Firmware update enables 'Power Nap' feature for Mid-2011 MacBook Airs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A firmware update pushed out by Apple on Wednesday enables the Power Nap in certain MacBook Air models that were promised the feature but found it missing when OS X Mountain Lion launched earlier in the day.

Apple rolled out the new firmware via Software Update in conjunction with the release of OS X Mountain Lion after the company previously noted Power Nap may not be able to work on certain Macs without such an update.

First outlined in June during Apple's WWDC, Power Nap enables Macs to stay up to date and allows for the automatic backup of data while the machine is sleeping. The automatic refreshing of data, including Time Machine and iCloud syncing, is reportedly silent and power efficient though compatibility is limited to Macs with solid state drives like the MacBook Air.

When OS X Mountain Lion was released earlier in the day, some MacBook Air users noticed that the touted feature was missing. The problem has apparently been remedied in the Software Update which is for some "MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.5 for the MacBook Air."

Power Nap
Source: The Next Web

After the firmware is download through Software Update the Power Nap feature can be found in the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

I am running a 15" MBPr and there are no updates available and Power Nap is not available for me.  Anyone have a direct link to the firmware update?

• Reply 2 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I am running a 15" MBPr and there are no updates available and Power Nap is not available for me.  Anyone have a direct link to the firmware update?

Do you have the MacBook Pro with Retina Display? 

• Reply 3 of 14

Power Nap for MBP with Retina is still "coming soon" according to Apple. I guess we'll just have to wait a little bit longer! 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

• Reply 4 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Answered correctly by [B]Brian92610[/B]. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if a third party company will bring out a utility for this for those of us with slightly older MBPs with self added SSD drives. I am thrilled with AirParrot which has added the missing Air Video play to my mid 2010 MBP i7 running Mountain Lion.

P.s. Is any one else finding their iPad is actually getting worse at auto spelling correction or is it just me?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I think the "new iPad" had spelling corruption from the start.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I wonder if a third party company will bring out a utility for this for those of us with slightly older MBPs with self added SSD drives. I am thrilled with AirParrot which has added the missing Air Video play to my mid 2010 MBP i7 running Mountain Lion.
    P.s. Is any one else finding their iPad is actually getting worse at auto spelling correction or is it just me?

I wonder if it will be feasible. There might something that requires a certain type of HW, not just having an SSD. Even with Apple supplied SSDs it's only the ones with SSD cards which also have the soldered RAM. I can how PowerNap could require a delicate balance in either one or both.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I have to admit, I've read a lot from people on this site that say they will never update this, or never update that program. Supposedly because it was broken in its newest form. The most recent update. So wouldn't this "Power Nap" feature be a bad thing for them? ...and honestly, I do like hearing well thought out responses from all of you folks. I'm confused on this.

Wouldn't there be more people writhing and moaning about this than say, the non-existent 'Matte' phenomenon?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is an excellent observation: I have noticed the same thing. It's like it has stopped 'learning' in any significant way (even stuff from the past)....

• Reply 10 of 14
    This is an excellent observation: I have noticed the same thing. It's like it has stopped 'learning' in any significant way (even stuff from the past)....

I think that's it's just learning to follow our misspellings. They really need an editable DB so we can change that stuff but even on the Mac editing learned spellings is a chore. Apple really falls short here.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Is any one else finding their iPad is actually getting worse at auto spelling correction or is it just me?

Nope, that goes for me as well. And I'd like to add: I would like it to not autocorrect when I'm in the Google search field in Safari. Because I tend to look for stuff that get spelled awkward.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if it will be feasible. There might something that requires a certain type of HW, not just having an SSD. Even with Apple supplied SSDs it's only the ones with SSD cards which also have the soldered RAM. I can how PowerNap could require a delicate balance in either one or both.

It's probably feasible but Apple have decided that it's not worth the engineering effort (ala AirPlay mirroring on 2010 MBPs).

• Reply 13 of 14
    richl wrote: »
    It's probably feasible but Apple have decided that it's not worth the engineering effort (ala AirPlay mirroring on 2010 MBPs).

There is certainly truth in that. Cost to value is an important factor. It's one of the reasons I don't bath in Beluga caviar twice a day.

Now the AirPlay Mirroring I can't see a solid argument for Apple. Perhaps I'm not understanding a technology being used but it looks to me that it's just standard WiFi and protocols that already exist in Mac OS X. So why no AirPlay mirroring? What am I missing on that because that does seem artificial.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    onicononicon Posts: 6member

The magic word is h264 hardware encoding in the graphics processor, that's not available on the prior to 2011 Macs.