report

[...][ While the validity of the statement cannot be verified, the new rumor jibes with the September to October timeline analysts have pegged as probable launch window for the new device. [...] The publication goes on to say the Chinese electronics manufacturer has also become the second OEM maker of "a new version of iPad" which will see shipments of a "few million" units in the third quarter.

Each year's iPhone always gets at least a month in the spotlight on Apple's home page and the media in general.   Each year's iPad does too.  And I'd say that a brand-new iPad mini would also deserve a month in the spotlight.  So if Apple really is planning to release an iPad mini this year, it will likely be released at least a month away from the iPhone (6th gen) launch.

It doesn't matter what DigiTimes says.  If there really is an iPad mini in the pipeline for 2012, it needs to be released in September or October.  The new iPhone will need to be released in whichever of those two months isn't "iPad mini month."  And November would be too late for either of those products to be in full production for the crucial holiday shopping season.

By the way, this realistically leaves close to zero time for an Apple television announcement this year.  A huge product announcement like that would have to be done much earlier in the year, to build mindshare for many months before the holidays.  And the announcement could come many months before availability.  The way the original iPhone was announced in January and shipped in June.  There really isn't a product in Apple's portfolio that could get "Osborned" by an early announcement, and the announcement could slow down sales of competing smart TVs.

• Reply 9 of 26
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    I think people's expectations for the next iPhone are too big. There is only so much you can do on a phone.
    Doesn't matter if it gets quicker fancier screen etc. you are still at the mercy of software.
    For me Apple should concentrate on call quality and software.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes, unfortunately the Dido is endangered as there is only one in existence. She's a flightless bird but has been known to fly commercially.

(Apparently being up for 24 hours is getting to me)

Benny Hill as country singer "Dickie Dido" duets with Eira Heath on "Golden Days", in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsonINa5hk

Cheers

• Reply 11 of 26
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

It is funny how the center metallic part of the back panel resembles the size of an ideal screen at front.

It seems like it is going to be asymmetrical though with the screen significantly smaller due to archaic Home button at the bottom and centered camera at the top.

• Reply 12 of 26
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    jimbo123 wrote: »
    I think people's expectations for the next iPhone are too big. There is only so much you can do on a phone.
    Doesn't matter if it gets quicker fancier screen etc. you are still at the mercy of software.
    For me Apple should concentrate on call quality and software.

Call quality is fine outside the US :) OH FFS THIS FORUM THING STILL WONT MAKE A SMILEY FACE
  • Reply 13 of 26
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Too late Apple, Samsung Galaxy 3 looks to have taken over. Apple would need to do better than just make the ugly shaped iPhone 4s longer. It's going to look shizenhausen. Who is responsible for the ugly block shape of the current iPhone? I still use and prefer the shape of the iPhone 3GS. Great shape they should have stuck with, just thinner and a bit wider/longer.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    ray bart wrote: »
    Too late Apple, Samsung Galaxy 3 looks to have taken over. Apple would need to do better than just make the ugly shaped iPhone 4s longer. It's going to look shizenhausen. Who is responsible for the ugly block shape of the current iPhone? I still use and prefer the shape of the iPhone 3GS. Great shape they should have stuck with, just thinner and a bit wider/longer.

4/4s has about a 45% market share. What were/are they all thinking? Getting that 'ugly' phone. /s

To each is own, but IMO the 4s is a classic design... For its size. Will it translate well to a larger size? I'm not sure and have my doubts. I thought as you did once, but the 4s grew on me, it's design is great. Try it, change is good.

However, IMO the point is taken regarding larger phones, it does appear that 4.5 inch phones do have a market segment that Apple appears is leaving behind(one hand operation or not, consumers are buying it). The GIII is a great looking phone and is some tough competition. I'm not convinced a 4 inch iphone will solve that... Presuming the rumors are true. Time will tell.

BTW, according to my version of Apple Insider, it is Tuesday! Skipping Monday... Was Monday that bad?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

I got the 4 because it at last looked good in my opinion. 3GS and Galaxy 3 look like Playskool to me, I'd almost expect them to run Windows XP... but to each their own taste, just don't assume what you feel is ugly also feels ugly to others.

• Reply 16 of 26
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Everyday i am praying it looks nothing like those pictures.  IT IS UGLY!

• Reply 17 of 26

According to my screen this story was posted on Tuesday 24th July.

It's Monday pretty much everywhere in the world right now (as it's midday in London) so I'm impressed that we're receiving rumours from the future!

Anyone care to speculate about tomorrow's Euro Lottery numbers?! image

EDIT: Seems fixed now. Shame. I thought time travel might finally have happened ;)

• Reply 18 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

Apple is never going to amount to anything if they blow all that cash making a bunch of phones nobody might want. Look at Microsoft, they let the market get a good look at the product (like win 8, courier, and surface) before they pay good money to make some for sale.

I take it this is your first time encountering an Apple product in any context.

• Reply 19 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

LOL, Digitimes.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Not herpes, gonorrhea, or crabs. 

• Reply 20 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ray bart wrote: »

That 'ugly block shape' looks pretty good to me, plus it feels good, and the tactile experience is just as important as the visual. But these things are matters of taste.

What's not a matter of taste is how the shape works when you handle it as a camera. The 90-degree, sharp edges give you all sorts of stable positions and attachment points that you can't get with curved and contoured. The 4S is meant to feel like a precision instrument, and it just about is one.