Apple TV sales up 170%, reaches installed base of 6.8 million AirPlay-ready HDTVs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quarterly sales of Apple TV reached 1.3 million units in the June 2012 quarter, up 170% over the previous year and bringing fiscal year sales of the device to 4 million.

Apple TV sales "were pretty incredible," the company's chief executive Tim Cook said during the company's quarter conference call.

"It's still at a level we would call a hobby," Cook stated, before repeating another line he's often used to describe the company's experimental strategy for entering the living room: "we continue to pull the strings to see where it takes us."

However, Cook also noted, "we don't want to keep around projects that we don't believe in. There's a lot of people here that are believers in Apple TV. We continue to invest in it and see where takes us," later reiterating, "we think it will lead us somewhere."

Cook added that "4 million is not a small number. It's small relative to iPads and iPhones, perhaps, but it's not a small number. And there's a lot of believers in it."

Apple only mentioned its sales of the Apple TV device after being asked about it in the question and answer session with analysts following the prepared statements that detailed every other aspect of the company's business.

Sales of Apple TV reach 6.8 million as AirPlay attracts attention

In fiscal 2011, Apple sold 2.8 million of the devices, which allow users to watch their existing iTunes content on an HDTV, shop for movies, and access specific services including Netflix. Sales have accelerated since Apple revamped the device to support higher resolution 1080p content in March of this year.

Additionally, over the last year Apple has promoted AirPlay as a significant new feature for Apple TV, with support for mirroring the displays of the latest iPhone and iPad models, and wirelessly beaming iTunes playback to a TV from any modern iOS devices and Macs.

AirPlay

Macs running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be able to use AirPlay to distribute audio playback to remote speakers through Apple TV, and Macs introduced in the last year and a half will also support wirelessly mirroring their audio and video to an HDTV using the set top box (above).

Two months ago at the D10 conference, Cook stated. that Apple TV had already sold 2.7 million units in just the first five months of the year. With one quarter left in Apple's fiscal 2012, it appears set to more than double last years' sales.

Cook 2

Apple has now sold 6.8 million Apple TV units since switching over to an iOS-based, $99 model. In contrast with similar offerings, Google TV sales have been estimated to have flopped at the 0.5 to 1 million mark after a bold debut last year didn't materialize in sales. Roku has reported sales of about 2.5 million of its low priced, Netflix-oriented TV boxes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I have two of them a 1st gen 720p version and the 2nd gen. I love those little black boxes. Also almost $700 millions in sales for a hobby isn't bad at all.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have one of every generation they are incredible.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I think I'm gonna have to rebuy one of these. Being an owner of the iPad 3, iPhone 4S, and a mac running ML, the airplay and mirroring features are too tempting. 

• Reply 4 of 22
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Love my second generation!
  • Reply 5 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has now sold 6.8 million Apple TV units since switching over to an iOS-based, $99 model. In contrast with similar offerings, Google TV sales have been estimated to have flopped at the 0.5 to 1 million mark after a bold debut last year didn't materialize in sales. Roku has reported sales of about 2.5 million of its low priced, Netflix-oriented TV boxes.

And, according to GeekWire, the Apple TV outsold the XBox 360 last quarter.  Isn't the XBox "proof" that Microsoft can do hardware?

• Reply 6 of 22
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Apple TV is totally about the iOS/Mac "ecosystem." its sales, and thus the ecosystem's growth, could jump 10x if Apple makes the right move with it this Fall.

what would that be? well, then we get into a long long discussion ...

• Reply 7 of 22

The sales contributed because thanks to Apple, they decide to open to the more countries in Asia.

I am glad they did it as I do not need to subscribe via US iTunes now via VPN although I would love if Singapore could watch Netflix which is only available in the States.

Love my new Apple TV and I bought 4 sets - Living room, 2 bedrooms and kitchen.......yesh kitchen needs one too.....for pure entertainment for wifey.

Now awaits the Mountain Lion...........and iOS 6

• Reply 8 of 22
    cmfilmscmfilms Posts: 20member

I have two of these, but I don't use AirPlay. Just like watching Vimeo and Netflix with ease.

• Reply 9 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Apple TV is totally about the iOS/Mac "ecosystem." its sales, and thus the ecosystem's growth, could jump 10x if Apple makes the right move with it this Fall.

what would that be? well, then we get into a long long discussion ...

If that is your way of saying "A real TV set" then I disagree. What would make the growth jump a lot higher would be better offerings in the iTunes store in terms of pricing, timing etc. Get the freaking Extras working on the Apple TV and iPad. Get more apps supporting special Airplay features like how Real Racing does the 4 player screen. those kind of things will help the Apple TV way more than putting it inside a screen. Although putting HDMI support in the Cinema Display and making at least one bigger model wouldn't hurt anything. 

• Reply 10 of 22
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Apple TV sales up 170%, reaches installed base of 6.8 million AirPlay-ready HDTVs

Which HDTVs are AirPlay ready?

Oh, that's right. None.

In order for these HDTV's to actually use AirPlay "ready", one must also purchase and attach an AppleTV. Not really "ready".

