Apple OS X Lion pulled as Mountain Lion rolls out

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member

I think Apple should keep at least one OSX version back available on the App store, especially if they are going to drop support for their hardware so quickly.

My four year old MacBook isn't compatible with ML. I didn't know that until ML came out and I was about to upgrade. Luckily, I had already upgraded to Lion, but Apple gave us no warning that they were going to remove it. When they dropped services like Mobile Me etc, Apple informed their customers well in advance. I can't see why they didn't do the same thing here. 

A good quality laptop, especially an Apple laptop, should be able to last 8 years or more. You can still buy copies of XP on disc. A lot of companies still install it on new machines, even though it came out 11 years ago.

Lots of people probably skipped Lion, as the benefits didn't seem that good at the time, but now they know they will never get anything better, they may well want to upgrade. Even if Apple just had Lion available as a download from their website, they should offer a little support for their customers. It wouldn't be difficult for them to do. 

• Reply 62 of 86
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member

Quote:

The lesson here for me is to back up Mountain Lion to disc. You live and learn.

Yeah, all Apple's spin about our cloud based future without reliance on local storage, seems a little disingenuous now doesn't it.

• Reply 63 of 86
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    downpour wrote: »
    Yeah, all Apple's spin about our cloud based future without reliance on local storage, seems a little <span style="font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">disingenuous now doesn't it.</span>

Not really, the future hasn't arrived yet. Let me know when it does.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I feel so sorry for you.  It must be hard thinking the way you do.  No imagination.  

Lack of installers for the man who just bought a legacy mac with snow leopard and wants to upgrade to Mountain lion but finds out his used machine is no longer compatible and there for he realizes that Lion is the only os he can upgrade too.  But wait the fucking OS isn't available through the app store where he has purchased all his great Apple Software.  SO he can't purchase Lion through the App store for his great used non Mountain Lion Mac.  How sad.  But wait we have a guy here in this forum that gets the idea all the complainers are making a mole hill into a mountain.  Sad sad man.  He must have bookoo bucks to just buy a new mac and have mountain lion to enjoy unlike the rest of us who love our current macs and cant afford to plunk down 2gs for a new Mac F@cking Pro just to run 10.8.

And it will be called the iPhone 5.  OK.  Not iPhone 6.  We don't go from iPhone 4 to 4s then 6.  Although it will be considered a version 6 it will not be called the iPhone 6.  No matter how hard you try to explain it.  Read this and you will become a seer of understanding. iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 and so on.  Try not to squeeze the iPhone six reasoning out so hard that you end up looking like the one who thinks highly of himself.

You forgot the iPhone 3G.

• Reply 65 of 86
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why is this unfair?

Why didn't you purchase Lion when you had the opportunity?

I bought Lion (and basically every other version of Mac OS X that has ever been offered) - and have one system remaining that can be upgrade to Lion but has not yet been due to old software that is not compatible. I do intend to upgrade that system eventually, but it cannot take Mountain Lion. I have kept a copy of the 10.7 Installer - so as long as updates from 10.7.0 to 10.7.x are available somehow (or maybe I should stock up on them now) I should be okay. not as convenient as pointing at the App Store and doing it the official way. 

More disruptive for me has been needing to register a domain name and move my website from .mac to my own server. 

• Reply 66 of 86
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElmore49 View Post

OK, my download was most of the way done, then the App Store said the download could not be completed because an error occurred. My guess is, it took a while for it to disappear from all of the local mirrors.

I'm sorry, but that's total BS. I have a perfectly good Mac pro sitting here that can never go to 10.8. Hopefully the Recovery Partition will still let me grab the installer? I hope a have a copy zipped up somewhere. I wonder if my 2012 Mac Mini can get the installer since it came with Lion preloaded?

I have had and read other reports of issues with "corrupt" downloads of Apple software - more frequently with larger files and on day of release. 

There are a number of guides on line showing how to reveal the hidden partition containing the Lion recovery partition on your system - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57366205-263/how-to-restore-a-missing-recovery-hd-partition-in-lion/ ;

Although I am not sure if the preinstalled version is exactly the same as the retail version. In the past the optical disks that have shipped with new systems were not identical to the version in the retail box. That may still be true of the recovery partition. In other words a downloaded retail copy should work on any supported model - but a preinstalled version may only work on a subset of models. 

I do recommend making a backup copy of the recovery partition or your freshly downloaded 10.8 on separate media - since having a recovery partition on the same disk as the working OS is not good if you have a disk failure. Windows system makers have been doing this for years - and I can't even count the number of times I have had to replace a hard drive for a customer where they did not receive physical media and their recovery partition was lost and they had no backup at all. 

