Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

That is what a call failling to adapt. 3x2 inch is a ideal size when used like a phone indeed, but the problem is more and more people want something that is also good for internet browsing and apps, so they want a bigger screen. If that means having to dial with with 2 hands then its not a big tradeoff, especially with the voice commands performing better.

That being said, i am not a big fan of very wide phones because the grip is horrible. 16x9 ratio with 2.2 to 2.5 inch wide screen would be perfect imo.

I don't agree, but that is why companies should offer a mix of products to suit the needs of their customers.

• Reply 82 of 112
    This is absolutely right!
    I first considered the G2 because the larger screen size is easier for me to use.
    The other features are a plus and why I've switched from iPhone.
    Had the iPhone had a larger screen I may not have switched and always wondered what was on the other side. How can you truly say IOS is best if you haven't tried both outside the store?
  • Reply 83 of 112
    ... And you know Android is a crappy OS how? Because it doesn't have an Apple logo?
    I've tried both. My current phone is G2. Better than iOS any day of the week in my opinion.
  • Reply 84 of 112
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The tech sites kee shoving Galaxy S III estimated sales in our face. I can't wait for the new iPhone to come out and put those sales figures to shame.

Got to remember though those Galaxy s III sales are a "shipped" number from samsung who wont share sold figures.  Most of those are in channel inventory, not sold to end customers.   As opposed to Apples numbers that are actual "sold" to end consumers which Apple gladly publishes with each quarterly filing.  Until Samsung publishes actual numbers "sold" instead of "shipped"  what they say about any Samsung product is meaningless.

• Reply 85 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is absolutely right!
    I first considered the G2 because the larger screen size is easier for me to use.
    The other features are a plus and why I've switched from iPhone.
    Had the iPhone had a larger screen I may not have switched and always wondered what was on the other side. How can you truly say IOS is best if you haven't tried both outside the store?
    ... And you know Android is a crappy OS how? Because it doesn't have an Apple logo?
    I've tried both. My current phone is G2. Better than iOS any day of the week in my opinion.

I think you've posted here long enough to realize that you're not quoting the people you appear to be replying to.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

How can you truly say IOS is best if you haven't tried both outside the store?

I don't have to use both of these to know which one is actually worth using.

• Reply 87 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Funny how Apple always gets dinged for being all about form over function but then when their form doesn't change people b*tch that they're being stagnant and not innovating.  Clearly with Apple it's not all about veneer (as some would suggest) otherwise they'd be re-designing their stuff on a regular basis.

Exactly.

rbr wrote: »

iOS may look spiffy on the outside, but it has a lot of problems in both concept and execution underneath the surface that should never have been there in the first place.

Care to be specific? And while you're at it, why not explain why Android lags all over the place if it has such superior concept and execution?
  • Reply 88 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    aia wrote: »
    LOL! That's how it works in our household as well - my old 2g and the 3GS that I'm currently using were both hand-me-downs from my dear wife, though to be fair she did "downgrade" back to her old Nokia and let me use the 2G prior to getting the 3GS. She is currently on the 4 (not 4s). One of us will upgrade to the 5 when it comes out - if it's me then I think she will be content to stay with her 4 (assuming that the flaky home button can be fixed). If she wants the 5 then I will probably get a 4s for the better camera. Yes, the camera in the 4 is already a huge upgrade over my 3GS, however it does have some flaws that bug me (such as poor white balance and unnatural looking colours in some types of lighting conditions). These flaws do appear to be resolved in the 4s - if so, then it would totally replace the need to carry a compact camera.

That said, if APPL hits $1000 by the end of this year as I predicted, then both of us are getting 5's. :D

It might be the end of next year but it's coming !
  • Reply 89 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    paxman wrote: »
    This site totally sucks on an iPhone, too. Reading the comments is a matter of zooming in and scrolling left to right as you go. The site also seems to disable the Apple spell checker's ability to correct a mistake by right clicking.