Might as well say, "Every single HDTV being sold with an HDMI port is AirPlay ready!"

• Reply 11 of 22
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Their Mac business seems to be a hobby as well, since they have never really been able to substantially increase market share. 

(Typing this from my almost new MacBook Pro - and I have and iPhone and my kids have iPhones and MacBook Pros and we have an iPad and an AppleTV.)

• Reply 12 of 22
    I'm curious how the AppleTV is doing vs Roku., last report they were actually doing better but Roku has caught up in brand awareness.

What about WDTV, Seagate, Lacie, etc.. More "open" products but probably a fraction of the sales?

I like my WDTV, but it's an older model so I bought an AppleTV 2 in addition.

DNLA still has so many incompatibilities, you never know what you are going to get.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If that is your way of saying "A real TV set" then I disagree. What would make the growth jump a lot higher would be better offerings in the iTunes store in terms of pricing, timing etc. Get the freaking Extras working on the Apple TV and iPad. Get more apps supporting special Airplay features like how Real Racing does the 4 player screen. those kind of things will help the Apple TV way more than putting it inside a screen. Although putting HDMI support in the Cinema Display and making at least one bigger model wouldn't hurt anything. 

boy talk about putting words in someone's mouth ...

i meant simply there are dozens of strongly held viewpoints about Apple TV's potential. like yours.

personally, i wish Apple would add several HDMI inputs so the ATV can be my single digital hub, with every plugged in device accessed and controlled by smart iPhone/iPad apps (some are already available, like TiVo, Xfinity, etc.). i hate input switching and fiddling with multiple IR remotes (and Bluetooth for the PS3), programming universal remotes, and especially, connecting all those damn wires in the back of everything that you can't get to without a huge amount of trouble.

but i know that's not the direction Apple is headed ... [sigh]

• Reply 14 of 22
    [RIGHT]Cracking little boxes. I have three of these. Two 720p versions, one JB'd and the new 1080p. So small and handy. I wouldn't like to see these built in to a TV set, keep them as they are. I took one to Crete this year, back of the tv, Sky Sports, UFC, like home from home. [/RIGHT]
  • Reply 15 of 22

If Apple thinks of Apple TV as a hobby still then why would they build a TV set? I don't think Apple should build a TV set. Other manufacturers are doing that just fine.

Apple should just make a super interface for the TV using the solution that Steve Jobs and company finally cracked. Put it into the current Apple TV or make a slightly bigger version if necessary. If the interface isn't awesome then any TV sets Apple makes won't be great sellers.

The whole world would want to purchase an Apple interface if it is awesome. People with existing TVs would want them no matter what the size of their screen. If Apple only sells TV sets with the new interface then they'll need to fight for market share. The better long term strategy would be to release a set top box interface that works with everything. Then incorporate improved version into Apple TV sets a year or two down the road. So when people decide to replace older TVs they'll automatically want an Apple TV set.

• Reply 16 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

So Apple TV sales are roughly on par with the top selling Android Tablets.

Four million more not to include in the Android vs iOS market share myths.

• Reply 17 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If Apple thinks of Apple TV as a hobby still then why would they build a TV set? I don't think Apple should build a TV set. Other manufacturers are doing that just fine.

Apple should just make a super interface for the TV using the solution that Steve Jobs and company finally cracked. Put it into the current Apple TV or make a slightly bigger version if necessary. If the interface isn't awesome then any TV sets Apple makes won't be great sellers.

The whole world would want to purchase an Apple interface if it is awesome. People with existing TVs would want them no matter what the size of their screen. If Apple only sells TV sets with the new interface then they'll need to fight for market share. The better long term strategy would be to release a set top box interface that works with everything. Then incorporate improved version into Apple TV sets a year or two down the road. So when people decide to replace older TVs they'll automatically want an Apple TV set.

We have no idea exactly what Steve Jovs meant when he told Walter Isaacsonn he "cracked" it. The assumption is its this revolutionary UI, but who knows. I hope its nothing like what they rolled out earlier this year. I hate the current ATV UI. What we do know is wall street is expecting more than an update to the $99 box. Apple's business model is making money on the hardware side and my guess is they're not making much off the $99 box. Plus Tim Cook has said Apple isn't looking to make money on the content side. It will be interesting to see what Apple does in this space if anything.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

For my money the Roku is currently a better offering, as it simply offers far more content. Most of it is admittedly abysmal, but amongst the sewage are a few gems. ATV is just too bare bones, it desperately needs an app store.

Better than both however is the X360. It has most of the top streaming services, and it also happens to be a rather good games console.

• Reply 19 of 22
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So Apple TV sales are roughly on par with the top selling Android Tablets.

Four million more not to include in the Android vs iOS market share myths.

Why would you include ATV in iOS sales?  As it's a closed platform, ATV sales are a total irrelevance to developers.

• Reply 20 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Why would you include ATV in iOS sales?  As it's a closed platform, ATV sales are a total irrelevance to developers.

Those two sentences have nothing at all to do with one another.