Lion Frustrations: Mission Control

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, don't get me wrong, I love Lion, however Mission control is driving me crazy. It is mainly because I cannot rearrange desktops (easily at least). I have apps I have opened an put in full screen and it would be so much more user friendly if I could rearrange desktops.

Another frustration is that Mission Control does not play nicely with multiple displays. It would be nice if each desktop would display on a separate display. So desktop 1 would display on my first screen and desktop 2 would be on my second screen, then when I do a three finger swipe it would then switch to displaying desktops 2 and 3. This way makes so much more sense. That would also resolve the issue of full screen apps leaving the second display blank.

I've seen this issue brought up on the web all so often, you would think Apple would get on the ball to fix this.

I almost wish I could write an app that does this. Does anyone have any insight on how to do this? Does anyone know if one like this is already in development? This functionality is crucial to my workflow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acondiff View Post

Okay, don't get me wrong, I love Lion, however Mission control is driving me crazy. It is mainly because I cannot rearrange desktops (easily at least). I have apps I have opened an put in full screen and it would be so much more user friendly if I could rearrange desktops.

"Rearrange Desktops based on most recent use" is ticked BY DEFAULT?

Quote:

It would be nice if each desktop would display on a separate display.

That's not how Spaces has ever worked, nor how it's supposed to work. You want something to show up on one display everywhere, just assign it to All Spaces in the contextual menu in the Dock.

Quote:

This way makes so much more sense.

No, that way makes absolutely no sense?

Quote:

That would also resolve the issue of full screen apps leaving the second display blank.

That part, though, is just a glitch. Full-screen applications are supposed to be able to fullscreen on one display and leave the second one available for use. It'll be fixed in a 10.7.x update.

Quote:

I almost wish I could write an app that does this. Does anyone have any insight on how to do this?

It can't be done. Apple would have to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I think you misunderstood what I meant that it would be nice to manually rearrange the desktops, like rearranging icons in Launchpad. I was also saying that the line of desktops would be like a ribbon. And I am not saying thats how spaces worked before. But this is how it would work:

Display 1: Desktop 1

Display 2: Desktop 2

(swipe left)

Display 1: Desktop 2

Display 2: Desktop 3

(swipe left)

Display 1: Desktop 3

Display 2: Desktop 4

(swipe right)

Display 1: Desktop 2

Display 2: Desktop 3
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acondiff View Post

I think you misunderstood what I meant that it would be nice to manually rearrange the desktops, like rearranging icons in Launchpad. I was also saying that the line of desktops would be like a ribbon. And I am not saying thats how spaces worked before. But this is how it would work:

No, I know what you're talking about, I just hate the idea. It's terrible from a sense-memory point of view and it's giving me Windows Properties window nightmares. I don't think Apple would ever do anything like that, so you'll have to make do with assigning applications to all Spaces and putting them on your second desktop. Yes, it changes your workflow and how you want to work, but it's better.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    acondiff: I like your idea better. It's more intuitive to me for some reason.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That part, though, is just a glitch.

Really?

Are you sure it's not a feature...?

• Reply 6 of 22
    Mission Control (together with the most of Lion) sucks, because:

IT OVERLAPS WINDOWS!

OMG! The one thing it should do - give a total overview - is now flawed because it had to share it's place with "Spaces". Now windows are overlapped so they can still be hidden.

CLICK-AND-HOLDING DOCK APP DOESNT'T SHOW ME ITS WINDOWS ANYMORE!

OMG! The best Snow Leopard usability feature has been removed. I used it all the time; click and hold the dock item to see all application windows.

Don't get me started on Lion, the usability section at Apple seems to be replaced with interns.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Mission Control (together with the most of Lion) sucks

Eloquently spoken!

• Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

OMG! The best Snow Leopard usability feature has been removed. I used it all the time; click and hold the dock item to see all application windows.

That's because a 4-finger swipe downward (default) does it faster.

Quote:

IT OVERLAPS WINDOWS!

OMG! The one thing it should do - give a total overview - is now flawed because it had to share it's place with "Spaces". Now windows are overlapped so they can still be hidden.

This wasn't the original purpose. But if you hover over the window with your mouse and hit space it will show you a preview.

Quote:

It can't be done. Apple would have to do it.

Really? Because anyone with basic coding knowledge (like myself) can write an AppleScript or Objective-C or C++ executable that would work just fine.

Quote:

acondiff: I like your idea better. It's more intuitive to me for some reason.

