iWork, iPhoto, iMovie & Aperture receive updates for Apple's Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Stuff these lame "baby" updates. I want a new version of iWork and I want it now. 4 years and counting. It's just pathetic.

• Reply 22 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Stuff these lame "baby" updates. I want a new version of iWork and I want it now. 4 years and counting. It's just pathetic.

Can you list a bullet point of features missing in the current iWork, that you'd like in a new version? I'm honestly curious. It's a word processing app. What exactly is it missing? I'm always blown away by people that want something new yet can't even articulate why. 

• Reply 23 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Can you list a bullet point of features missing in the current iWork, that you'd like in a new version? I'm honestly curious. It's a word processing app. What exactly is it missing? I'm always blown away by people that want something new yet can't even articulate why. 

Apple could start by giving us the draw and light database programs that should be there. They were in Appleworks for which iWork was supposed to be a replacement. Jobs declared they would get to one program a year. They finished these three and they've been pretty much rotting on the vine since then.

• Reply 24 of 41

does anybody know if the iphoto 9.3.2 update fixes the migration issue from 9.2.3 to 9.3.1? Right now Im just gonna restore my mac back when iphoto 9.2.3 worked perfectly and upgrade to lion from there. I had problems of under faces the tiles wouldn't show the faces, also I seem to have many duplicate images as well.

• Reply 25 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Stuff these lame "baby" updates.

For all Aperture's vast superiority in organization features, Apple really can't afford to keep making updates like this to it, which mostly have little to do with its functionality except dealing with bugs and making it snappier (as in less sluggish).  When I was faced with getting a 3rd party noise reduction plugin that cost nearly as much as picking up LR I did the latter, and while I'm still Aperture first, LR second, LR's image tools are generally all superior and less buggy, and some, such as its lens correction and noise reduction, are meaning I go straight to LR and don't look back.  The use ratio keeps tipping.

I'm happy having good affordable tools whatever they are, but Aperture is no longer my given "go to" RAW DAM.  Just got tired of waiting.

• Reply 26 of 41
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    charlituna wrote: »
    That said, I actually do wish they would overhaul iWork a little. I would rather have the slide out tool panel of iPhoto than the pop out boxes of iWork (inspector, fonts etc). At least as a UI option. Those that really like the pop ups could always select to go back to 'classic' like you can in Mail. 

iWork allows you to have multiple inspectors up simultaneously (which can be handy, particularly in Keynote). Not sure how that would work out with slide-out panels.
    gooneryoda wrote: »
    Lightroom is better than Aperture

Except that it isn't.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

It's too bad these are '09 apps.

Where's iWork '13, Apple?

• Reply 28 of 41
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member

Quote:

If the thing was that important, and there was an actual DEMAND for that feature, I'm sure Apple would have implemented it. As it stands now, I've never even thought of this, nor has it been in any other photo managing/editing program I've used that I know of.  Love the reasonable, grounded perspective. 

While I totally disagree that the program is "Useless" without it, it's not an unheard of option. It's in Aperture. It's useful when putting pictures from multiple cameras into chronological order, in order to use in a different program. Definitely a niche use, but useful.

• Reply 29 of 41

As far as I can tell, the update to numbers has no iCloud support at all.  The share menu still includes iWork.com and there is no mention of iCloud anywhere in the app.

EDIT:  The same goes for Pages and Keynote.  This update does NOT add iCloud support.  Either the press has it wrong or Apple botched the update.

EDIT:  I guess the iCloud support only applies to those who upgrade to Mountain Lion, though I can think of no technical reason why that should be so.  Seems a bit suspicious to me.

• Reply 30 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    slurpy wrote: »

Agreed, he is a bit of a moaner.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    trumptman wrote: »

Apple could start by giving us the draw and light database programs that should be there. They were in Appleworks for which iWork was supposed to be a replacement. Jobs declared they would get to one program a year. They finished these three and they've been pretty much rotting on the vine since then.

