Martin Scorsese featured in new iPhone 4S ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple continues to tap celebrities to show off the iPhone 4S-exclusive Siri voice assistant with a new TV commercial starring director Martin Scorsese.

The newly-released ad featuring Scorsese captures the famous director's personality as he uses Siri to plan out his day while riding in the back of a New York City taxi cab.

As MacRumors reported, the new Apple commercial is the fourth installment in a series of Siri-centric spots that feature prominent American pop-culture icons, and follows similar ads starring Samuel L. Jackson, John Malkovich and Zooey Deschanel.

Just like the other celebrity Siri ads, Scorsese's plays to the director's perceived public persona: a fast-paced, high-energy hollywood type that's forever on the go. A particularly humorous section of the clip highlights the location abilities of iOS 5 when Scorsese thinks he sees an acquaintance named "Rick" in a car next to his and asks Siri "where's Rick?" Ricks position in manhattan is displayed and Scorsese replies, "nah, that's not Rick."

It appears that Apple is moving back to using high-profile talent to bring attention to their products after years of shying away from the practice. Before the recent TV ad campaign the last celebrity to be featured in an Apple commercial was singer Bono who was featured with his band U2 in a number of iPod spots.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Enjoy Marty's work but he might want to wait for the actual release version of Siri before commiting to it - Betas like the current version can often be problematic.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

These ads are all built well. 

They just need fewer people in them. The first Siri ads were wonderful; everyone was cut off at the nose. That says a lot.

• Reply 3 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple continues to tap celebrities to show off the iPhone 4S-exclusive Siri voice assistant ...

I wish they would stop with these gaudawful celebrity ads for Siri.  They are some of the poorest ads I've ever seen from Apple.  

This one is dull at best.  Who gives a crap about a washed up film director like Scorsese anyway?  

"Hugo" sucked.  Scosese is just too famous for anyone to be brave enough to tell him.   

If they want to use celebrities, how about using some real geniuses, people who have really accomplished something with their lives like Picasso, Einstein, Dylan, etc.

Oh, right ... there aren't any people like that anymore.  Just movie makers, pop stars, and actors.  

• Reply 4 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I wish they would stop with these gaudawful celebrity ads for Siri.  They are some of the poorest ads I've ever seen from Apple.  

This one is dull at best.  Who gives a crap about a washed up film director like Scorsese anyway?  
    "Hugo" sucked.  Scosese is just too famous for anyone to be brave enough to tell him.   

If they want to use celebrities, how about using some real geniuses, people who have really accomplished something with their lives like Picasso, Einstein, Dylan, etc.
    Oh, right ... there aren't any people like that anymore.  Just movie makers, pop stars, and actors.  

1) I liked the one with John Malkovich.

2) I much prefer the ads without famous people.

3) I don't think Scorsese is washed up.

4) I thought this ad was boring.

5) I thought Hugo was boring.

6) That kid from Hugo is playing Ender Wiggin in the 2013 Ender's Game film.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I liked the one with John Malkovich.

2) I much prefer the ads without famous people.

3) I don't think Scorsese is washed up.

4) I thought this ad was boring.

5) I thought Hugo was boring.

6) That kid from Hugo is playing Ender Wiggin in the 2013 Ender's Game film.

1) Don't think Malkovich has much talent either. 

2) Would love to see Ender's Game done right (fingers crossed).  

3) Apologies to Scorsese fans (and Malkovich I suppose)

• Reply 6 of 35
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Love it.

The first draft of the commercial:

(Language is NSFW)

• Reply 7 of 35
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Bin ich angenommen zu denken, dass dieses ist wirklich klug hinzufügen?  Alle wir wissen, dass SIRI nicht das tut.  Warten Sie, bis der IOS 6 herauskommt, wenn SIRI nicht dann wir sieht ein Beta ist, wie gutes SIRI sein kann.

• Reply 8 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Bin ich angenommen zu denken, dass dieses ist wirklich klug hinzufügen?  Alle wir wissen, dass SIRI nicht das tut.  Warten Sie, bis der IOS 6 herauskommt, wenn SIRI nicht dann wir sieht ein Beta ist, wie gutes SIRI sein kann.

If you can't bash Apple in English, go find a German forum on which to bash Apple.

• Reply 9 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Last I knew, Bob dylan was still alive.  But it is unlikely that either he or Stephen Hawking would stoop to shilling gadgets on TV.

• Reply 10 of 35
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Love it.

The first draft of the commercial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiHTm6nBUw  (Language is NSFW)

Yikes! I forgot about that scene. You can't deny he's a good actor as well as a director.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Last I knew, Bob dylan was still alive.  But it is unlikely that either he or Stephen Hawking would stoop to shilling gadgets on TV.

Bob Dylan appear on Pawn Star's - that's pretty "low" in stooping terms

Hawkings done commercials too: 

• Reply 12 of 35
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Bob Dylan appear on Pawn Star's - that's pretty "low" in stooping terms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZEp70Fie4

Hawkings done commercials too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9GLngXyw0

The founder of Apple used to advertise for Nissan.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Washed up director? You are such a tool. I hate the way every one on here thinks they know better than apple on marketing and if a commerical is good or not. If you were somebody you wouldn't be commenting on here.

These ads are extremely effective, people talk about Siri at my work all the time. So I don't think apple cares about what most of you nobody's think.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    s4boness4bones Posts: 22member

wow!

gotta love all the haters on the site =)

Why don't they make a commercial for the android version? Oh yeah, nobody cares.

lol!

Keep hatin!

• Reply 15 of 35
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member

But with Harrison Ford playing Graff and Sir Ben playing Mazer, I don't see how this movie can fail.  *knocks on wood*

Martin S. reminded me of George S. from Seinfeld I kept waiting for him to holler for Costanza 

• Reply 16 of 35
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member

Dylan has been in a apple commerical shilling gadgets.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    adamiigs wrote: »
    But with Harrison Ford playing Graff and Sir Ben playing Mazer, I don't see how this movie can fail.  *knocks on wood*

What I like most is that Card wouldn't budge on the story when selling it to the studios. They all wanted Ender to be a teenager with a love interest because that drives the date movie crowd. Usually he was told upfront that he wouldn't get his way and sometimes he was told exactly what he wanted to hear and was given contracts that said they would keep it all just the way he wanted but in some deep part of the contract with no association to the original statement it would negate that previous section.

I have trouble seeing how this story that takes place over about 8 years of a boy's life starting at around 6yo could be made into a single 2 hour movie with a single child actor but I'm glad that it seems to be coming together nicely. Another issue for making this into a film is just how much of the story is internal to Ender which means we won't know unless there is a voiceover, but I don't see that happening. I'm guessing the screenwriters will use the Bean character, mostly, to get those deeper aspects of the story across.

Luckily for fans of the books who want it made into a movie Hunger Games was such a box office smash. While different, there are plenty of parallels, like children fighting and screenwriters having to find a way to express all that internal thought from Katniss into a scene.

PS: I had always pictured Graff as looking more like Danny Glover.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

At 23 seconds you can see a Checker cab. Do those even exist? I hate this commercial, but I also think that the H.264 video tag is showing some seriously problematic characteristics in that it doesn't cache in the browser. I can watch this over and over an it still drops frames even though it should have been entirely downloaded. I have noticed this elsewhere for a long time but I thought I would mention it now,

• Reply 19 of 35
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

worst commercial so far

• Reply 20 of 35
    Without reading any other posts, I didn't like it at all!

Dictated on my iPad.