iWork, iPhoto, iMovie & Aperture receive updates for Apple's Mountain Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday updated all three applications in its iWork productivity suite, as well as iPhoto, iMovie and Aperture, to take advantage of new features in Mountain Lion.

Updates for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are now available on the Mac App Store. Each application has also been updated to take advantage of the high-resolution Retina display on the next-generation MacBook Pro. Apple has said that files will "appear sharper and more vibrant" after the update.

New features in Pages 4.2, Numbers 2.2, and Keynote 5.2 according to Apple, are:
  • iCloud: Store documents, spreadsheets and presentations in iCloud and keep them automatically up to date across your Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and the Web. Changes made to a document on one device automatically appear on all your other devices.
  • Dictation: Speak words, numbers, or sentences and watch them appear in your document, spreadsheet or presentation.
Also released on Wednesday was iPhoto 9.3.2, which supports compatibility with Mountain Lion. The update adds new sharing options with the Messages application and Twitter, and it also features performance and stability improvements.

Aperture 3.3.2 is also available on the Mac App Store, and supports compatibility with Mountain Lion. The update also:
  • Addresses issues that could affect performance when entering and existing Full Screen mode
  • Auto White Balance can now correct color using Skin Tone mode, even when Faces is disabled
  • Projects and albums in the Library Inspector can now be sorted by date in addition to name and kind
  • Includes performance and stability improvements
Finally, iMovie was also updated on Wednesday to version 9.0.7. Changes to the latest version, according to Apple, are:
  • Fixes an issue related to third-party QuickTime components that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly
  • Resolves stability issues when previewing MPEG-2 video clips in the Camera Import window
  • Fixes an issue where audio was not included when importing MPEG-2 video clips from a camera

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

This is what I've been waiting for(iWork)!! And I'm happy to say that it works great! 

• Reply 2 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    postulant wrote: »
    This is what I've been waiting for(iWork)!! And I'm happy to say that it works great! 

So many new toys eh! Where to begin? I replaced my MBP's HD with an SSD yesterday too .... OMG! It's like Christmas!
  • Reply 3 of 41

iMovie 9.0.7 has also been released today.

• Reply 4 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And Aperture.

• Reply 5 of 41

Maybe in iPhoto we will finally be able to export photos with the creation date (date picture was taken) as the file name?  This program is useless without this.  Urgh.

• Reply 6 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalidrama View Post

This program is useless without this.

Except that's completely wrong.

• Reply 7 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

So where are the haters to scream about no iWork 2012 and iLife 2012. Weren't they demanding that Apple overhaul the programs and charge us all over again or the programs are crap. 

did they finally figure out that there's really no overwhelming need to overhaul any of them and that these 'baby updates' for free are actually a better way to go (cause they are free). I sure hope so

That said, I actually do wish they would overhaul iWork a little. I would rather have the slide out tool panel of iPhoto than the pop out boxes of iWork (inspector, fonts etc). At least as a UI option. Those that really like the pop ups could always select to go back to 'classic' like you can in Mail. 

• Reply 8 of 41
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    iWork iCloud integration is still lackluster. There still isn't full compatibility between iOS and OS X, resulting in multiple duplicates for documents with extended features being used in the OS X versions. So, in short, it doesn't "just work".

Apple really needs to polish this up.
  • Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So where are the haters to scream about no iWork 2012 and iLife 2012.

Everywhere; they're just subtle.

• Reply 10 of 41

The iWork updates still have access to iWork.com. I guess we will see another update in a week to remove the feature when the domain closes...

• Reply 11 of 41

Hi guys,

few questions:

- is ML Numbers fully compatible with iOS after the upgrade ?

- I need to start writing some technical docs, is ML Pages iCloud well integrated with system now ? I mean, can I use Pages on my iPad, and continue working on my iMac without some sort of hack ?

- I still have Lion, but the MacBook Pro upgrade prompt me to update Safari and iWork suite. I understand that this are upgrade intended for mountain lion, and because I use my MacBook Pro for work, I am unsure about installing them or not.

thanks

• Reply 12 of 41
    The iWork updates still have access to iWork.com. I guess we will see another update in a week to remove the feature when the domain closes...

