Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    coolguycoolguy Posts: 5member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Apple did extensive testing and found 3.5 to be the ideal size. Just because the industry has moved to bigger screens does not mean the average human hands has gotten bigger. The 3.5 screen is still the ideal size.  Hopefully Apple does not adhere to social pressure and keeps using the 3.5 screen.  Move the buttons around a tad and use a different connector and people will still buy it.

so the millions of users who are using screens above 4 inch are all wrong and dont know how to use it, only apple knows whats right and whats wrong for us?

• Reply 62 of 112
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

I'm guessing the pent up demand is due to the fact the rest of the world upgraded to 4G and larger screens 2 years ago?

• Reply 63 of 112
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy View Post

so the millions of users who are using screens above 4 inch are all wrong and dont know how to use it, only apple knows whats right and whats wrong for us?

Apple tends to sell to the majority of the people. Currently their 3.5" has sold 100's of million and the size has stayed since day 1 for 5 years.

• Reply 64 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I'm guessing the pent up demand is due to the fact the rest of the world upgraded to 4G and larger screens 2 years ago?

Yeah, and look how well that worked for the experience of using the devices. ~They obviously made the right decision.~

Ah, ooh… see, Solipsism? It looks sort of like you're setting it off, you know? Putting more emphasis on that part of the post instead of outing it as sarcasm. I don't think this will work.

• Reply 65 of 112
    Well my crappy plastic Galaxy 2 is great, with its larger screen and customization options.
    Are you sheep using your iPhone to hammer nails? Most iPhones I see have cases anyway, which makes materials and "form factor" irrelevant.

As for this survey, you'd have to be a fool to not show interest in a phone that is promised to be bigger/faster/superior in every aspect for the same price.
    This says nothing about the phone but a lot about how sheeple will drool over rumors of a shiny new product with the right logo.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that you have absolutely no clue what the 6th iPhone looks like in any capacity.

Bingo.

And that's just because it didn't exist.

Exactly! I don't understand why people say they "hate" the design we've been seeing, since they loved the iPhone 4 design.

Given the amount of leaks there have been of the iPhone 5, then assuming there's no last minute change of design, we know exactly what it will look like.

As for the death grip, well maybe you have magic hands as I can death grip my iPhone 4 with ease. As soon as I bridge the death spot in the bottom left hand corner (or in other words, when I pick up the phone) I drop the bars to 1 or 0 within 30 seconds. It's very easy to do, I'm sure you'll find many videos on YouTube with tutorials.

I always found the iPhone 4/4s/5 design to be stylish and well built, but not very comfortable to hold. The old 3G was a more more ergonomic design. Both suffered from the same pokey little screen size though. .
  • Reply 67 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Given the amount of leaks there have been of the iPhone 5… 

You're doing that on purpose. It only serves to hurt you.

Quote:

…then assuming there's no last minute change of design, we know exactly what it will look like.

Because we certainly knew what the 5th iPhone looked like last year. Thanks to all the leaks, you know? It's surprising how curvy, thin, and teardrop-shaped the iPhone 4S was, isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

…you'd have to be a fool to not show interest in a phone that is promised to be bigger…

Unless you don't want a bigger phone.

• Reply 68 of 112
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    just_me wrote: »
    Apple did extensive testing and found 3.5 to be the ideal size. Just because the industry has moved to bigger screens does not mean the average human hands has gotten bigger. The 3.5 screen is still the ideal size.  Hopefully Apple does not adhere to social pressure and keeps using the 3.5 screen.  Move the buttons around a tad and use a different connector and people will still buy it.

If that were true then android phones with larger screens would be niche devices. Instead they're top sellers.

I would suggest that people buy iPhones despite the small screen size. They may well already be invested in the eco system, have a Mac, like iOS, rely on ios specific features or apps, or just want the apple logo as a fashion statement. Of course we may never know for sure, as apple seem, incapable or unwilling to ever give iPhone users a choice of screen size. Perhaps if the iPad mini sells, - a device which interestingly apple said they would never make - then it may finally convince them that people actually quite like choice. But then again, that may just be wishful thinking
  • Reply 69 of 112
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

I will probably change my iPhone 4 but only if iPhone 5 has NFC, LTE compatible with Europe, and... something else totally unexpected, something revolutionary!

