September launch pegged for Apple's 13" Retina MacBook Pro, new iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A Retina display-toting 13-inch MacBook Pro is expected to join the recently-released 15-inch model sometime this September and may be accompanied by an iMac refresh, writes analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in a note shared with AppleInsider.

Rounding out the KGI analyst's forecast for the second half of 2012, Kuo expects Apple to bring a Retina display-resolution display to its 13-inch MacBook Pro line in September though demand may outweigh supply as components for the high-pixel density display are limited.

The reports is in line with two previous findings, both from online computer benchmarking sites (1, 2), that pointed to an unknown MacBook Pro fitting the description of a 13-inch Retina display model.

Kuo believes the device will be an attractive option to consumers looking to purchase the existing 13-inch MacBook Pro or MacBook Air due to the Retina display's high-quality image reproduction. The analyst also claims customers will be drawn to the balance of power consumption and form factor as well as the unit's price which should be somewhat similar to Apple's non-Retina MacBook Pro.

While the laptop is expected to do well at launch, Kuo thinks sales growth won't be meaningful as many consumers will gravitate toward iOS devices, especially so if Apple debuts a smaller, more affordable iPad in September. He goes on to say supply of the smaller high-resolution MacBook Pro will likely be constrained due to panel and assembly yield rates, a problem Apple is only now beginning to overcome with the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

MacBook Pro

As for the iMac, Kuo believes a refreshed model could debut close to the end of September but qualifies the statement by saying indicators from the supply chain point to a later release. Shipments of Apple's desktop products will dip in July due to inventory adjustments but are expected to dramatically rise in August as the new iMac starts shipping out from factories.

Regarding Apple's overall financial outlook, Kuo sees zero growth across the line for Apple in the second quarter of 2012 on smartphone competition from Samsung, slow MacBook sales, a weakened global economy and the iPad's late entry into China. Quarter three of the calendar year will likely pick up, however, as new product launches are expected to lead moderate growth ahead of the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    So let's see. We now have Apple redesigning their iPod lineup, iPhone, and iMac while also adding an all new iPad Mini and 13 inch MacBook Pro in September...
  • Reply 2 of 88
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

The retina display seems to be the norm for apple now.  I bet they come out with a MacMini w/ retina display.  Doh!!

• Reply 3 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    The retina display seems to be the norm for apple now.  I bet they come out with a MacMini w/ retina display.  Doh!!

I wouldn't be surprised if all updates from this point on will only happen when Retina is possible.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Currently finishing up configuring my business partner's retina MBP.  I've had it for almost a week.  Absolutely phenomenal machine.  The retina display is definitely the next logical step for Apple.

As much as I love it, I prefer the 13" size of my MBA.  I would prefer a 13" retina display on an MBA but I'm not sure for the time being if the horsepower (and battery) will work in an MBA to drive that display.  A 13" retina MBP would certainly grab my attention though.

I hope retina is the next step for the iMac as well.  My 2009 iMac is great, but a Thunderbolt/Retina/SSD iMac would really take it home for me!

Keep up the great work going Apple!

• Reply 5 of 88
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Hopefully with matte display option. Or else, no purchase. MacMatte.

• Reply 6 of 88
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member

I really am hoping for an updated Mac Mini this week or next... I'm still running a Power Mac G5.. (non-intel based).  Looking for a mac mini with 2 thunderbolt ports... 2 usb 3.0 ports... and a dual-core i7 processor.  

Or is the rumor that the Mac Mini dead really true?

• Reply 7 of 88

I'm ready for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

• Reply 8 of 88
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I think the new iMac will probably just have the ivy bridge upgrade & probably GPU, i doubt it would get retina.

to get the ppi on a 27" (just using a ppi calculator) take about 5120 X 2880 res (current iMac 27" res x 2) 217ppi, which would be amazing for photographers & video editing, but all web content would look crazy upscaled & very poor.

If they bring out a retina macbook pro 13" i hope it has dedicated graphics, the idea of the 13" pro retina using Intel HD Graphics 4000 & having less grunt (graphically) then the macbook air seems odd.

Theres my 2cents 

• Reply 9 of 88
    zunx wrote: »
    Hopefully with matte display option. Or else, no purchase. MacMatte.

Lolwut? Are you from 1998? Matte displays are terrible dude. They diffuse glare all over your screen and create a eye straining fuzz covering everything.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

I really am hoping for an updated Mac Mini this week or next... I'm still running a Power Mac G5.. (non-intel based).  Looking for a mac mini with 2 thunderbolt ports... 2 usb 3.0 ports... and a dual-core i7 processor.  

Or is the rumor that the Mac Mini dead really true?

I don't think the Mac Mini is dead. It's the only headless Mac Apple sells besides the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is in a completely different league of computing in every way imaginable: performance, size, and most importantly: price. Not your typical home computer at all.