That's because it is more intuitive...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amarkon View Post

That's because a 4-finger swipe downward (default) does it faster.

That will come in handy when you're using a mouse... You clearly thought this through.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

That will come in handy when you're using a mouse... You clearly thought this through.

Apple wants people to stop using mice. You clearly didn't think this through.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Apple wants people to stop using mice.

Another technology rammed down consumers' throats whether they want it or not. Just like Thunderbolt, and FireWire.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

Another technology rammed down consumers' throats whether they want it or not. Just like Thunderbolt, and FireWire.

And mice. And keyboards. And hard disk drives. And CD-ROM. And Monitors. And ...

.tsooJ
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

So go back to using your Underwood. You're just trolling now.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

So go back to using your Underwood. You're just trolling now.

Thunderbolt could turn out to be a boon. But it could just as easily prove to be another DOA like we have seen before. So jumping up and down for joy about Thunderbolt is a bit like premature ejaculation!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Mission Control (together with the most of Lion) sucks, because:

IT OVERLAPS WINDOWS!

Don't get me started on Lion, the usability section at Apple seems to be replaced with interns.

Why don't you just press ctrl-F3 (exposé key) which shows you all of the windows for your current active application?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    New to this forum, found the mission control thread.

When you only have one application on a desktop, you hit 'mission control' and it actually reduces the amount of screenspace showing you something usefull. This is surely a design flaw, no argument possible.

They should keep an option for the old style expose-of current desktop for sure. I can see what they're trying to do with fullscreen apps, but the old expose+ spaces system was available to all apps and a great way of navigating between many items - it was a revelation when i started using a mac (forced to for iOS dev) that the small screen space of MBP could punch way above its weight for coding compared to visual studio... because the window switching as SO good (in conjunction with multitouch).

Whats the need for app bundles when the dock already lets you get to a specific app? Desktops let you group by task which can cross apps, e.g. some coding windows & some output, or some documentation & finder locations

I'd prefer the old system back -it was the pinnacle of window management , better than anything i've seen elsewhere - but if they simply added the tweak that when one application is on a desktop it reverts to single-desk expose, or at least made the app-bundles fill the entire area then it would be ok.

Single App Expose doesn't do it: the issue is when you have SO many windows of a single app (ie. Xcode) that you want to arrange them between desktops (different code modules..). It was faster than navigating to any other type of tabs - it's like bookmarking on steroids. Easier to just swipe/throw the mouse at corners than to navigate to any other type of UI elements.

I found that desktops (also when I moved to Linux) are preferable to Minimizing- instead of having to consciously decide what to *dismiss*, you just prioritize by dragging the most important items to a new screen.

Overall i think mission control is a bit 'schizophrenic', i.e. do you want to maximize or go fullscreen ? Once you've full screened something it isn't visible in the same expose view ?
  • Reply 17 of 22

If as me you want to see Mission control improved please like this page : http://www.facebook.com/WeWantANewMissionControl

• Reply 18 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaise2jardin View Post

If as me you want to see Mission control improved please like this page  

That's just stupid. No one cares about that page. If you actually want it improved, you'll submit a specific feature request here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

• Reply 19 of 22
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Mission Control in Lion is/was utter garbage. Nothing made any sense for even casual workflows. Having desktops across two monitors switch on both is stupid, full screen apps disabling one screen is idiotic, and not being able to check a box to have an external display as the only one working (like XP could 10 years ago) is probably the worst thing about it. It was a massive design flaw. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple wants people to stop using mice. You clearly didn't think this through.

They made a way overpriced mouse with gestures, so clearly they don't want people to stop using mice. You clearly don't think at all.

How did you become a mod Tallest? All you do is tell people they are stupid, wrong, and dismiss any problems they have simply because they have different opinions than you. You're the worst person I've ever seen on any Mac site and it boggles the mind how such a hostile person became a mod.

• Reply 20 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

They made a way overpriced mouse with gestures, so clearly they don't want people to stop using mice. You clearly don't think at all.

Sorry, are there other multitouch mice on the market? How about standalone trackpads? What do they cost? And how can something be overpriced when 1. people pay for it and 2. nothing else exists that does what it does?

How did you become a mod Tallest? All you do is tell people they are stupid, wrong, and dismiss any problems they have simply because they have different opinions than you. You're the worst person I've ever seen on any Mac site and it boggles the mind how such a hostile person became a mod.

Yep, that's the only thing I do. You're clearly correct.

I always find that crap humorous.