• Reply 70 of 112
    coolguycoolguy Posts: 5member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Apple tends to sell to the majority of the people. Currently their 3.5" has sold 100's of million and the size has stayed since day 1 for 5 year

when nokia was dominating the market it was selling the whole world phone that r smaller than 3.5, now nobody buy these phones.

• Reply 71 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The entire article is ridiculous. It assumes that people will buy a phone with no details, nothing to go on other than "there's a new iPhone coming".

Now, some people are so happy with the iPhones that they've bought that they will buy another one when their contract expires. So maybe the higher numbers are due to the fact that there are more iPhone contracts ready to expire than there were 2 years ago (or even last year). Without knowing what a new iPhone will look like or its characteristics, the survey is otherwise meaningless.
  • Reply 72 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy View Post

when nokia was dominating the market it was selling the whole world phone that r smaller than 3.5, now nobody buy these phones.

That's not a very good comparison.

• Reply 73 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless you don't want a bigger phone.

Not to mention some crappy OS.....

• Reply 74 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think of it as an art student trying to paint something of his master's that he only saw through a centuries'-old stained glass window.

• Reply 75 of 112
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    just_me wrote: »

That is what a call failling to adapt. 3x2 inch is a ideal size when used like a phone indeed, but the problem is more and more people want something that is also good for internet browsing and apps, so they want a bigger screen. If that means having to dial with with 2 hands then its not a big tradeoff, especially with the voice commands performing better.

That being said, i am not a big fan of very wide phones because the grip is horrible. 16x9 ratio with 2.2 to 2.5 inch wide screen would be perfect imo.
  • Reply 76 of 112

Oh stop lying it's not "Slow" you just want a new toy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Well I'll be definitley getting one as my iPhone 4 is now out of contract and getting a bit long in the tooth (not slow as such, but noticably slower than my iPad 3 for some things I do a lot) so I'm waiting (im)patiently for the new one to arrive so I can upgrade... Just need to see pricing and capacity options to work out exactly which one I'll go for.

The iPhone 4 will probably be going to my mum... 

• Reply 77 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That's easy math. Folks hate the alleged current design because it is the iPhone 4 design. 

see some folks feel that it is a sacrosanct law of the universe that things like phones, tablets, software etc must get a complete overhaul of features and UI every couple of years or it magically turns into decrepit, outdated, unusable crap and the creators are morons that are out of ideas etc. 

So they see this design that looks just like before and it justifies their belief that Steve Jobs was Apple and everyone left behind are idiots that couldn't design a sheet of paper. Which is why they are doing the same dumb thing as the years before. Total Fail etc

Funny how Apple always gets dinged for being all about form over function but then when their form doesn't change people b*tch that they're being stagnant and not innovating.  Clearly with Apple it's not all about veneer (as some would suggest) otherwise they'd be re-designing their stuff on a regular basis.

• Reply 78 of 112

I'm a phandroid, own all android stuff, and I want the iphone 5. Assuming it has the 4" screen. How's that for irony?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is that 'ironic'?

• Reply 79 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

iOS may look spiffy on the outside, but it has a lot of problems in both concept and execution underneath the surface that should never have been there in the first place.

• Reply 80 of 112

ACTUALLY

If you look at how android apps are developed vs how iOS apps are developed, ios app development is a lot more intuitive and organized. Android app development is annoying, counter-intuitive, and just all over the place. Android has to be counter intuitive because they have to support a bajillion types of hardware. So not only do you have java and XML which are natively slow to begin with you put that on top of a virtual machine and now you want to scroll more icons. Then you wonder why android is slow. It's slow because the coding is a just all over the place. It's like making pancakes and when you're done you've used every piece of hardware in your kitchen to make it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR View Post

iOS may look spiffy on the outside, but it has a lot of problems in both concept and execution underneath the surface that should never have been there in the first place.