Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Comments

• Reply 101 of 182
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    [RIGHT][/RIGHT]
    Ah finally the download is completed and there is only 20 more minutes to finish the install!
  • Reply 102 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In the Mac App Store, where you've always been able to.

Or here:

Um, OK, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't find any download info in App store or in LaunchPad other than a progress bar.

• Reply 103 of 182
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    It's Christmas in the walled garden!! With all the Apple stories today, all the Grinch's won't know where to start trolling.

Don't shout it out to loud!
    Usually the trolls come creeping in between dusk and dawn.
  • Reply 104 of 182
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Um, OK, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't find any download info in App store or in LaunchPad other than a progress bar.

Ah, okay, I guess they added that in Mountain Lion.

Interestingly enough, that doesn't work for system updates, which are through the Mac App Store as of Mountain Lion. Their progress doesn't show up there, and while you can quit the Mac App Store for application updates, system updates force you to keep the Mac App Store open.

• Reply 105 of 182
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

i'm still on snow leopard.  i'll be upgrading several machines to ML.  is the download/install process the same as it was for lion, insofar as you can download once, save the installer, and then copy it to the other machines to be upgraded?   (as opposed to downloading it on every machine)

• Reply 106 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Did you load himem.sys?

That's DOS you fool! He's on one of those Mac computers I saw on TV.

• Reply 107 of 182
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member

I agree.

I bought a new macbook air on 6/29.

they should not make new purchasers wait like second class citizens just because they are getting a free upgrade.  Not to mention hoops you have to jump thru like several forms and uploading receipts as "proof of purchase".  just for $20 courtesy download. 

They are a huge technology company - they can't check their own copies of invoices?

But some people here just blame the consumers......lord knows apple cannot ever make a mistake.

• Reply 108 of 182
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

But some people here just blame the consumers......lord knows apple cannot ever make a mistake.

And lord knows people cannot fail to bitch about the silliest things.

• Reply 109 of 182
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, okay, I guess they added that in Mountain Lion.

Interestingly enough, that doesn't work for system updates, which are through the Mac App Store as of Mountain Lion. Their progress doesn't show up there, and while you can quit the Mac App Store for application updates, system updates force you to keep the Mac App Store open.

To be honest, it took me a while to figure out to view the progress in the Mac App Store, because it was never an issue before.  I'd buy something, and it would just download fairly quickly, and so on.  It never occurred to me to check Purchases, before.

• Reply 110 of 182
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I find it really annoying.  Sorry if you think it's silly.

• Reply 111 of 182
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    enjourni wrote: »
    katonah wrote: »
    I find it really annoying.  Sorry if you think it's silly.

It is annoying. It's pretty trivial and I don't mind waiting- but the clowns saying its the consumers fault are ridiculous.
  • Reply 112 of 182
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Well all this waiting is bull****.

I'll stick with OS X 10.0 Developer Preview 1, thanks. 

• Reply 113 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Just click on the  'Purchases' icon at the top of the App Store.

Mine is currently showing 1.52 GB of 4.34 Gb - 2 hours 4 minutes

• Reply 114 of 182

VMware 4 should works fine http://roaringapps.com/app:61

• Reply 115 of 182

Well it looks like my MacPro is too old so I'll have to wait for Apple to upgrade my hardware before we upgrade the software.

When will Apple get around to upgrading my Mac?

flick.

• Reply 116 of 182
    donw35donw35 Posts: 30member

updated on 2011 MacMini, download took 20 minutes, install took 30 minutes, so far everything works.

first thing I tested was VMware fusion as this is one of my main apps I use for work, My Windows 7 and Linux VM's work fine, even a little faster.

Windows 7 works faster in a VM on a Mac mini then it does on a dedicated HP laptop. 

• Reply 117 of 182
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

What is compelling about ML?

• Reply 118 of 182
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

What is compelling about ML?

It's not Windows 8.

• Reply 119 of 182
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    darkvader wrote: »

You are unbelievably lucky, considering that several releases since then were known to cause data loss.

10.8 does seem to be ok, other than failing to fix two critical bugs from 10.7 - PowerPC apps are still broken, and the arrows at the end of the scroll bars are still missing.  Those are real showstoppers as far as many of my customers are concerned, since they're more concerned with actually being able to work than with the new eye candy.
    Those aren't bugs. They're permanent changes to the system. No more PPC apps and no more arrows. You need to tell your clients to either stay with Snow Leopard on old hardware or get with the program on new hardware.
  • Reply 120 of 182
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Installed in about 40 min with no obvious issues.  However it did seem to decide that it didn't like the backups on my time capsule and deleted not only the backup for the machine i upgraded, but for the other two machines in my house.  I find this kind of annoying.  I would be truly upset if I hadn't intended to do the same thing to them after I had upgraded them all.  However now I also have to re-backup the other two machines before the upgrade since their backups are gone as well.

It is snappy however.