Apple's iPad grows to 68% of global tablet shipments in Q2 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A total of 25 million tablets were shipped worldwide in the second quarter of 2012 as Apple's iPad increased its market share, accounting for 68 percent of all shipments.

Apple's share of the worldwide tablet market was its highest level in almost two years, according to the latest research from Strategy Analytics released on Wednesday. Driven by the iPad, global tablet shipments grew 67 percent year over year in the second quarter.

Apple announced on Tuesday that it sold 17 million iPads in the quarter, which represented an 84 percent increase from the same period a year prior. Total Android tablets during the same period were estimated at 7.3 million by Strategy Analytics.

That gave Apple a 68.3 percent share of all tablets shipped worldwide, more than doubling Android's 29.3 percent share of shipped devices. Microsoft, which is banking on the launch of Windows 8 later this year to help it make a splash in the tablet space, held just 1.2 percent of the market.

"Despite high expectations for companies like Amazon, Samsung, Acer and Asus, the Android community has yet to make a serious dent in Apple?s dominance of the tablet market," said Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics. "Unspectacular hardware designs, limited uptake of cellular models and a modest number of tablet-optimized services have been among some of the main reasons for Android?s mixed performance so far."

Tablets

Android's presence in the market is expected to grow with the launch of the Google Nexus 7, a newly launched 7-inch touchscreen tablet priced at $199, which is half what Apple charges for its entry-level $399 iPad 2.

Microsoft will also make a big push against Apple's iPad this fall, when it releases its own tablet hardware, dubbed Surface, which will be based on low-power ARM processors like the iPad and Android tablets. The Microsoft Surface will run a special version of Windows 8 designed to operate with ARM CPUs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's odd that I don't see one Android-based tablet for every 2 iPads.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's odd that I don't see one Android-based tablet for every 2 iPads.

Yeah, well, we all know that "shipments" is an entirely meaningless number, especially when your sell through is "quite smooth". If you want to know real tablet market share, the web stats are the best indicator.

• Reply 3 of 28
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I can hardly wait to see what happens when the WindowsRD * tablets ship...

* Reference Design

I suppose we'll need to come up with some new acronyms to replace WART and WIPT image

• Reply 4 of 28

Check out Orderborder.com every day for great deals at wholesale prices on all your Apple gear!!

http://www.orderborder.com/deal.php?deal=Mjc0

• Reply 5 of 28
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

This is a lie these are "in channel" whereas Ipads are sold to customer

the actual percentage in hands of customer is closer to 90%. and don't get me started on the Kindle Fire brick and so on

• Reply 6 of 28
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

that is because those Android  stats show  they are in the distribution channel not in hands of customer, This has been pointed out before ad nauseum

• Reply 7 of 28
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    paul94544 wrote: »

the actual percentage in hands of customer is closer to 90%. and don't get me started on the Kindle Fire brick and so on

that is because those Android stats show they are in the distribution channel not in hands of customer, This has been pointed out before ad nauseum

Android tablets have been on the market for a long time. Where are they all going? Every 3 months we get new marketshare numbers. What happened to the Android tablets from the previous quarter? Are they still the same ones in the channel this quarter?

My question is... do Android tablet manufacturers keep shipping tablets to stores if no one bought the previous supply? Or do stores stop placing orders if their previous stock hasn't sold?

Wouldn't we hear about massive quantities of tablets being shipped back to the manufacturer for scrap?

Someone's got to be buying them... right?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Android tablets have been on the market for a long time. Where are they all going? Every 3 months we get new marketshare numbers. What happened to the Android tablets from the previous quarter? Are they still the same ones in the channel this quarter?

My question is... do Android tablet manufacturers keep shipping tablets to stores if no one bought the previous supply? Or do stores stop placing orders if their previous stock hasn't sold?

Wouldn't we hear about massive quantities of tablets being shipped back to the manufacturer for scrap?

Someone's got to be buying them... right?

Perhaps we wouldn't hear about scrapping. But we would hear about write-downs (e.g. RIM and HP).  I doubt iPad's real share is 90%. But I also doubt it's only 68%.

• Reply 9 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, well, we all know that "shipments" is an entirely meaningless number, especially when your sell through is "quite smooth". If you want to know real tablet market share, the web stats are the best indicator.

Also to be factored in is that even Android 'sold' tablets can be tossed aside when they don't live up to expectations. I'm guessing every single iPad 1 is still in action being handed down from dad to mom to kid to grandma whatever.

• Reply 10 of 28
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

To be honest, Apple tries to maintain a channel inventory of 4-6 weeks for its products...

So, if the channel inventory for a period of time (like a quarter) remains constant, the new shipments can be counted as sell-through because they include replenishment of channel inventory depleted by sales to end users.

I know how Apple does it... Apple does not stuff the channel -- Other mfgrs (especially the smooth ones), I suspect, do!

• Reply 11 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast." Alexander Pope.

• Reply 12 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

68%? Is this like the same as how  almost everyone I see with a smartphone has an iPhone, yet any marketshare # I see doesn't reflect that? I'm not even talking about my current environment. I travel alot, and literally 90% of the phones I see people using in airports/airplanes are iPhones. 

• Reply 13 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    68%? Is this like the same as how  almost everyone I see with a smartphone has an iPhone, yet any marketshare # I see doesn't reflect that? I'm not even talking about my current environment. I travel alot, and literally 90% of the phones I see people using in airports/airplanes are iPhones. 

That's no mystery.

People who travel (either for business or pleasure) typically have money. People with money are more likely to buy iPhones and that's the type of people you're likely to see in airports or airplanes.

The high school kids and college dropouts living in their parents' basement tend to buy Android phones.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can hardly wait to see what happens when the WindowsRD * tablets ship...

* Reference Design

I suppose we'll need to come up with some new acronyms to replace WART and WIPT image

These are the *alleged* prices:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-surface-price-outed-on-swedish-retail-website

• Reply 15 of 28
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

If you travel outside North America, the picture is very different. I would say I'd see 30% to 50% of smartphones are iPhones in Hong Kong (was there last week), 10% Blackberry, a handful of WP7, and lots of crappy Android phones (though I started to notice lots of GS3s and Notes). As for tablets, there are A LOT of crappy Android tablets around. I would say 68% iPads wouldn't be too far off for HK, just because if someone wanted a tablet, they have a lot of cheap Android ones to choose from.

• Reply 16 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's no mystery.

People who travel (either for business or pleasure) typically have money. People with money are more likely to buy iPhones and that's the type of people you're likely to see in airports or airplanes.

The high school kids and college graduates living in their parents' basement tend to buy Android phones.

Fixed that for you. :)

• Reply 17 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

The rise of non-Apple tablet “shipments” is a great boon to the Warehouse, Quarry and Large Hole industry.

• Reply 18 of 28
    atanneratanner Posts: 36member

You'll see way more Android users if you skip the airport and take the bus.

• Reply 19 of 28
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

You'll see way more Android users if you skip the airport and take the bus.

Ouch!  :D

• Reply 20 of 28
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

So with the numbers in, can we stop saying Apple NEEDS a 7 inch tablet to compete with the army of Mini Cheap Plastic Android Tablets that are "eating the iPad's lunch."

An iPad Mini might be nice for variety but it's not a necessity for Apple. Never was never will be.