I think the only reason the Mac Mini hasn't been updated for so long is because it didn't really make sense to update it before Ivy Bridge was available, and the MacBook Air and Pro had to be updated first. Probably Apple simply couldn't get enough parts from Intel to update their laptops *and* the iMac *and* the Mac Mini at the same time.

• Reply 11 of 88

Welcome though this news is, I find it strange that Apple will give the recent refresh of the 13" MBP such a short life.

I need a portable that I stand a chance of using meaningfully in an economy seat on a plane, but with high enough spec to last out the next few OS upgrades, and as much processing power as I can get away with (for GIS work) yet keep 5+ hrs of battery life.  4 cores and 8GB ram strike me as minimum spec, and 13" screen about as big as I can get away with on the plane.  I was about to compromise and go for the best of the current MBP 13" with SSD, but will now struggle on with my 2008 Macbook until September...

hmmmm

• Reply 12 of 88
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

I also think the iMac will get a hardware refresh only, but not Retina. The design change, along with another hardware refresh (Haswell and co.), but with Retina or a near-Retina panel. 4K comes to mind, so 3840x2160 (if it is to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio) would be fine by me. Naturally, anything higher than that in the 4k x 2k category would be highly appreciated, such as 4096x2300. Mmmmhhhhh...:-P Ideally, the 27" Thunderbolt display will get the same treatment that the 27" iMac will, assuming it will retain the same 27" display.

While I would like to see the 17" MBP make some kind of return, I am very happy with my 15.4" Retina MBP, as I can run everything in WUXGA (1920x1200) resolution that used to be available only on the 17". I love how this panel scales. It's just ridiculously great to be able to get the high res. and still get the extreme pixel density in multiple resolutions.

The speculation surrounding the Apple HDTV television set sporting some kind of extreme display option(s) would suggest that Retina-ish panels should be possible in the 25" - 30" panel size.

• Reply 13 of 88

I'm waiting for new Mac Minis to be announced. I've wanted to pick one up for my home theatre from a long time. Hopefully they'll announce it soon.

• Reply 14 of 88
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Lolwut? Are you from 1998? Matte displays are terrible dude. They diffuse glare all over your screen and create a eye straining fuzz covering everything.

If you're such a fan of glossy displays, you could just stick a big mirror on your desk instead. You'll get much the same result, and save a lot of money in the process.

For those of us with actual work to do, matte is essential.

• Reply 15 of 88
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member

Quote:

I'm a graphic designer and there is no way I'd go back to matte screens.

I have a window right behind my desk and have no problem with reflection at all on my 27" iMac.

If I put my hand next to the screen I can't see any reflection at all, it's as if there is nothing between me and the image. It's much better than the annoying light glow that covered my old screens. 

The mirror screen thing is a myth created by people who are trying to sound professional.

• Reply 16 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    If you're such a fan of glossy displays, you could just stick a big mirror on your desk instead. You'll get much the same result, and save a lot of money in the process.

Matte adds a fine texture to the display's surface, and that will blur the pixels on a Retina display. I call that defeating the point. The diffusion of incident light with matte brings up the black level to a dark gray, and that can easily clobber shadow detail.

Also, the Retina display on the MBPR has a much better anti-glare surface than previous Macs. I suggest you check it out in the store display. Even in a brightly lit environment, it works pretty well.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if all updates from this point on will only happen when Retina is possible.

Yes, and the mba's will be very last of the bunch, me thinks.

• Reply 18 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

I'm a graphic designer and there is no way I'd go back to matte screens.

I have a window right behind my desk and have no problem with reflection at all on my 27" iMac.

If I put my hand next to the screen I can't see any reflection at all, it's as if there is nothing between me and the image. It's much better than the annoying light glow that covered my old screens. 

The mirror screen thing is a myth created by people who are trying to sound professional.

I can see situations where the glossy screen is a problem - specially if the user is not at liberty to make any changes to the work environment. But why would a designer choose to work in brightly lit office without the ability to dim or shade the light? That doesn't make sense even with matte screens. Ditto video editors (I have never been in an edit suite that was compromised by the lighting). But there are many brightly lit spaces with lots of windows and maybe those places cause problems, you know, like Apple stores. In my experience, bright sunlight has always been a problem as far as screens go, no matter what kind.

• Reply 19 of 88
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    I have the latest 2011 MacBook air with a 13 inch screen and its resolution is 1440*900. That is insane when considering it is the same resolution as the 17 inch iMac g3 with the stainless steel swivel neck( I have that one. Itis a classic!). So I'm ok for now. I had the new iPad but the effing thing wouldn't charge while in use. The screen is phenomenal but there is definitely a charging/ use issue . My girl friend took it back after the 14 day return policy expired with no questions asked. The manager knew the problem. I got the iPad 2 and it is a beast!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

So let's see. We now have Apple redesigning their iPod lineup, iPhone, and iMac while also adding an all new iPad Mini and 13 inch MacBook Pro in September...

I know, it doesn't make any sense to release so many new products at once. Apple usually releases one new product at a time for maximum publicity.