Sprint iPhone sales hold steady at 1.5 million

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While competitors AT&T and Verizon saw their total iPhone sales decline sequentially, Sprint announced on Thursday that it sold 1.5 million iPhones last quarter, matching the number sold in the previous frame.

Sprint also revealed that the iPhone has played a major part in bringing new customers to the carrier, as 40 percent of iPhone sales in the June quarter were to new postpaid customers. In comparison, last quarter Sprint sold 1.5 million iPhones and 44 percent of those were to new customers.

While Sprint's iPhone sales held steady quarter to quarter, AT&T saw iPhone sales fell to 3.7 million, down from 5.5 million in the March quarter, while Verizon's 2.7 million iPhone sales in the June quarter was a decrease from the 3.2 million activated at the start of the year.

Sprint ended the most recent quarter with more than 56 million subscribers. The carrier is the third-largest in the U.S., behind Verizon and Sprint, and along with T-Mobile is considered one of the "big four" domestic wireless providers.

Sprint saw its wireless equipment net subsidy in the second quarter grow to $1.5 billion, up from $1.1 billion a year ago. That increase was attributed primarily to Apple's iPhone, which has a higher subsidy rate per handset compared to other smartphones.

iPhone 4S

iPhone subsidies also accounted for an increase in sales expenses year over year, contributing to an operating loss of $629 million. But the carrier's postpaid net additions of 442,000 represented an increase of 68 percent sequentially, thanks to continued strong iPhone sales.

Sprint reported a total net loss of $1.4 billion and a diluted net loss of 46 cents per share in the second quarter of 2012. That compares to a net loss of $847 million and diluted net loss of 28 cents per share in the second quarter of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Too bad that doesn't equal to serious work on their 3G network.

• Reply 2 of 17

I hate Sprint. We had it for years and never had even 2G. And no one really needs more than 4-8 GB of data. 

• Reply 3 of 17
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I hate Sprint. We had it for years and never had even 2G. And no one really needs more than 4-8 GB of data. 

and no one needs a phone bigger than 3.5".  Apple told us so

• Reply 4 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Maybe Sprint could sell more iPhones if they advertised them on their landing page.  Instead they're touting a 'free' Android phone.  

• Reply 5 of 17
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

I bet Sprint's CEO Hess will be ousted within 6 months..

• Reply 6 of 17
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Maybe Sprint could sell more iPhones if they advertised them on their landing page.  Instead they're touting a 'free' Android phone.  

exactly, one would think... so are the android makers 'paying' Sprint more than they think they could make by selling an iphone.  Some accountant some where is busy....

• Reply 7 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    I bet Sprint's CEO Hess will be ousted within 6 months..

Replacing Marissa Mayer?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Sprint will be called the inetwork in six months. Suck on that, AT&T and Verizon.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    just_me wrote: »
    and no one needs a phone bigger than 3.5".  Apple told us so

Prove it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Replacing Marissa Mayer?

RIght. Yahoo will fire a CEO who has just given birth. That's going to happen.

• Reply 11 of 17
    harbinger wrote: »

Not that it will happen but are plenty of cases where a new exec was brought in and then taken out very quickly.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Soon Sprint will have a "free" iPhone they'll be touting.

Considering they're customers are lower income I expect iPhone sales to explode when the 4 is available for free and they'll be able to sell 3 iPhones on their network. Ditto Verizon
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Sprint will be called the inetwork in six months. Suck on that, AT&T and Verizon.

Apple won't be buying or creating their own telecom.

• Reply 14 of 17
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Prove it.

Watch the unveiling of the iphone.  Steve said it himself.

• Reply 15 of 17

How is that relevant?

• Reply 16 of 17
    just_me wrote: »
    Watch the unveiling of the iphone.  Steve said it himself.

Then it shouldn't be too hard for you to link to the video with a timestamp or link to and quote that part of the transcript that states "no one needs a phone bigger than 3.5"."
  • Reply 17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

How is that relevant?