• Reply 67 of 86
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Just download it again in the App store as one of your purchases.

But don't expect to purchase it.

I'm running Mountain Lion. Lion appears in my Purchases list, but I'm not allowed to download it because I'm running Mountain Lion. This is a pain as I wanted to download a backup copy for a relative who has an old Macbook Pro that isn't ML compatible. The only valid excuse here is if users with Lion will be able to download Lion indefinitely if needed.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 68 of 86
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why is this unfair?

Why didn't you purchase Lion when you had the opportunity?

If you lose you hard copy of the Lion GM, then . . .  OH WELL. 

Sorry, but "OH WELL" is an unacceptable answer, especially for Apple who have been encouraging everyone to trust their cloud and ditch optical media. Either Lion should be made available indefinitely for users of non-ML compatible Macs, or Apple should prepare one of their carefully planned campaigns to instruct those users to download a backup copy now before it's gone forever. This isn't rocket science. I seriously doubt Apple shares your attitude about this...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 69 of 86
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've never believed the 6th generation iPhone running iOS 6 with an A5 chip with 4th generation cellular tech using the 4th case design would be called an iPhone 6. My stance has been that it will not be called iPhone 5.

The next iPhone will be called "The New iPhone"

• Reply 70 of 86
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member

Extremely pleased with my decision to update my late-2008 Polycarbonate MacBook from Snow Leopard to Lion on July 23rd.  I got in just under the wire.

I really don't care so much about maintaining access to all the latest features.  I only care about the fact that I will continue to receive security updates, at least, for the next year.  Well worth a $30 investment, I think.  Next year I will not have the option to upgrade to Mountain Lion because it isn't compatible with my hardware, so I suppose I'll have some tough decisions to make about its fate then.  But for now, I'm satisfied.

Now, I'll wait and see how long my 32-bit Snow Leopard systems can tough it out, performing primarily offline duties, until unresolved security flaws force me to make a final decision about what new brand of OS I should transition them to.

• Reply 71 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    freediverx wrote: »
    I'm running Mountain Lion. Lion appears in my Purchases list, but I'm not allowed to download it because I'm running Mountain Lion. This is a pain as I wanted to download a backup copy for a relative who has an old Macbook Pro that isn't ML compatible. The only valid excuse here is if users with Lion will be able to download Lion indefinitely if needed.

On your relative Mac use your Apple ID and log in to the Mac App Store and then download and install Lion on his Mac. FYI, by giving your relative your copy of your Lion copy you are breaking the EULA since you don't own that Mac. The legal way to do it is to buy Lion on USB from Amazon before it's gone.. but I he don't want to pay $69+ now!

Apple used to remove previous Mac OS version from their retail stores when they release newer one. Apple never promised anyone that Lion will remain for sale on MAS forever.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) It makes sense to pull it from the store but keep it on the servers for those that have already purchased it, like they do with their App Store apps.
    2) I'm guessing that despite the complaints of not having physical media for Lion which prompted the USB flash drive I'm guessing a very, very, very small number of people actually bought them.

I can't say it was totally necessary, unless you only have cellular data for internet service. Otherwise, it's relatively easy to make your own. There is also an app that makes it two-click easy. I need to buy another stick or two.
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Thats bull shit.  There are plenty of Macs out there that need Lion that are not compatible with 10.8.  So what are we supposed to do?  Torrent Lion so we can get a so called pirated copy?  Apple needs to keep Lion available for all the legacy macs.

If you bought it, it's still available to download. It's best to keep your own bootable backup. I prefer to keep cold bootable spares, update them once in a while. That way, recovery from a blown drive just means plugging in and turning the computer on.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElmore49 View Post

The Lion installer was still in my purchases list, and I'm re-downloading it now. This Mac is still on 10.7, maybe that makes a difference?

it would make sense that a machine that has been updated to 10.8 wouldn't see it because you would want to download 10.8 most likely but it is in the purchases. 

• Reply 74 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Thats bull shit.  There are plenty of Macs out there that need Lion that are not compatible with 10.8.  So what are we supposed to do?  Torrent Lion so we can get a so called pirated copy?  Apple needs to keep Lion available for all the legacy macs.

You had a month to check your compatibility and buy Lion if that was what you would have to stop at. If you didn't, that is your fault not Apple's. 

• Reply 75 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If the machine came with Lion from the factory then it will boot into recovery mode over the internet and will download Lion even if the HDD is formatted, new, or has no OS installed.

And you'd think that someone that wants us to believe that he's in tech support would know this. 

