iOS 6 beta no longer requires Apple ID password for free apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

This is horrible for parents with children who want to download every single free app. Corrected that for you. image

Not to mention that some of those apps might be games etc that are not age appropriate or not something that a particular parents feels is appropriate for their kid. Like my mom won't let my little sister who is 11 have the CW player app on her iPad cause that would give her access to shows like Vampire Diaries and Nikita that Mom doesn't feel are okay for her to watch. If Annie can hit install without a password she's likely to do it cause she's in that Tween rebel stage and all her friends watch such shows. (She also isn't allowed to have Facebook or twitter accounts, etc). 

Thus why I say I hope this is a choice not just a removal. At least in terms of Restrictions

• Reply 22 of 50
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Relying on restrictions is a mistake.  I despise the way Apple handles restrictions.  It is my biggest gripe of the iPad and pisses me off when I think about it.  I don't think they needs a complex profile/multi-user system, but simply a way to temporarily turn restrictions on and off without losing the settings.  If Apple had any real concern for the parents protecting kids from inappropriate content or poor decisions, they would make enabling/disabling restrictions more convenient.  I am not asking for much here.  Even if they simply had the iPad remember my previous restrictions when I turn them off, THAT would be a 100% improvement from what is there now.  Having it forget your restrictions when you turn them off is a feature, not a oversight.  I am 110% convinced this is purposely done to make restrictions inconvenient and time consuming so parents run out and buy a second iPad for their kids.  If wi-fi or Bluetooth worked the way restrictions work, people would pitch a fit because the iPad would forget all remembered wi-fi networks or all paired devices when those features were disabled.  People would find that unacceptable and Apple would have to change it.  But since restrictions are rarely used by the majority of consumers, that is EXACTLY how they behave and Apple gets away with it.  It is completely and utterly INSANE and is really got me wondering if I would buy an iPad if I had to do it over again.  I certainly warn parents about it.

Don't get me wrong.  I am very happy with my iPad overall, but I feel pretty passionately that Apple is trying to make extra money off of protective and concerned parents, and I find that pretty offensive.  

• Reply 23 of 50
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Quote:

This is horrible for parents with children who want to download every single free app. Corrected that for you. image

Apple could introduce the idea of sub-accounts on the iOS, allowing control and disk usage.  Although Apple solves this by selling it to each member of the family, some households actually "share" the iPad.  "64Gb isn't always enough for everyone"..

• Reply 24 of 50

Quote:

Excellent observation. Hopefully, parents will be able to ensure a password opt-in for this important function.

• Reply 25 of 50
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Actually what would be cool is a "guest" account.  "Sure you can borrow my iDevice to browse the web or call your friend."  But we can't currently do that without giving access to everything.

• Reply 26 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

It should be a choice whether to update or not. There are reason someone might not want to update. Maybe they have a multiple idevices and one of the devices is running older iOS version (4.2) and the app only supports newer iOS version (4.3). Maybe a new version of the app takes up much more space due to retina graphics and they do not have a retina display so no update.

And Android provides that choice. Apple should do the same.

• Reply 27 of 50
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member

bascically, this removal of password for free apps will bring more people to use apps. Many people don't have Apple ID and they are reluctant to create one just for free apps. Now there is no requirement for Apple ID to get free apps.

• Reply 28 of 50

Good news, as small a step as it is to type in a password, it's tedious, especially with how frequent apps are updated.

I also hope they have fixed an annoyance when you are updating a batch of apps and one of them is 17+ and it freezes the downloads after 30 seconds until you realize it is asking to confirm. It would be nice if you could set a one time setting to always allow the installation of 'mature' apps rather than manually confirming them every single time.

• Reply 29 of 50
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Apple could introduce the idea of sub-accounts on the iOS, allowing control and disk usage.  Although Apple solves this by selling it to each member of the family, some households actually "share" the iPad.  "64Gb isn't always enough for everyone"..

I've about given up on the idea of sub-accounts.  I guess Apple considers it too "complex" or something.  I can see where having data for each sub-account separate could make syncing and storage management more complicated.  Perhaps having profiles maintained at the app level is the better option.  