Apple should suck Filemaker back inside. Improve, upgrade and integrate and then make the prices reasonable.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

While I totally disagree that the program is "Useless" without it, it's not an unheard of option. It's in Aperture. It's useful when putting pictures from multiple cameras into chronological order, in order to use in a different program. Definitely a niche use, but useful.

It's one of those abilities that makes perfect sense to be in Aperture and not iPhoto.  It's easily doable but where to draw the line?

Besides, IIRC, there are several ways using metadata utilities and scripts to do this.

• Reply 33 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    charlituna wrote: »
    So where are the haters to scream about no iWork 2012 and iLife 2012. Weren't they demanding that Apple overhaul the programs and charge us all over again or the programs are crap. 
    Of the three Numbers needs lots of work to even begin to pass as a professional spreadsheet. Pages isn't too bad but could use some updating. So the calls for a full overhaul are justified.
    did they finally figure out that there's really no overwhelming need to overhaul any of them and that these 'baby updates' for free are actually a better way to go (cause they are free). I sure hope so
    We could debate the need for a major update forever but lets just say most disagree with you.

As to the free minor updates nothing is wrong with them.
    That said, I actually do wish they would overhaul iWork a little. I would rather have the slide out tool panel of iPhoto than the pop out boxes of iWork (inspector, fonts etc). At least as a UI option. Those that really like the pop ups could always select to go back to 'classic' like you can in Mail. 
    Then you contradict yourself!

IWork is a great little package but it does have weak spots. There is nothing wrong with wanting the suite fleshed out. Even these minor updates will be appreciated by many and embraced by a few more. However they are about iCloud functionality not root features. I suspect many of us will in fact be happy with the updates we got today, that however doesn't mean that Numbers couldnt use a make over.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed, he is a bit of a moaner.

I resent that comment. I speak my mind. If you can't do that in a forum like this what is the point. At least I'm not an iSheep.

• Reply 35 of 41
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

Lightroom is better than Aperture

Except for those who prefer Aperture. (I think Lightroom 4 has some nice features that aren't currently in Aperture, but in general still prefer Aperture.)

• Reply 36 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannesR View Post

(2) Yes, iOS Pages and ML Pages are integrated: You can have the document open on both and updates will be reflected every 20 seconds or so.

How does it works on Mac ? Does Pages asks where to save docs i.e. iCloud or local folder ? Or any other mechanism...

Is it seeing and recognizing the already 'iClouded' docs from iOS ?

thanks

• Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

You're right, it's completely useless. I, and millions of others (probably 99.9% of the users of this program) have never needed and don't care about this point, but because you do the program is rendered 'useless'.  If the thing was that important, and there was an actual DEMAND for that feature, I'm sure Apple would have implemented it. As it stands now, I've never even thought of this, nor has it been in any other photo managing/editing program I've used that I know of.  Love the reasonable, grounded perspective. 

ok, thanks for the constructive comment.  The only use of iphoto for me is importing pictures off my iphone, which is a problem since this feature [importing pictures with date of creation as file name] doesn't exist. Love your troll comment that adds nothing to the forum conversation.

• Reply 38 of 41
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

My Pages and Numbers apps are not updating under OS X 10.8. The only software updates I had available were for iPhoto and iMovie. I really want the improved iCloud integration to sync with my iPad.. am I the only one who isn't able to get the update? I have iWork '09 installed. 

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

My Pages and Numbers apps are not updating under OS X 10.8. The only software updates I had available were for iPhoto and iMovie. I really want the improved iCloud integration to sync with my iPad.. am I the only one who isn't able to get the update? I have iWork '09 installed. 

You've got to get the manual iWork 9.2 update here!  

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

• Reply 40 of 41
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

You've got to get the manual iWork 9.2 update here!  

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

Hmm, it said "Keynote is not available in Applications/ iWork '09" when I tried to do the manual install, and quit. I have all my apps in the Applications folder instead. I Created an iWork '09 Folder and put the three applications into it and the updater worked fine. Very unApple like! Since when do we rely on specific directories? Maybe that is why the automatic updater never worked? Thanks for the link btw!