I know, I have given up even trying to use an iPhone on AI. Seriously the people that own this site need their head examining to move to an engine that is iOS unfriendly. Many of the true Mac folks here are surely using iPads and iPhones when relaxing these days not their Macs as much as they used to. Why on earth would they not embrace iOS?
  • Reply 90 of 112
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR View Post

iOS may look spiffy on the outside, but it has a lot of problems in both concept and execution underneath the surface that should never have been there in the first place.

Huh?  Like what?  Is there something wrong with the Darwin UNIX, or what?

(I can't imagine that Darwin has stuff that shouldn't be there anymore than Linux does in the Android OS)

• Reply 91 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy View Post

so the millions of users who are using screens above 4 inch are all wrong and dont know how to use it, only apple knows whats right and whats wrong for us?

There are times that people don't like something that apple has done, but then after they try it for a while, they realize that Apple was right all along.

• Reply 92 of 112
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I've only had one experience with an android phone (Samsung), and it was such a piece of junk. The phone would make full volume alerts as you were talking on it. The touch screen was so sensitive that it would always mute your voice so the person on the other end couldn't hear you. It was a wannabe but neverwillbe iPhone. I like authentic gold, no pyrite for me, thank you.
  • Reply 93 of 112
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That's easy math. Folks hate the alleged current design because it is the iPhone 4 design. 

see some folks feel that it is a sacrosanct law of the universe that things like phones, tablets, software etc must get a complete overhaul of features and UI every couple of years or it magically turns into decrepit, outdated, unusable crap and the creators are morons that are out of ideas etc. 

So they see this design that looks just like before and it justifies their belief that Steve Jobs was Apple and everyone left behind are idiots that couldn't design a sheet of paper. Which is why they are doing the same dumb thing as the years before. Total Fail etc

That's not it at all. Some folks including me simply don't like the iPhone 4 design. I've never liked the iPhone 4 design. That's why I hope they change it. It's not simply change for changes sake as you seem to suggest.

• Reply 94 of 112

Well apple products revolutionized the mobile world and they are the most selling devices. But after the release of the smart phones, their demand has been reduced due to the unique features of the android. Samsung released many smart phones which comes with the new version of android but still waiting for the apple's next release. Hope it would be a successful piece.

• Reply 95 of 112
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    pragmatous wrote: »
    Oh stop lying it's not "Slow" you just want a new toy!

Busted :)

Although to be fair I did say it wasn't slow per se, its just slower than my iPad 3 with its dual core loveliness.
  • Reply 96 of 112
    I don't have to use both of these to know which one is actually worth using.

I see what you did there. Unfortunately, it's an irrelevant example to the topic being discussed, which majority would say applies to phones. How about at least addressing the editor error messages on iOS devices instead to stay on topic, especially as a moderator? Apparently it's a concern brought up many on this thread.
  • Reply 97 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

I see what you did there. Unfortunately, it's an irrelevant example to the topic being discussed…

No, it applies directly to the point to which I was replying. You're completely wrong.

• Reply 98 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly.

Care to be specific? And while you're at it, why not explain why Android lags all over the place if it has such superior concept and execution?

I made no claim about Android being superior in concept and execution. I am simply saying that if Apple turn out yet another small iPhone I will be inclined to try something else. I liked  the larger screen that much. There is also the matter of 4G. If the new iPhone is not 3G and has a small screen, it is a virtual certainty that I will not buy it.

As to iOS, I did 'ding' it. Just a few examples: It has huge memory leaks which degrade performance and require frequent restarts...sounds like an old PC, huh. The "native" apps, Safari, Mail, etc are actually part of the OS (an old Microsoft trick). If they experience a corruption, you get to perform a "direct firmware installation" which might better called a complete reinstallation, which brings up another fundamental shortcoming. If you have backed up through Safari and attempt to save your app organization (via a procedure Apple did not create and should have had from the get-go) the old (corrupt) app is reinstalled. You can not perform a individual reinstallation of the problematic app. I have not yet verified whether this is the case with iCloud or not.

