Apple OS X Lion pulled as Mountain Lion rolls out

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Why not just burn one yourself, now?  Isn't there some built-in utility that allows you to do that?

Disk Utility. Just find the InstallESD.dmg and you can restore it to a SL-DVD.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Honestly, any machine incapable of running Mountain Lion is probably better off with Snow Leopard.  Snow Leopard was one mean, lean version of Mac OS X, and the last vestige of PowerPC app access.  

Lion changed a lot of things and people just had to slug through it and learn.  Hopefully Mountain Lion will ease some of Lion's pain the way Snow Leopard did for Leopard, but if you can't run Mountain Lion and haven't upgraded to Lion yet, I say stay on Snow Leopard and enjoy yourself.  You even get iCloud.

As was mentioned previously, iCloud doesn't work with Snow Leopard and barring an unannounced change to Apple policy - new security updates to Snow Leopard just died today when Mountain Lion went live.

Because Apple has changed the rate at which its releasing its OS updates for Mac, but has not changed the policy for supporting past OS's for security updates (has always been the most recent two OS releases), folks that can't get Lion are now getting pushed out of the house for security updates even though the 2nd OS (Lion) is only a year old.

This is something that needs to be changed so that Apple supports OS security updates based on time instead of OS releases (since those are now happening much, much faster).

Folks who have Lion compatible Mac's but not ML compatible I feel for you if you got caught here, very lame of Apple to pull Lion, they should wait (this is a replay of the Snow Leopard release where Apple dropped PowerPC support in Snow Leopard but immediately pulled all the physical copies of PowerPC compatible Leopard off the shelves at Snow Leopard release and PowerPC Leopard went for prices way over retail on eBay for a long time...).  Apple didn't do a thing to help those folks and I doubt they'll do anything here.

If I was stuck needing Lion I'd ask for help from the community.

• Reply 23 of 86

This is stupid, and pointless.

You have a machine that can't run Mountain Lion, and is still on Snow Leopard (hardly an ancient OS), and you cannot upgrade to Lion. A totally artificial limit with no technical basis at all, imposed on machines that are not so old (from as recently as 2009 in the case of the Mac Mini).

What does Apple gain by doing this? Just dumb.

• Reply 24 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Why not just burn one yourself, now?  Isn't there some built-in utility that allows you to do that?

The whole point of Apple is that they make things easier, not harder on users. This is a case of making things harder, for no good reason.

• Reply 25 of 86
    This is stupid, and pointless.

You have a machine that can't run Mountain Lion, and is still on Snow Leopard (hardly an ancient OS), and you cannot upgrade to Lion. A totally artificial limit with no technical basis at all, imposed on machines that are not so old (from as recently as 2009 in the case of the Mac Mini).

What does Apple gain by doing this? Just dumb.

I don't get what the big deal is. Lion is EOL and you think there will be a huge rush of people going forward that will say, "Gosh darnit! And I was just about to buy Lion from the Mac App Store." The bottom line is that Mac users don't update their systems the way Windows users do. They never have but the disparity become even greater as Mac OS X dropped considerably in price and then became an online download that you could with a click of the button.

That said, I expect Apple has plenty of the USB flash drive versions and will, in time, put them on their refurbished store for whatever oddball and niche reason someone might want to have Lion at the ass end of 2012 or 2013.

PS: What you need to ask yourself is why you think Apple should so much about so few users after this long since Lion's release.
  • Reply 26 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElmore49 View Post

OK, my download was most of the way done, then the App Store said the download could not be completed because an error occurred. My guess is, it took a while for it to disappear from all of the local mirrors.

OK, I tried downloading it from a different Mac at home, still running 10.7 It gave me the "download could not be completed because an error occurred" as before. I quit and relaunched the App Store, and it tried to download the installer again. I didn't want to waste another hour or so, so I quit the App Store.

About 10 minutes later, the installer must have finished downloading completely because I'm working on my Mac, and the Lion Installer window pops up in front of me.

I'm zipping this bad boy up and archiving it. My advice is to give it a couple of tries.

Also, has anyone noticed that the option to view and unhide hidden purchases is now gone from the Account Summary page in the App Store? It was there about 4 hours ago. I wonder if that's an intentional change?

• Reply 27 of 86
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

The whole point of Apple is that they make things easier, not harder on users. This is a case of making things harder, for no good reason.

I too fail to see where's the problem. Do you have any proof that Lion can't be reinstalled via internet recovery like it was until yesterday? I think the situation hasn't changed a bit. It's just that you can't upgrade on old machines (pre 2007), no big deal.