That said, something needs to be done to make restrictions flexible.  Right now, unless every person who uses the iPad is willing to put up with the restrictions, the current implementation is pointless.  As soon as you disable them, the device forgets what they were.

A guest account (mentioned before) might be the answer.  I would see this to be something that could be enabled or disabled.  When enabled, you could bypass the lock screen code by clicking "Use as Guest" or something similar.  Restrictions would be applied to the guest account but would be disabled when entering the lock code.  No data would be separate .  The only thing that would be whether restrictions are enabled or not.  If you wanted data protected you would have to add a restriction to the app.  This would probably require one additional setting to specify whether newly installed apps default to allowed or restricted.

• Reply 30 of 50
    jackzigjackzig Posts: 20member

That's a good idea!

• Reply 31 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chudq View Post

Many people don't have Apple ID… 

That's not right.

• Reply 32 of 50
    jcostomjcostom Posts: 8member

As long as there's a corresponding parental control to restore the old "authenticate for any app" policy, I'll be happy.

My son wants a new app every 5 minutes, and I'm not having that.

• Reply 33 of 50
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Auto update would be a bad idea. A few times I have checked the feedback to find that the new update doesn't boot for many users so I skip it.

Same goes for any updates after a company has sold out to Zynga as they ruin everything.

I also think that there should be 3 sections in the app store, paid for, free but with in app purchasing and properly free.

Personally I think that IAP is making games makers greedy.

Agreed! I like to decide for myself if updating an App is needed...

• Reply 34 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    moxom wrote: »
    Agreed! I like to decide for myself if updating an App is needed...

I can see why a power user would want that option, and assume that if such a feature was added that it would be option, but I can't recall in 4+ years of iPhone App Store use of ever seeing an update and deciding not to update it. It's just something I do and something I also hate doing because of the number of steps involved in initiating it in iTunes and then choosing to sync to my iDevices. For those reasons I'd love to have this feature.
  • Reply 35 of 50

See, this is what I'm talking about....Apple is constantly updating and improving hardware and software....incremental improvements along with the occasional inventive product! :) Most companies don't do this unless their "forced" to do it by the competition!

Apple does it because it's in their DNA. Just look at the way they had control of the iPod market (~75%) and all the new models they came out with over and over again.

Steve-o said, "in tech the only way to survive is to be 10 years ahead of the competition."  Everyone else is just trying to make the "cheapest" crap products possible! :)  

• Reply 36 of 50
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

We've already had this for a year.  Try to keep up. 

Really?

According to this article (and this one, and this one) it's still impossible to auto-update apps.

• Reply 37 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Agree 100%, this would be OK if it were configurable, but I could only imagine how many apps I'd have on my phone if my daughter could just randomly download any free games out there (and that most free games are just a shill IMO for in-app purchasing anyway).

Plus, as it stands today, the apps installed on my iPhone automatically show up on my iPad (though I do know this is configurable).

• Reply 38 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What if an app you download does the paid/free split with previously free downloaders getting the paid version for free via the update?

I've had that happen before, and that was the right way to do it. If you don't tie the free downloads to the Apple ID, there won't be a way to determine you've downloaded the free version in the past.

I suspect that the free download is still tied to your Apple ID. Not having to provide a password each time shouldn't change that. I'm assuming you have to be logged in to the store (with your Apple ID) in order to download anything at all, but I frankly haven't tried it yet on iOS 6.

• Reply 39 of 50
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgibson1 View Post

You can do this with the iCloud service.

Type your Username/Password into iTunes, your iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone and when you download something from the iTunes Music Store, Book Store or App Store it will download on each device automatically.

Actually, you need to enable Automatic Downloads.

On iDevices, Settings > Store.

On the computer, iTunes prefs > Store.

• Reply 40 of 50

Liking what I'm reading. The idea of not having to type your Apple ID for free purchases is a cool one, and is in keeping with making it simple for iphone, ipod touch and ipad users. Of course the safe guards already mentioned will help ensure we keep our peace of mind.

What about automatic updates, for those Apps which are just listed as bug fixes and don't contain new features as such?

Interested in more take a peak...

tiny.cc/SimplyApple