On some occasions, the native apps have begun crashing continuously in the background which kills the battery very rapidly, which is your only clue that something untoward is occurring. (99.44% of the crashes I have experienced have been with the native apps...Mail and Safari).

Some things are the complete failure of the team to implement obvious features such as an integrated password manager (like Keychain). Dealing with passwords on the iPhone is a PITA even with 3rd party apps such as 1Password.

There are other problems, but I am not here to provide an exhaustive overview of iOS's shortcomings, but to respond to your inquiry which I have interpreted as "what sort of problems have you had with iOS". I have no extended experience with  any of the numerous Android flavors and so I can not, from my own personal experience, say that they are better, worse or about the same in terms of trouble. I can say that I am extremely disappointed that the iOS team has done what, in my opinion, is such a very poor job. With the experience of OS X the team should have done much better in concept as well as execution.

In case you are wondering why I find having to reorganize the installed apps to be such a nuisance, try getting a couple of hundred apps reorganized the way you want when you have to start over from scratch because a troublesome native app was not adequately tested and is a part of the OS rather than a separately installable application. The experience just might make you less than thrilled about the situation, especially when it happens a few times. I find it inexcusable that the iOS team failed to create a way to preserve the app organization when doing this or when transferring them to a new device...they do want you to buy the new models when they come out, don't they?

Apple also fails to provide adequate tools to the Apple Stores to adequately perform hardware diagnostics of the device which I also find inexcusable. The whole situation, it seems to me, is the result of a failure of leadership and thought about the user experience. User experience is supposed to be the hallmark of Apple products, isn't it?

I have had 4 iphones. Two I gave back when they failed to function in anything like an acceptable fashion and the Apple store was uninterested in doing anything. Another had the "known issue" home button/key failure which resulted in its replacement. (For once I felt like Apple "did the right thing".) The one I presently have is probably, but I don't actually know, experiencing iOS problems rather than hardware problems. Those are not very good odds in my view.

So there you have a little bit of my experience as background to explain why I am prepared to try something other than an iPhone if the new model is not "up to par". I hope that is an adequate explanation for you to understand my position.

Cheers.

• Reply 99 of 112
    No, it applies directly to the point to which I was replying. You're completely wrong.

I am afraid you are in denial. The person you were responding to made a valid point of using two different cellular phone platforms to gain objective experience in order to make a conclusive comparison. Instead, you illogically made a simplified argument by introducing music players into the discussion based on your personal brand awareness and hopeful consumer perception of the same, rather than sound facts, while patronizing him and other readers at the same time.

Feel free to broaden your explanations with supporting arguments instead of avoiding a healthy discussion, such as the topic you selectively keep avoiding of numerous complaints on this website's compitability with iOS devices by being more concerned about being defensive than being objective.
  • Reply 100 of 112

Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

The person you were responding to made a valid point of using two different cellular phone platforms to gain objective experience in order to make a conclusive comparison.

Yep.

Instead, you illogically made a simplified argument by introducing music players into the discussion…

In no way was it illogical. It is merely another example. If your complaint is that I didn't post a picture of an iOS device and an Android device, I'll gladly do that to stop the pedantry.

…based on your personal brand awareness and hopeful consumer perception of the same, rather than sound facts…

I'm ignoring the fact that "brand awareness" has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this argument and asking if you personally think the knockoff product would be in any way comparable to the real thing.

…such as the topic you selectively keep avoiding of numerous complaints on this website's computability with iOS devices… 

What topic I keep "avoiding"? The topic that is off-topic in all threads save those dedicated specifically to complaining about Huddler? That topic? The one that I've never tried to cover up and have actually helped users to ameliorate?

Your point has failed. Instead of losing graciously or providing extra evidence that you can't judge a knockoff by its' cover, you're going every which where in an attempt to cloud the entire discussion. Stop.