Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Comments

• Reply 81 of 182
    napybluenapyblue Posts: 14member

How long did you have to wait for an upgrade code? I sent in my info about an hour ago and still no email!

• Reply 82 of 182
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member

I too have installed every new OS on launch day and never experienced an issue.  The vast majority of users don't and those bugs that have been reported, while unfortunate for those effected have been experienced only by the minority. 

Download through official channels, backup, install as instructed, let the installer do the work.  Don't tinker, don't repair permissions, or move things around or try and be clever, just let the installer do it's work.

Very happily installed here in the UK, CS6, Microsoft Office, Font Explorer Pro, Transmit, Transmission and Navicat light all running fine.  

In all machine feels more responsive and no issues.  There were none before, none now.  Notification centre is nice and another layer of security from gatekeeper is also good.  All in all for stability, performance and security, £13 is zero issue.

• Reply 83 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

To be fair... you can make the scroll bars always show... true... but the arrows have been gone since Lion I think.

Why would* you need the arrows anyway? Pretty much every mouse since 1999 has had a scroll wheel. Clicking and dragging the scroll wheel is always an option and, of course, the cursor keys on the keyboard are always there and do the same thing.

*EDIT

• Reply 84 of 182
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Won't install on my Macintosh SE. 

Sigh.

• Reply 85 of 182
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

How long did you have to wait for an upgrade code? I sent in my info about an hour ago and still no email!

I called apple care on this and they said it is actually good we haven't gotten an email of the code.  She said the majority of the immediate codes haven't been working and it is a longer issue to resolve.  She said it should be in our inbox in the next 72 hours (which is what it says).

I'm impatient- but I'm not a 12 year old on Christmas eve- I guess I can wait.  ;-)

So just downloading all my iWork, iPhoto, iMovie, Remote Desktop, and Safari updates instead.... 

• Reply 86 of 182
    asmodaiasmodai Posts: 21member

I have also noticed my previous non-sandboxed apps ( Moom, FreeMemory, Fantastical, HyperDock ) are working.

There is also a recent update to Remote Desktop just now.

• Reply 87 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

don't repair permissions

Definitely repair permissions before you download the update.

• Reply 88 of 182
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Downloading, downloading …

Another Cat, another cat.

This one doesn't look that impressive. I think I'll wait until next year for Liger or maybe even the year after that for Sabretooth. 

The one I really want though is 10.11. That one is going to be the bomb. My sources are already getting me info about it. Apple is really scared about this Microsoft Surface thing and are hard at work on a truly fused OSX and iOS and 2015 is going to be the year they debut THE future of Apple, a single OS to run them all with new hardware that's all touch based. They are already at work on buying out ModBook cause they want the tech to release themselves. It is going to be amazing.

Everyone is going to want to pay attention in 2015 when Apple releases the truly magical OS 10.11 Nyan Cat. 

• Reply 89 of 182
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    applezilla wrote: »

Sigh.

Did you load himem.sys?
  • Reply 90 of 182

Thanks for the info. A 72 hour wait?!?! They should have just charged us $20 less for our new MBP/MBA and skipped the complexity of the free upgrade process.

• Reply 91 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But they did do that.

But only for those that had Mobile Me accounts. Everyone else had to pay and they weren't told that come a year later they would be able to jump over Lion so they 'wasted' $40 getting that installer when they could have just paid $20 for Snow Leopard and waited. 

• Reply 92 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Not at my Apple store.  Sometimes I think they should reconsider that "Genius" title.

Post the release of any OS you can't get the previous one at the stores. And the free Snow Leopard for Mobile Me members was online only cause you had to log into your mobile me account. Which was very clearly spelled out in the emails they sent out, on the site etc

Sounds like the 'not a Genius' in this case was you. Not the store. 

• Reply 93 of 182

Quote:

Thanks for the info. A 72 hour wait?!?! They should have just charged us $20 less for our new MBP/MBA and skipped the complexity of the free upgrade process.

Ya- it sucks.  I even asked them if I could just buy it in the App Store and be credited the amount (that would seem easier on me at least)- but she said they can't do that until the 72 hour point.  I understand- they want to track how many are sold and how many are free.  Oh well.  At least our downloads will be faster.  ;-)

• Reply 94 of 182

Quote:

can anyone else anwer this? I filled mine out 2 hours ago - nothing

• Reply 95 of 182

Quote:

Or they could have just said screw you and made you pay full price for the computer AND bought the upgrade. They didn't have to give it to you for free, especially going back all the way to June 11th. Sure some folks wouldn't have bought computers but hey then they could have had fewer out of stock on the new stuff and you'd have bought it this quarter and it all balances out. 

It's only taking that long because they want to validate that they are sending you a unique code that hasn't been given to anyone else and can't be so that you don't run into issues again. An issue, by the by, that many wouldn't be dealing with if they hadn't been greedy and had to apply for a code before the official launch and thus before the check system was in place

• Reply 96 of 182
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

It's snappy!!!

LOL

/s

It better be!!! That's the main reason I'm downloading it, anything has got to be an improvement over Lion Slug.

• Reply 97 of 182

well downloaded it and installed it. Download took about 30 minutes and install about 15 minutes on my Mini's SSD.

So far so good, it does seem smoother and faster, but still early days and still playing around with it! 

Now will install it on the MacBook Air.

• Reply 98 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

An issue, by the by, that many wouldn't be dealing with if they hadn't been greedy and had to apply for a code before the official launch and thus before the check system was in place

Of course... it's the consumer's fault.... stupid me!  I apologize to Apple for possibly considering all the invalid codes could have been their fault (including those that were issued after it went live today).

Or maybe they should have made the up-to-date live a couple days before launch so they could review, give valid codes, and then we use those codes when Mountain Lion goes live?

• Reply 99 of 182
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    applezilla wrote: »

Sigh.

hih nice one!

Did you get a bomb in the dialog box?
  • Reply 100 of 182

It's Christmas in the walled garden!! With all the Apple stories today, all the Grinch's won't know where to start trolling.