Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With more than 200 new features, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion launched on the Mac App Store on Wednesday as a $19.99 upgrade from Lion or Snow Leopard.

Mountain Lion includes iCloud integration, the new Messages application, Notification Center, system-wide sharing, Facebook integration, Dictation, AirPlay Mirroring and Game Center.

"People are going to love the new features in Mountain Lion and how easy it is to download and install from the Mac App Store," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With iCloud integration, Mountain Lion is even easier to set up, and your important information stays up to date across all your devices so you can keep editing documents, taking notes, creating reminders, and continue conversations whether you started on a Mac, iPhone or iPad."

Features of Mountain Lion, as highlighted by Apple on Wednesday, include:
  • iCloud integration, for easy set up of your Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, Reminders and Notes, and keeping everything, including iWork documents, up to date across all your devices;
  • the all new Messages app, which replaces iChat and brings iMessage to the Mac, so you can send messages to anyone with an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or another Mac;
  • Notification Center, which streamlines the presentation of notifications and provides easy access to alerts from Mail, Calendar, Messages, Reminders, system updates and third party apps;
  • system-wide Sharing, to make it easy to share links, photos, videos and other files quickly without having to switch to another app, and you just need to sign in once to use third-party services like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Vimeo;
Mountain Lion
  • Facebook integration, so you can post photos, links and comments with locations right from your apps, automatically add your Facebook friends to your Contacts, and even update your Facebook status from within Notification Center;
  • Dictation, which allows you to dictate text anywhere you can type, whether you?re using an app from Apple or a third party developer;
  • AirPlay Mirroring, an easy way to wirelessly send an up-to-1080p secure stream of what?s on your Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV, or send audio to a receiver or speakers that use AirPlay; and
  • Game Center, which brings the popular social gaming network from iOS to the Mac so you can enjoy live, multiplayer games with friends whether they?re on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
Additional features in Mountain Lion include Gatekeeper, which makes downloading software from the Internet safer; Power Nap, which automatically updates apps and the system while a Mac is asleep; and a faster Safari browser. New features for China include improved text input, a new Chinese Dictionary, easier setup with popular email providers, Baidu search in Safari, and built-in sharing to Sina Weibo and popular video websites Youku and Tudou.

For an extensive look at the features and functionality found in Mountain Lion, see AppleInsider's in-depth Inside Mountain Lion series.

Mountain Lion

Pricing and Availability

OS X Mountain Lion is available from the Mac App Store for $19.99 (US). Mountain Lion requires Lion or Snow Leopard (OS X v10.6.8 or later), 2GB of memory and 8GB of available space. For a complete list of system requirements and compatible systems, visit: apple.com/osx/specs. OS X Server requires Mountain Lion and is available from the Mac App Store for $19.99 (US). The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 182
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    And the app store appears to be down.  Any one else having authentication issues?

• Reply 2 of 182

Took multiple tries, but finally connected and started downloading...

• Reply 3 of 182
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

Yes. I am getting the error here on the East Coast.

• Reply 4 of 182

Same thing here. 

• Reply 5 of 182

Click on the banner at top of AppStore to get to the link. Mine is now downloading.

• Reply 6 of 182
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Took like 5 tries but it finally took.

• Reply 7 of 182
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

If anybody has just installed from the App Store, is it build 12A269?  

• Reply 8 of 182
    hayzenhayzen Posts: 6member

Error 404 when I tried to get my free copy. :(

• Reply 9 of 182

I have 40 more minutes to download the 4.34 GB file. I'll let you know then. 

• Reply 10 of 182
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Please do post all impressions and reviews here. I'm filling out my tax return (in Aust. we need Windows. Bleh.) in Windows 8 on VMWare Fusion, when done I'll consider Mountain Lion.

MY QUESTION:
    [B][I]Does it have the touch of Steve???[/I][/B]

I felt the MBP Retina didn't, hence I returned it and got a 27" ACD instead. Big screens are the only way to fly with OS X. Heh.
  • Reply 11 of 182
    ckiyanckiyan Posts: 2member

This item is temporarily unavailable at the Belgium store

• Reply 12 of 182
    BTW Windows 8 is a complete and utter piece of nonsense. I will delete it and if Aust. Tax for 2012-2013 requires eTax on Windows only I will just go to HR Block. Not worth dealing with Windows. In terms of my values, there is no more need nor use nor space for Windows. Goodbye, old, rotten friend.
  • Reply 13 of 182
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member

No issues starting the download - currently in progress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

• Reply 14 of 182

I'll wait a few days....while you guys iron out the remaining bugs.  

• Reply 15 of 182
    dlcmh wrote: »
    No issues starting the download - currently in progress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Dude are you on Unifi?
  • Reply 16 of 182
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Dude are you on Unifi?

Yep, 5 Mbps plan.

• Reply 17 of 182
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Downloading now.  Started a while ago -- haven't made much progress yet.  This is going to be a long process.

That's ok.  No hurry.

• Reply 18 of 182
    asmodaiasmodai Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Please do post all impressions and reviews here. I'm filling out my tax return (in Aust. we need Windows. Bleh.) in Windows 8 on VMWare Fusion, when done I'll consider Mountain Lion.

MY QUESTION:

Does it have the touch of Steve???

I felt the MBP Retina didn't, hence I returned it and got a 27" ACD instead. Big screens are the only way to fly with OS X. Heh.

VMWare Fusion 4 does not work properly with Mountain Lion, you need the VMWare Technical Preview 2012, which has no official release date. Check the VMWare forums.

• Reply 19 of 182
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

:-(

Currently unavailable in switzerland.

• Reply 19 of 182
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Getting a 100 error followed by 'item temporarily unavailable' here in the UK.