Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A number of customers who recently bought a Mac and are looking to upgrade to Mountain Lion through Apple's OS X Up-to-Date program have been met with error messages telling them their redemption code has already been used.

A number of AppleInsider readers have reached out to express their frustration over the issue. In addition, numerous growing threads on the Apple Support Communities forums also document the problems.

Users are able to receive a redemption code from Mountain Lion through Apple's Up-to-Date program, but attempts to redeem it on the Mac App Store are met with the error: "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once."

The issue is affecting users from all over the world, with users on Apple's site posting from the U.S., the U.K., Turkey, Australia, China and more.

It's currently unknown whether the error message is simply related to the influx of traffic on Apple's servers with users looking to download Mountain Lion, or whether incorrect codes were in fact sent out to customers.

Up-to-Date

Users posting on Apple's forums say they were told by company representatives that the issue should be resolved anywhere between 24 and 72 hours. Some others in various threads were apparently told that they will be sent a new redemption code from Apple to address the issue.

Customers who bought a new Mac on June 11 or later are eligible to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion through the Mac App Store. Customers must request their copy of Mountain Lion from Apple's website before August 24, 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

IT'S THE FIRST DAY. You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now. There's no bonus for having it on the first day. 

Chill out. 

It's a randomly generated number and if traffic is high sometimes the system hits the same number twice before one instance  invalidates the code and blocks it from going to someone else. 

If you got one of the errors just contact them and then chill out while they fix it. 

• Reply 2 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not good. Such things can be very frustrating.

PS: At some point I think Mac OS X cost to the number of Macs sold will make it advantageous for Apple to change Mac accounting and just give away major OS X updates like they do with iOS.
  • Reply 3 of 136
    charlituna wrote: »
    IT'S THE FIRST DAY. You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now. There's no bonus for having it on the first day. 

Chill out. 

It's a randomly generated number and if traffic is high sometimes the system hits the same number twice before one instance  invalidates the code and blocks it from going to someone else. 

If you got one of the errors just contact them and then chill out while they fix it. 

It's still frustrating for users. It gets even worse if you think the code you have has been stolen (because that is what people will naturally think).
  • Reply 4 of 136
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I find that image of the Mountain Lion very menacing. If was hiking around here in SoCal and came around a corner to see a ML with that expression, it would be rather terrifying.

I don't know why I was never bothered by the other cats, maybe it is because we actually do have these cats roaming around here. In Central America we have Jaguars but they are almost never seen. Perhaps because they are nocturnal.

• Reply 5 of 136
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Yes, I had this issue, too. Fortunately, since I had the Developer Preview, the current build already showed up in my Purchases. Hopefully I still get the "correct" code in a day or two, just so I can be sure it registered.

• Reply 6 of 136

I submitted my up-to-date request more than two hours ago - and haven't yet received a code at all. Anyone else having this problem?

• Reply 7 of 136
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not good. Such things can be very frustrating.
    PS: At some point I think Mac OS X cost to the number of Macs sold will make it advantageous for Apple to change Mac accounting and just give away major OS X updates like they do with iOS.

Very frustrating indeed. I know it's fairly minor not to get ML right away, but my experience with this RMBP hasn't been good, and I do realize my case is unique and probably very uncommon. Nevertheless...

Wait long time to get the machine. Then wait to get the replacement screen ordered in and installed due to screen defect appearing after 3 weeks. Then have to wait a second time at the Genius bar to have them tighten the screws since apparently after installing the replacement screen, they didn't do it properly and the screw were protruding and causing creaking. Now have to wait for their system to work properly so I can download ML.

Their quality control has been very unimpressive. I hope this saga soon ends.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    tdg911tdg911 Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Chill out. 

"sometimes the system hits the same number twice before one instance invalidates...."  I just have two questions here:  1) Why would a single submit hit the system twice? and 2) How do you know their process of issuing redemption codes?  All of my calls to an API only hits once and only once (providing the user  taps/clicks it once),  so twice I'm not buying that theory...  

It's not to say that we have to "have" it today but it can be frustrating if you let it get to you.  Just move on, write your emails to the support folks and they will get it worked out.

• Reply 9 of 136
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    acknight wrote: »
    I submitted my up-to-date request more than two hours ago - and haven't yet received a code at all. Anyone else having this problem?

