Rumor: Multiple reports point to redesigned iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A pair of reports on Tuesday claim Apple is revamping its iPod touch media player and will borrow components from both the upcoming next-gen iPhone and existing iDevices like the iPhone 4S.

Echoing analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's report earlier today, Japanese language Apple blog MacOtakara claims Apple is preparing a new iPod touch that will marry a larger display with updated internal components in a refreshed aluminum housing.

According to the site's sources, the fifth-generation iPod touch will boast a large 4-inch screen identical in size to the rumored next-gen iPhone, though it is unknown if the two devices will share the exact same part as such high-resolution displays are in short supply. While specifics concerning the screen's source are unclear, Kuo said in his report that the unit will likely use the same in-cell touchscreen LCD technology as Apple's upcoming handset.

The media player will also get a speed bump with Apple's proprietary A5 processor, the same silicon powering the current iPhone 4S.

Sources note that Apple will eschew the polished aluminum casing seen on all iPod touch models in favor of a "buffed aluminum" finish more akin to the company's MacBook line. As usual, the unit will be offered in black as well as the white design introduced to the line last year.

The purported device also sports a small hole on the back case opposite the rear-facing camera assembly but sources make no guesses as to the feature's use. This is similar to a hole found between the camera and LED flash on reportedly leaked pre-production next-gen iPhone case backs which later disappeared on more recent versions of the "uni-body" chassis.

iPod Rendering
Rendering of Apple's purported next-gen iPod touch. | Source: MacOtakara

While pricing and availability have yet to be nailed down, Kuo believes the new iPod touch could kick off a huge Apple product cycle at the beginning of September that will see the release of a smaller iPad, a tweaked full-sized iPad and a next-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Oh, wild speculation... where would we be without you?

• Reply 2 of 27

I want the iPod Classic to get the new touch interface and to be in line with the iOS, please!!

• Reply 3 of 27
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    All I hope is that the Nano gets Bluetooth for wireless headphones and such.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

iPod rumors on AI...  How nostalgic!    image

• Reply 5 of 27
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    blackbook wrote: »

I wonder if adding a basic phone is possible. No apps. Except music. Sell for 99.99. That would be interesting... A lot of people do not want full fledged smart phones, just a good phone with a good, portable contact list. Although many do want texting, which would be very difficult in that small form factor...Siri?....probably not. M'eh, I'm just brain farting out loud, it's late.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I hope the iPad in its most basic form never goes away.  It's a great way to have all your tunes in the car.  Just plug it in and forget about it!

• Reply 7 of 27
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    I wonder if adding a basic phone is possible. No apps. Except music. Sell for 99.99. That would be interesting... A lot of people do not want full fledged smart phones, just a good phone with a good, portable contact list. Although many do want texting, which would be very difficult in that small form factor...Siri?....probably not. M'eh, I'm just brain farting out loud, it's late.
    I've been an advocate for that for quite some time...

Anyway has anyone heard of the I'm Watch? There was an ad for one here a few days ago and it encapsulates a lot of the rumors/wishes for the iPod Nano.

http://www.imwatch.it/us-en

Its an Android Smart Watch. Anyway it'd be cool if Apple went that direction but I'll be content with Bluetooth plus a lower price.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Ok so the rendering doesn't show the LED flash.  Hmm.  Guess he forgot that.

• Reply 9 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

And here's the 7 inch New(er) iPad:

No, really!

I heard it from a friend of a friend who overheard a conversation by Digitimes...

• Reply 10 of 27
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    boeyc15 wrote: »

How about no basic phone and they actually make it bigger. You know, so people can use it?

The current iteration of the iPod is horrible. I've lost three in two weeks and went back to the old 'long' style. My old one. Maybe they want people to lose them so they can sell more.

While I agree that phones are getting huge, beyond portability for the average person, the IPod shrank too much!

Don't get me wrong but in my humble opinion Apple went too far, as far as size goes.

Now imagine you're at the gym on the treadmill, or stepper, or doing squats. You think "I want to change the song.". So it's clipped on your shirt right, because that's where you left it... Oh darn the screen's off... Oh, I have to hit the button to light the screen up. Whew! Got it! O.k. It's upside down. F@!k. O.k. I just hold and move........new song comes on. Oh, I like this one...

It's just a mess!

The current design is taking size to the limit it wasn't supposed to go. If you want to make an iOS watch, then make one. If you want to make an iPod, then stick with what works please!!!

There was a reason everyone liked the 'click wheel' wasn't there? Please... Anyone?......
  • Reply 11 of 27
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    gtr wrote: »

No, really!

I heard it from a friend of a friend who overheard a conversation by Digitimes...

Dude!

That would seriously be the best iPod ever! I'm not kidding. If they have to use iOS, then please make it big enough to use iOS.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    gtr wrote: »

No, really!

Looks like the yet to be announced iPhone Nano ;)
  • Reply 13 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Looks like the yet to be announced iPhone Nano image

Or maybe the Apple TV Panel remote control... ;-)

• Reply 14 of 27
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Agreed. Did you see how much that Pebble Watch raised on Kickstarter. I think an iPod Nano Smart Watch would really be a big seller, especially if you could link it to your iPhone.

• Reply 15 of 27

One mother of a bad render if I ever did see one. Was the Apple logo applied in MS Paint? image

• Reply 16 of 27
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    AI, how about changing the title; should be iPod Touch instead of just iPod - as you should know, there's four versions of the iPod.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe the 7" iPad will be released, and at the same time the iPod Touch renamed the iPad Nano, giving 3 iPads. The iPod name is a bit old now.

• Reply 18 of 27
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I want the iPod Classic to get the new touch interface and to be in line with the iOS, please!!

Keep dreaming that dream.  

• Reply 19 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, wild speculation... where would we be without you?

Commonsenseville.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I wonder if adding a basic phone is possible. No apps. Except music.

What's the point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

You realize it has been dead for four years?

• Reply 20 of 27
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

The sweet spot, in my opinion, would be even larger than 4 inches but still small enough to have a legitimately pocketable device. Do that and forget about the rumoured 7.85-inch iPad.

If Apple released such a device but kept the price to current levels, the threat from low end of the tablet market would be effectively addressed and we wouldn't have two similarly priced devices competing against each other for a segment of the market. Who knows, maybe this is where Apple is going to end up. After all, Apple has said nothing about what it intends to release. It has all been speculation from third parties claiming to have info from unidentified sources.