Users receive Apple's 'final reminder' for July 31 iWork.com closure

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday issued what it called a "final reminder" to users that they must save their iWork.com documents before July 31 or lose them forever.

The iWork.com beta website will close in one weeks, after which users will no longer be able to access their documents on the iWork.com site or view them on the web.

Apple has recommended once again that users immediately sign in to iWork.com to download documents and ensure they are not lost. An accompanying support article also details how users can save a copy of their documents onto their computer.

"Moving forward, you can use iCloud to store your documents and make them available across your computer and your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch," the e-mail sent out on Tuesday by Apple reads.

Apple has sent out numerous reminders, including one earlier this month, encouraging users to back up their documents. Apple first notified customers in March of its intent to shutter the iWork.com website by the end of July.

iWork.com

The iWork.com service first launched as a beta in early 2009, offering iWork users on the Mac the ability to more easily collaborate with others using Windows and Microsoft Office. Now, the iWork suite of applications is become available on iOS, with Pages, Numbers and Keynote among the most popular downloads on the iPad App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I love the beta label on iWork.com. So they never officially launched the product.

The title of the article should be "All 5 users of iWork.com were notified."

• Reply 2 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Well, unlike MobileMe, at least they left iWork.com up until MountainLion came out, which is supposed to enable iCloud support for iWork documents, for those who were using it. For those who were using Gallery, they basically got shut down for a month waiting for ML to implement PhotoStream Sharing (and now that evyone has switched to Flickr, it makes you wonder why).
  • Reply 3 of 10

Unless I am wrong, there is no current way to save work to the cloud on your computer other than to iWork.  Go to Numbers on the computer and try to "Share a document".  That is it.  No iCloud folder in 10.8's finder where you can open these documents.  No iCloud menu item in Numbers, Keynote nor Pages. 

Did I miss something?

• Reply 4 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Upload to iCloud.com.

• Reply 5 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Exactly. With 10.8 it's supposed to be integrated for automatic save to iCloud without manually uploading it. I'm assuming 10.8 is going to enable this, but it may also require an update to iWork as well. In this way your documents will be immediately available on any device and computer anywhere without the user having to do anything.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

I've gone through this a few times with Apple. They have something, then they don't. They offer something, then it's migrated. I don't get why the company that is famous for concentrating on the user experience can't make these things as easy as possible.

I have an iCloud account under the exact same username. Why don't they just offer to move it for me?

Almost everything I do with Apple, iTunes account, Apple Support account, Developer account, iApp Store, Mac Appstore, etc. uses the exact same Apple account (except we've had some outwardly obvious, but structurally rather opaque changes—me.com ->Mac.com ->iCloud, etc.) Now I've several unpredictably semi-interchangeable e-mail/usernames I'd like to harmonize and standardize. How about a central place to straighten it all out, once and for all?— "iManage (my accounts and passwords)"?

I know it's big, but would this really be so difficult?

• Reply 7 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Well, unlike MobileMe, at least they left iWork.com up until MountainLion came out, which is supposed to enable iCloud support for iWork documents, for those who were using it. For those who were using Gallery, they basically got shut down for a month waiting for ML to implement PhotoStream Sharing (and now that evyone has switched to Flickr, it makes you wonder why).

PhotoStream is no replacement for MM Gallery, that's for sure. Neither is sharing Journals created in iPhoto.ipa

And with the introduction of iWork documents stored in iCloud we lose the ability to backup our documents in an easy, iDisk like manner. I really don't like these changes.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post

Unless I am wrong, there is no current way to save work to the cloud on your computer other than to iWork.  Go to Numbers on the computer and try to "Share a document".  That is it.  No iCloud folder in 10.8's finder where you can open these documents.  No iCloud menu item in Numbers, Keynote nor Pages. 

Did I miss something?

It's not in the Finder (at least not in a visible place) because you aren't supposed to do it via the Finder. You do it in the application. And it's not a share function it's a save one. When you save the document the first time, assuming you have Docs and Data turned on in iCloud and the iWork updates, it will ask you if you want to save it to iCloud or just to your Mac. 

• Reply 9 of 10
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I've gone through this a few times with Apple. They have something, then they don't. They offer something, then it's migrated. I don't get why the company that is famous for concentrating on the user experience can't make these things as easy as possible.

I have an iCloud account under the exact same username. Why don't they just offer to move it for me?

That one is actually very easy. They don't know, or rather didn't, if everything you are using with that account was ready for iCloud. What if you were using a computer that was still on Snow Leopard, or worse, Leopard. If they just auto moved you to iCloud there goes syncing to that system. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    vtreevtree Posts: 2member

test