I think they likely stopped sending new codes since so many of first batch of codes were failing. I'd imagine they would want to sort that out before resuming with the delivery of these redemption codes.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member

I signed up, got a response within 30 minutes, the code worked fine, and I'm downloading Mountain Lion now.

• Reply 11 of 136
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I think I'll wait a week for the bug reports and let the other users be the guinea pigs.

• Reply 12 of 136
    I too have been waiting for a code which has not showed. I don't know why they couldn't have issued these on my purchase receipt. Seems like a nobrainer to me.
  • Reply 13 of 136

Agreed. I am on the phone right now with Apple. It has nothing to do with being first as someone posted. It is about Apple making sure this launch goes off without a hitch. A bunch of invalid redeem codes is an embarrassment and another product launch black eye. Hell, it's only 20 dollars. I can buy it if I want but I don't want to.

• Reply 14 of 136
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Some clown on the Apple discussion forum blamed the problem on Tim Cook; he rushed out Mountain Lion to cover-up for the 'poor' earnings call.  LMAO, the trolls never cease to amaze.  Get a grip - you'll get your Mountain Lion.  

• Reply 15 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conlopez View Post

I too have been waiting for a code which has not showed. I don't know why they couldn't have issued these on my purchase receipt. Seems like a nobrainer to me.

Yeah, I submitted mine a few hours ago, nothing yet.

• Reply 16 of 136
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Agreed. I am on the phone right now with Apple. It has nothing to do with being first as someone posted. It is about Apple making sure this launch goes off without a hitch. A bunch of invalid redeem codes is an embarrassment and another product launch black eye. Hell, it's only 20 dollars. I can buy it if I want but I don't want to.

Millions might flawlessly update (I'm one of them) but if a small number of very vocal people have temporary issues (which happens 100% of the time at every single software product launch in history from every company on earth) then its a 'product launch black eye'. Some of you people need to get some damn perspective. Nothing will ever go completely smoothly for every single person, and if thats your definition of 'without a hitch' then thats a standard that has never been and will never be hit. We're talking about millions of variables, people on differnt hardware, configurations, setups, updating an entire OS thats composed of millions of lines of codes, and a backbone thats supposed to deal with a massive amount of server load at once while processing redemption codes, etc.

Shit happens, and one doesn't need to pretend its some onerous sign about Apple or sensationalize about ineptitude. So far, this has been the fastest, smoothest OS upgrade in my life, and the OS itself seems rock solid.  You can't get it this second? Have some damn patience and wait a day, it JUST LAUNCHED. You survived without it yesterday, and all days before that, you can do so for a few more hours instead of bitching and moaning on messageboards while pretending your time is so valuable and you're so inconvenienced by this. Maybe some of you were born yesterday, but I remember older Mac OS launched, many of which were a complete nightmare. Every launch since has been smoother and more predictable. This is a general response not just to you, but other whining, entitled posts I've seen. I don't know how you guys get through actual real challenges in life, if this kind of thing makes you so enraged. 

• Reply 17 of 136
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I think I'll wait a week for the bug reports and let the other users be the guinea pigs.

I'm thinking 10.8.1 might even be a worthwhile wait.

• Reply 18 of 136
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Some clown on the Apple discussion forum blamed the problem on Tim Cook; he rushed out Mountain Lion to cover-up for the 'poor' earnings call.  LMAO, the trolls never cease to amaze.  Get a grip - you'll get your Mountain Lion.  

They do make you look at the world in ways you never thought were imaginable. I'm still not sure if it's beneficial to see the world through the eyes of someone so disjointed but it is interesting, to say the least.
  • Reply 19 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard4339 View Post

Yeah, I submitted mine a few hours ago, nothing yet.

So, out of curiosity, I just went to the Apple Support site and entered my serial there to see what info they had on mine. It asked me for the purchase date there because Apple didn't have that information (I didn't buy mine from Apple directly). So, I wonder if the people who got codes immediately bought from Apple directly?

No clue if that's the case, just a thought.

• Reply 20 of 136
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member

it's not a single submit causing the problem.

user1 hits instance1 and is issued code1

user2 hits instance2 and is issued code1 (again) 

because the arrival rate of new requests happens faster than instance1 can tell instance2 that the number has been issued.

it's a race condition.

probably only happens for 1 of a 1000 requests.