• Reply 28 of 86
    jelmore49 wrote: »
    OK, I tried downloading it from a different Mac at home, still running 10.7 It gave me the "download could not be completed because an error occurred" as before. I quit and relaunched the App Store, and it tried to download the installer again. I didn't want to waste another hour or so, so I quit the App Store.

About 10 minutes later, the installer must have finished downloading completely because I'm working on my Mac, and the Lion Installer window pops up in front of me.

I'm zipping this bad boy up and archiving it.

What are you zipping up? If it's the .app installer note that the .dmg within it, the bulk of its size, it already highly compressed.

My suggestion it to just store it as it on your drive as is (but note that if you use the .app installer it will delete that app after the install). For that reason I suggest a proper backup: locate the InstallESD.dmg file, copy it to your Desktop, rename it to something more informative, open up Disk Utility and restore/burn it to a Flash drive or SL-DVD as a backup. There are plenty of tutorials for this with a simple Google search.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To be clear, you're claiming that if a Mac that is running Lion but can't run ML gets a new HDD or has a drive wiped that it's impossible for the user to get Lion installed even though they've legally paid for it? Is that right?

if so, then I'd like you to try something and you don't have to delete your Lion OS to do it. Download the 1MB Recovery HD installer and put in on a USB flash drive. Now boot into that drive, connect to your WiFI or ethernet. What I expect you'll see is an option to reinstall Lion, not a message asking you to use your CC to pay $20 so you can get ML or saying that you need to buy a new Mac.

I'm not sure if you're being serious with your comments here but you are very off base to connect no longer being sold on the MAS as meaning that it'll no longer be available for those who've already purchased it.

I feel so sorry for you.  It must be hard thinking the way you do.  No imagination.  

Lack of installers for the man who just bought a legacy mac with snow leopard and wants to upgrade to Mountain lion but finds out his used machine is no longer compatible and there for he realizes that Lion is the only os he can upgrade too.  But wait the fucking OS isn't available through the app store where he has purchased all his great Apple Software.  SO he can't purchase Lion through the App store for his great used non Mountain Lion Mac.  How sad.  But wait we have a guy here in this forum that gets the idea all the complainers are making a mole hill into a mountain.  Sad sad man.  He must have bookoo bucks to just buy a new mac and have mountain lion to enjoy unlike the rest of us who love our current macs and cant afford to plunk down 2gs for a new Mac F@cking Pro just to run 10.8.

And it will be called the iPhone 5.  OK.  Not iPhone 6.  We don't go from iPhone 4 to 4s then 6.  Although it will be considered a version 6 it will not be called the iPhone 6.  No matter how hard you try to explain it.  Read this and you will become a seer of understanding. iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 and so on.  Try not to squeeze the iPhone six reasoning out so hard that you end up looking like the one who thinks highly of himself.

• Reply 30 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

No I don't.  And NO macs will not stop working all of a sudden.  You obviously don't get it but hey thats ok allot of others do.  I simply am saying that there are a huge amount of macs that need Lion.  But yet can't run mountain lion.  They need Lion in the future in case of accidental erasure or hard drive failure.

Think you can handle it?

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

• Reply 31 of 86

Quote:

I feel so sorry for you.  It must be hard thinking the way you do.  No imagination.  

Lack of installers for the man who just bought a legacy mac with snow leopard and wants to upgrade to Mountain lion but finds out his used machine is no longer compatible and there for he realizes that Lion is the only os he can upgrade too.  But wait the fucking OS isn't available through the app store where he has purchased all his great Apple Software.  SO he can't purchase Lion through the App store for his great used non Mountain Lion Mac.  How sad.  But wait we have a guy here in this forum that gets the idea all the complainers are making a mole hill into a mountain.  Sad sad man.  He must have bookoo bucks to just buy a new mac and have mountain lion to enjoy unlike the rest of us who love our current macs and cant afford to plunk down 2gs for a new Mac F@cking Pro just to run 10.8.

Wow, a problem that everyone else here can solve for the few pennies it costs to burn a backup Lion Installer DVD, you can't solve without spending 2gs. What were you saying about "No imagination"?

• Reply 32 of 86
    tylerk36 wrote: »

An imagination is thinking about a secret Nazi* base on the dark side of the moon. Insanity is conceiving of a very unlikely scenario and then feigning offense because that rare occurrence where some buys a new Mac that has Snow Leopard, can get Lion but not ML, a seller that didn't install Lion despite the cost of only $29 and a buyer of a new Mac that doesn't even consider the OS it comes with until after he buys it. But that's not all because in your "imagining" a problem you've decided to completely ignore considering a solution or using any critical thinking.

