? about Belgian law

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2754877.stm"; target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2754877.stm</a>;

Can anyone provide further elaboration on the law(s) referenced in this article?

I find it very confusing. It seems a cursory reading here that Belgium has a law which declares legal domain over non-Belgians acting against other non-Belgians outside of Belgium which makes this as a Belgian crime and/or civil offense. Is this actually the case?

Muchos Gracias in advance for any info that anyone can provide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The suit was brought under Belgium's 1993 "universal jurisdiction" law, which allows for the prosecution of alleged war crimes no matter where they took place.

Eh... whassatnow?

Yes, please, let's have a bit of clarification for those with the knowledge.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    More anti-Semitic nonsense from Europe.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    AFAIK the 20 palestinians are currently in Belgium and it is on behalf of then the charges are declared.

More european states tried to do the same when Pinochet was here but in the end too much political pressure (IMIO) made them fold in. Pretty shameful. That naughty boy needed a good whipping if you ask me.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    So basically if you can get to Belgium than under Belgian law you can pursue a case which has nothing really to do with Belgium? The refugees may be in Belgium now but that hardly seems like just cause for it to fall under the umbrella of Belgian law.

This seems at first blush like a strong unilateral power grab to me. They are trying all sorts of people, who may very well indeed be thugs, under a national rather than internation law for things which had nothing to do with Belgium or Belgians. Would not the proper forum for such things be through a war crimes tribunal set up under international law or UN sanction?

I wonder if Bush will indicted after the Iraq war assuming some refugees make it to Belgium and they or the authorities pursue it. That would be a hoot.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Shocking! :eek:
  • Reply 6 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    <a href="http://zapatopi.net/belgium.html"; target="_blank">Huh, You guys still believe in Belgium?</a>

How about the easter bunny and Santy Clause?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    der Kopf:

I notice you're posting. Would you mind clearing up a bit of Belgian law practice for us Americans? We're not really grasping what's going on.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    It's the same type of law that allowed Israel to abduct and try Nazi war criminals in Israel for crimes committed in Europe. Similar laws exist in Spain and Britain.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>More anti-Semitic nonsense from Europe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yawn.

(Oh, that felt good.)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah:

<strong>

Yawn.

(Oh, that felt good.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea anti-Semitism is boring.
  • Reply 11 of 12

<strong>

Yea anti-Semitism is boring.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. Xenophobia and double standards from a pig-ignorant stay-at-home spuriously justified with accusations of anti-semitism: that's boring.
  • Reply 12 of 12

<strong>More anti-Semitic nonsense from Europe.</strong><hr></blockquote>More of the by now predictable (non-)contributions by one named Scott. I can't even be bothered to yaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhwn. Oh dear, couldn't stop myself there.

- T.I.