Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Comments

• Reply 121 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Just click on the  'Purchases' icon at the top of the App Store.

Mine is currently showing 1.52 GB of 4.34 Gb - 2 hours 4 minutes

Thanks! I never would have looked there, figuring I haven't completed the purchase yet, so it wouldn't be there. I R from IT, DUHHHH! ;)

• Reply 122 of 182

Well that sucks. I got the installer downloaded and when I tried to run it it said it couldn't verify it and that I had to DL it again! RATS!

• Reply 123 of 182
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    In the Mac App Store, where you've always been able to.

Or here:

Wow! Totally sweet Dock. What mod/skin is that?
  • Reply 124 of 182
    That's DOS you fool! He's on one of those Mac computers I saw on TV.

LOL. I know it's DOS. That was the joke. Man, the good ol' days of Himem.Sys. BTW Windows 8 is garbage, tried it out, did my tax return thingy, then nuked it. Game over Microsoft.
  • Reply 125 of 182
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    andysol wrote: »
    It is annoying. It's pretty trivial and I don't mind waiting- but the clowns saying its the consumers fault are ridiculous.

In most cases that I have seen, it is. So far this morning I have had three clients call complaining that they got error messages or in another two how long it was taking.

Knowing their set up and the fact they had the problem with Lion, it was caused by either their local ISP was being hit hard or worse their so-called "high-speed" service they had was just above dial up. For the latter, I had been trying to get them to upgrade, but they didn't want to spend the extra monies.
  • Reply 126 of 182
    I might wait till my 2am off peak to begin downloading.
  • Reply 127 of 182
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member

Question (since I have not yet downloaded).  

Am I able to make the installer thumb drive as I did with Lion?  If so, do I need an 8GB stick again? 

Also, when I installed Lion I did a clean install and then restored my backup information from my Time Machine backup (actually, I remember now that it restored it to Snow Leapord, and then I had to upgrade again, but my backup reinstalled   as a clean install (i.e. drive was not fragmented).  If I do not do a reinstall, does the upgrade also defragment my drive (if that makes sense)?

I imagine that my process will be:

download, save installer to thumb drive.

install and do a time machine backup

wipe drive and do a clean install

restore backup

move on with my life.

is there an easier way to do this?

• Reply 128 of 182

Well, I'm annoyed now.

Just installed Mountain Lion on my Late 2010 iMac.

Its at the Apple Logo and all hard disk activity just stops. Grey screen, little spinning icon. I've never had a problem with a new OS X system before but first time for everything. :-(

• Reply 129 of 182

IF YOU USE LIVESTREAM PROCASTER, DO NOT INSTALL MOUNTAIN LION OR REMOVE LIVESTREAM FULLY BEFORE INSTALLTING THE NEW OSX.

Mountain Lion fails to load the livestream kexts at boot up and causes the system to halt.

Livestream killed my computer again, oh what a shock /S

• Reply 130 of 182
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

Question (since I have not yet downloaded).  

Am I able to make the installer thumb drive as I did with Lion?  If so, do I need an 8GB stick again? 

Also, when I installed Lion I did a clean install and then restored my backup information from my Time Machine backup (actually, I remember now that it restored it to Snow Leapord, and then I had to upgrade again, but my backup reinstalled   as a clean install (i.e. drive was not fragmented).  If I do not do a reinstall, does the upgrade also defragment my drive (if that makes sense)?

I imagine that my process will be:

download, save installer to thumb drive.

install and do a time machine backup

wipe drive and do a clean install

restore backup

move on with my life.

is there an easier way to do this?

Yes, you would need an 8GB flash drive. See How to Burn OS X Mountain Lion to a USB Flash Drive. I believed I used Disk Utility when I created my flash drive for Lion.

Hope this helps.

• Reply 131 of 182
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

Well it looks like my MacPro is too old so I'll have to wait for Apple to upgrade my hardware before we upgrade the software.

When will Apple get around to upgrading my Mac?

flick.

I doubt they will be coming to your house to upgrade your system anytime soon :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

10.8 does seem to be ok, other than failing to fix two critical bugs from 10.7 - PowerPC apps are still broken, and the arrows at the end of the scroll bars are still missing.  Those are real showstoppers as far as many of my customers are concerned, since they're more concerned with actually being able to work than with the new eye candy.

I'm sorry, but if you have been telling your clients that is a bug and not a change at the heart of the OS (remova lof all PPC code, when every review and the Wikipedia entry for Lion clearly states this), then you are an idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Wow! Totally sweet Dock. What mod/skin is that?

Believe that is the new standard Dock

• Reply 132 of 182
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Post the release of any OS you can't get the previous one at the stores. And the free Snow Leopard for Mobile Me members was online only cause you had to log into your mobile me account. Which was very clearly spelled out in the emails they sent out, on the site etc

Sounds like the 'not a Genius' in this case was you. Not the store. 

It doesn't matter if they had the previous release, the point is they didn't provide me any smooth upgrade path.  The Mobile Me thing was not even available until much later.  I expect more from a "Genius", in fact he told me I have to upgrade through ever release and accused me of trying to scam Apple for not upgrading every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But only for those that had Mobile Me accounts. Everyone else had to pay and they weren't told that come a year later they would be able to jump over Lion so they 'wasted' $40 getting that installer when they could have just paid $20 for Snow Leopard and waited. 

Well I was just frustrated I had to install the entire OS just to get the MAS, which was a completely different strategy from iTunes.  I shouldn't have to buy a shopping cart just so I could buy groceries!  In some circles, this "tied coercive selling" is actually illegal.

• Reply 133 of 182
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

Can anyone help.  I've currently got ML GM installed.  When I went to buy the retail version from the App Store, it warned that "Mountain Lion is currently installed on the system, are you sure you want to download?"  I pressed YES and purchase it, but instead of downloading, the status turned to DOWNLOADED immediately.  Then nothing happens.  

So if I want to reinstall this retail version, do I have to do a clean install? 

• Reply 134 of 182
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    "customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012."

Does a refurbished MBP bought directly from Apple qualify? I know, not new, but can't hurt to ask?
  • Reply 135 of 182
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

"customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012."

Does a refurbished MBP bought directly from Apple qualify? I know, not new, but can't hurt to ask?

Yes

• Reply 136 of 182

"I have to test on EVERY friggin version of Windows and IE, Including IE6 ( blech )"

image IE 6 is long dead! I haven't developed for IE 6, 7 for many years now. What country do you live in?

• Reply 137 of 182
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member

I have a Macbook aluminum 2ghz intel core 2 duo with 8 gb ram, nvidia 9400m 256mb and everything is running incredibly slooooww. Even opening up system preferences and opening up a panel takes 30 seconds to over a minute. 

...OK, now I just realized that Spotlight is indexing my 500GB hard drive. Probably what is making everything so slooooow. I will let it sit for a while. Bon voyage!

• Reply 138 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

LOL. I know it's DOS. That was the joke. Man, the good ol' days of Himem.Sys. BTW Windows 8 is garbage, tried it out, did my tax return thingy, then nuked it. Game over Microsoft.

I was joking as well b:

• Reply 139 of 182

Hi all!

From Sweden here's a big smile because of  - week numbers in Calender - I know it's a small thing but, hey I wanted this and sent requests to Apple way way back...:)

Feedback from the install as such is  - hey  - Smoooth!

Cheers guys -and girls!

For your info, I've been following this site since 19... something, and it is a pleasure and big fun to read all of your inputs.

Take care all!

Mac rulez! ( I know it banal)

/Kjelle 

• Reply 140 of 182
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Can anyone with QuickTime Pro installed confirm that the Loop function works?