• Reply 76 of 86
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    conrail wrote: »

The New iPhone (6th gen) LOL

i concur....

ding! ding! ding!... we have a winner!
  • Reply 77 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

You forgot the iPhone 3G.

HA HA HA! So THAT'S how he got "iPhone 5"! image

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

At this point, part of me hopes they call the 6th iPhone "iPhone 5" and tout it having autostereoscopic 3D as an explanation for the name.

• Reply 78 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    conrail wrote: »

Based on the new iPad being called The New IPad and IPad it seems very likely they could go that route with the iPhone. I certainly hope they do and have been wanting the classifications to be dropped anyway. There is some confusion attributed to a generic naming scheme but it's no more daunting than with Macs that keep their styling for many more years than iDevices.

jeffdm wrote: »
    I can't say it was totally necessary, unless you only have cellular data for internet service. Otherwise, it's relatively easy to make your own. There is also an app that makes it two-click easy. I need to buy another stick or two.

I've been playing with this recently. The USB Recovery HD drive seems to only be needed if you are using File Vault 2 to encrypt your boot drive/partition. This then removes the main Recovery HD partition which then requires that you use an external to initiate access to it upon boot.

From what I can gather the Recovery HD tool is very small. The installer is barely over 1MB and needs under 15MB once fully installed, yet the Recovery HD has a considerable amount of options to it which makes me think that it still accesses the internal, 650MB Recovery HD partition. That is all speculation on part and I haven't removed my drives to test it further.

The reason I mention this is you or anyone else wants to make a USB Recovery HD drive you can do so without using the entire flash drive. I set up two partitions, one in FAT32 (since I'm having to play with Win Server) and the other for OS X's Recovery HD. Using Disk Utility it didn't work until I put Recovery HD as the 2nd partition. It also didn't work if I tried to change the size of the Recovery HD partition to be formatted using the text area. I had to use the slider and the smallest I could make it and still get it to work was about 750MB.

It's too bad that Apple doesn't care if you waste an entire USB flash drive for this tool.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Simpler scenario:

1. User has a machine from 2008 or earlier.

2. Machine still works, not about to throw it away.

3. User has a real life, does not upgrade OS for the sake of it.

4. Wants to buy an app, app needs Lion, user says OK, I'll get Lion, my machine supports it.

5. Oops, no Lion, though his perfectly working machine supports it.

6. User concludes Apple is stupid, or is trying to force him to buy a new machine.

I am not saying Apple needs to make a special effort to support older but still viable machines. I am not saying they had to make Mountain Lion work with them. I am simply saying, Lion should still be in the App store. It costs nothing to do that. Heck, they'd even pick up some revenue.

Totally understandable post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You had a month to check your compatibility and buy Lion if that was what you would have to stop at.

I just had this happen on Tuesday last week-

Was at a friends house playing cards- he has an iPad 1 and iPhone 4S and an older white iMac.  His iPad wasn't running iOS5 and I told him he needs to update that so all his contact and calendars will sync.  He then said that he had heard about iCloud a little, but never really looked into it or set it up.  I then went to his old 24" white iMac running Leopard- but it was a Core 2 Duo.  I said it could run Lion, gave him the run down explanation- let him borrow my snow leopard disc and then he downloaded Lion and was ecstatic.

Ok- Apple made a whopping $29 off my friend.  How much perceived value was gained as a brand?  No clue- but he is happier now.

Devil's advocate- He saw he couldnt get Lion and then went ahead and upgraded his iMac to one that could run Lion (or ML in this case).  Apple makes a lot.  Now in this particular scenario- this will likely be his last iMac because he said he never uses it except for pictures.

So my point is- while some people think they shouldnt offer it for download, some people do.  Both have valid arguments.  People who cant, at the very least, acknowledge both sides are close-minded and ridiculous.

• Reply 80 of 86

Here's my One Percent scenario:

I was leery of upgrading to Lion on a late 2006 iMac. Figured Snow Leopard pretty much rocks. But the chief reason is that I use MAME OS X to power an arcade cabinet and was tired of dealing with MAME and ROM compatibility issues.

So I kept my mid-2009 Macbook Pro and the iMac on Snow Leopard.

Just last week, I took the leap to get a new iPad. I've been getting the iCloud itch for quite some time. Figured I needed to get my graphite iMac DV/SE back from its borrower to use that as a dedicated MAME machine, delete a bunch of stuff from my cramped 250-gig 2006 iMac hard drive, then upgrade the iMac and Macbook Pro to Lion so that I would be in synced iCloud bliss.

Whoopsy!

Well, feel free to call me a Dumb Bunny for failing to avail myself of Lion during its limited availability. This type of circumstance failed to occur to this dumbbuttocks.