I noticed that too. Also, maybe if we are really lucky (I sincerely doubt this will happen), we'll see iWork bumped up to 64bit versions. How can Apple expect third-parties to get with the program if they still haven't updated all their apps?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Hi guys,

few questions:

- is ML Numbers fully compatible with iOS after the upgrade ?
    - I need to start writing some technical docs, is ML Pages iCloud well integrated with system now ? I mean, can I use Pages on my iPad, and continue working on my iMac without some sort of hack ?
    - I still have Lion, but the MacBook Pro upgrade prompt me to update Safari and iWork suite. I understand that this are upgrade intended for mountain lion, and because I use my MacBook Pro for work, I am unsure about installing them or not.

thanks

(1) No
    (2) No
    (3) Shouldn't be an issue, install away.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I couldn't disagree more if I tried, iWork is in dire need of a significant update! Sure these little patches to ensure compatibility with the newer versions of OS X are great, they're also pretty much unavoidable for Apple as it would be rather pathetic for them to release Mountain Lion and not have their own work suite compatible with it's latest feature.

• Reply 15 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So where are the haters to scream about no iWork 2012 and iLife 2012. Weren't they demanding that Apple overhaul the programs and charge us all over again or the programs are crap. 

did they finally figure out that there's really no overwhelming need to overhaul any of them and that these 'baby updates' for free are actually a better way to go (cause they are free). I sure hope so

That said, I actually do wish they would overhaul iWork a little. I would rather have the slide out tool panel of iPhoto than the pop out boxes of iWork (inspector, fonts etc). At least as a UI option. Those that really like the pop ups could always select to go back to 'classic' like you can in Mail. 

Good grief, how are people who have been waiting for an update for over three years "HATERS"? Seriously?

I'm as big of a defender of Apple as anyone, but iWork is in need of a major update. Tried using Keynote on an iPad lately? Or viewing a Keynote presentation you created on your Mac and have it crash and be unrecoverable (and un-fixable by Apple Support Tech?)? Or tried to play that presentation on an iPad and watch most of the features go away? 

I am impressed in the quality (with the notable exception of the very buggy Keynote) of the software after THREE plus years of no major upgrade. But I'm a hater I guess for wanting this software suite to keep pace with MSFT Office, and yes I'd pay for them (and so should anyone who gets a major feature set update). These are not "baby updates", they're mere patches to keep up with their OS update (dictation, "retina" display and iCloud--and not even major integration at that). 

AI and others may call them "updates" but they're patches. This product is in Maintenance Mode, and it's sad.

• Reply 16 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalidrama View Post

Maybe in iPhoto we will finally be able to export photos with the creation date (date picture was taken) as the file name?  This program is useless without this.  Urgh.

You're right, it's completely useless. I, and millions of others (probably 99.9% of the users of this program) have never needed and don't care about this point, but because you do the program is rendered 'useless'.  If the thing was that important, and there was an actual DEMAND for that feature, I'm sure Apple would have implemented it. As it stands now, I've never even thought of this, nor has it been in any other photo managing/editing program I've used that I know of.  Love the reasonable, grounded perspective. 

• Reply 17 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

(1) No

(2) No

(3) Shouldn't be an issue, install away.

(2) Yes, iOS Pages and ML Pages are integrated: You can have the document open on both and updates will be reflected every 20 seconds or so.

• Reply 18 of 41
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Old news man.  The golden master (works as a retail) got these updates over a week ago.

• Reply 19 of 41
    johannesr wrote: »
    (2) Yes, iOS Pages and ML Pages are integrated: You can have the document open on both and updates will be reflected every 20 seconds or so.

Only if you are willing to reduce iWork for OS X to the feature set of iWork to iOS. But running iWork on OS X as if it was a tablet app strikes me as a very impoverished experience.
  • Reply 20 of 41

Lightroom is better than Aperture