* Not invoking Godwin's Law, just saw this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/
  • Reply 33 of 86

Quote:

What a whiner! Lion is slower than SL anyway on new machines so it's best for old ones for sure.

You just discovered that some things get discontinued... how sad.

I just bought an old Windows 98 computer and I'd like to update to Windows Millenium (such a good operation system ;), but I can't find an install CD anywhere and MS doesn't sell them anymore. It won't run XP!! I think I'm gonna sue.

You can buy a mac Mini + a screen for less than 700, and it'll surely be faster than your old computer AND run 10.8. Again, stop whining.

• Reply 34 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

An imagination is thinking about a secret Nazi* base on the dark side of the moon. Insanity is conceiving of a very unlikely scenario and then feigning offense because that rare occurrence where some buys a new Mac that has Snow Leopard, can get Lion but not ML, a seller that didn't install Lion despite the cost of only $29 and a buyer of a new Mac that doesn't even consider the OS it comes with until after he buys it. But that's not all because in your "imagining" a problem you've decided to completely ignored considering a solution or using any critical thinking. * Not invoking Godwin's Law, just saw this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

You're being too nice with him, he's obviously trolling.

• Reply 35 of 86
    clemynx wrote: »
    What a whiner! Lion is slower than SL anyway on new machines so it's best for old ones for sure.
    You just discovered that some things get discontinued... how sad.

I just bought an old Windows 98 computer and I'd like to update to Windows Millenium (such a good operation system ;), but I can't find an install CD anywhere and MS doesn't sell them anymore. It won't run XP!! I think I'm gonna sue.

You can buy a mac Mini + a screen for less than 700, and it'll surely be faster than your old computer AND run 10.8. Again, stop whining.

You must not have an imagination if you don't think there is no other option but to spend $2,000 on a new Mac. /s
  • Reply 36 of 86

Installer packages (.pkg and .mpkg) files are just folder structures with the bundle flag set.

I've had enough trouble with permissions getting out of whack on the internal bits over the years that I zip up any installer that I'm archiving. It certainly doesn't hurt them to do so. I forgot that the guts of the 10.7 installer are in one big .dmg file, but it's already done.

• Reply 37 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And it will be called the iPhone 5.  OK.

For respect's sake, are you on antipsychotics? I don't want to make fun of you if you have some inherent condition that makes you post absolute nonsense like this:

We don't go from iPhone 4 to 4s then 6.  Although it will be considered a version 6 it will not be called the iPhone 6.  No matter how hard you try to explain it.  Read this and you will become a seer of understanding. iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 and so on.  Try not to squeeze the iPhone six reasoning out so hard that you end up looking like the one who thinks highly of himself.

Particularly since he said absolutely nothing about the name of the next iPhone. I don't believe Solipsism thinks it will be called iPhone 6 any longer. Nor do I.

• Reply 38 of 86
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

According to Macworld, you can still order Lion by calling Apple's store on the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE. http://www.macworld.com/article/1167879/apple_pulls_lion_from_the_mac_app_store.html

• Reply 39 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Ok I will help you understand.  The Lion os was installed at the factory.  When it was installed it made two partitions.  One was a recovery partition and the other was the actual OS.  Now lets say the hard drive takes a dump and all is lost.  Where is the install disc.  There isn't one is there?  Also lets say a person buys Lion and upgrades a non Mountain Lion os compatible mac from Snow Leopard to Lion.  Now lets say they bought the upgrade through the App store.  Lets say the hard drive takes a dump.  Wow where is the installer then.  You cant buy it you cant get it any where unless you torrent the OS installer or have some sort of disc of it that you created.  But wait.  Lets say you install Snow Leo and then run the installer (Lion) from that disc.  Then it checks the App store and your account and says its no longer supported.  Hmm your screwed huh?  If you cant understand this explanation then I have a twenty page version for you.

If the machine came with Lion from the factory then it will boot into recovery mode over the internet and will download Lion even if the HDD is formatted, new, or has no OS installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard and got a new HDD then you can use your Snow Leopard DVD to restore. After you restore to the latest 10.6.8 you can open the Mac App Store, go to purchased, and download Lion again. It is there.

• Reply 40 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

If you already downloaded Lion from the MAS, however, it should also be available in your "Purchased" list, ready for download.