Google acquires Apple-oriented email client Sparrow ahead of iPad app release

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Google Chrome, Mail, Docs and Sites are crap?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

• Reply 82 of 95
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes and yes.

That statement just proves you are a troll.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

That statement just proves you are a troll.

No, no, no and no.

The reason those things you mentioned are crap is that they are bait to get information to sell to advertisers, I rate them about the same level of crap as infomercials.

• Reply 84 of 95
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Those products are free to use. Advertising is expected.

By all means, install a simple ad-blocker if you want to eat both cakes.

• Reply 85 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Those products are free to use. Advertising is expected.

No, not in the slightest.

Quote:

By all means, install a simple ad-blocker if you want to eat both cakes.

By all means, if you think any ad blocker has any power to stop what we're taking about… 

• Reply 86 of 95
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Although, clearly Google bought them as a, "FU Apple users," move.

Evidence?

Why is it not possible that they bought the company because they like what they do and want that talent to improve their own native GMail clients?

• Reply 87 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't like Google being able to buy out all of their competition. I don't want one company to have everything. Google should just make their chat client the best one out there instead of trying to buy their growth.

And Apple isn't doing the same thing?

Siri probably would have had an Android app had they stayed independent.  Apple bought them.  Locked out hardware that the old app used to work on.  And rolled into the OS without making significant improvements at all (other than some basic UI alignments).

On the other hand, the Sparrow team may just end up having a significant impact on GMail.  Just look at what Google let Matias Duarte do to Android after he came onboard from Palm/WebOS.  They know they are lacking in design chops.  And they are actively pursuing design talent.  This is good for their users.

• Reply 88 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, no, no and no.

The reason those things you mentioned are crap is that they are bait to get information to sell to advertisers, I rate them about the same level of crap as infomercials.

Oh nooooosss....One nut with a tinfoil hat on, doesn't think GMail is successful.

The fact that hundreds of millions of people use GMail, maps, search, etc. tells me that at least some of Google's products are quite succesful.  User bait or not.   Or do you only not define success by how many people use a product when it's not from Apple?

And the whole advertiser schtick is getting old.  MS does advertising in Bing.  Apple does it in iAds.  And Apple does it after charging exorbitant prices for their hardware.  At least Android wares are cheap.  So there's some justification for Google selling ads.  What's Apple's excuse for milking their customers after already having made industry leading profits off them?  I would not be surprised if I start seeing ads on my iTunes purchases on my Apple TV some day....

In any event, show me a real alternative.  If you think there are enough nutcases  out there to justify a business case, why is there no subscription based ad-free search engine that's even marginally popular?  It seems to me that the tinfoil crowd is too cheap to actually back up their paranoia with real money. 

• Reply 89 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

F*ck Google. They just killed my favorite email client :(

They didn't kill anything.

The app still works for you, does it not?

• Reply 90 of 95
    jetz wrote: »
    Oh nooooosss....One nut with a tinfoil hat on, doesn't think GMail is successful.

The fact that hundreds of millions of people use GMail, maps, search, etc. tells me that at least some of Google's products are quite succesful.  User bait or not.   Or do you only not define success by how many people use a product when it's not from Apple?

And the whole advertiser schtick is getting old.  MS does advertising in Bing.  Apple does it in iAds.  And Apple does it after charging exorbitant prices for their hardware.  At least Android wares are cheap.  So there's some justification for Google selling ads.  What's Apple's excuse for milking their customers after already having made industry leading profits off them?  I would not be surprised if I start seeing ads on my iTunes purchases on my Apple TV some day....

In any event, show me a real alternative.  If you think there are enough nutcases  out there to justify a business case, why is there no subscription based ad-free search engine that's even marginally popular?  It seems to me that the tinfoil crowd is too cheap to actually back up their paranoia with real money. 

Exactly...the hatred shown for anything non Apple here is childish and pathetic. Chrome is the most used browser in the world and Gmail is extremely popular but in here they are just "crap" because Apple doesnt make them.

On no but wait for it....Google will steal your information.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    jetz wrote: »
    They didn't kill anything.

The app still works for you, does it not?

Yeah it's not like Siri that was an app that could be used on the iPhone 4 UNTIL Apple bought it....
  • Reply 92 of 95

Quote:

Chrome is the most used browser in the world…

Uh, no.

• Reply 94 of 95

Quote:

Uh, yes http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Come off it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by your link, for heaven's sake

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is a more popular browser.

• Reply 95 of 95
    Come off it.

Ok fair enough, here is another one http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Second place but still very close and for a browser that has only been around for a couple years I would say that pretty good. Also note that the IE figures are made up of several versions.