Apple stepping up trademark fight against Amazon Appstore

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Oh, grow up.

PS: Fandroid alert! (Expect more to jump in soon).

wtf is fandroid? Is that something you 12 years old talk about now?
  • Reply 22 of 77
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

I just don't understand why Apple wants to wage this war.  I have called applications "apps" for years.  I honestly think it has something to do with the fact that "app" just happens to be the first 3 letters of "Apple".  

Maybe they should also trademark the work appendectomy.  Or appendage.

• Reply 23 of 77
    jfkindcjfkindc Posts: 7member
    Perfect example of how trademarks and patents have gotten out of control. There is nothing on an iPad that wasn't on star trek 20 years ago. App store is too generic. Why not trademark "Department Store" or even the Apple "Retail Store?"
  • Reply 24 of 77
    howiehowie Posts: 68member

Apparently.

• Reply 25 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I honestly think it has something to do with the fact that "app" just happens to be the first 3 letters of "Apple".  

I honestly think you haven't honestly thought that through.

• Reply 26 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Only thing that matters is what he legal system thinks. No one gives a shit what Apple thinks, doesn't even matter what is true only what you can prove. Also grow up and give up on the fandroid bullshit. You sound like a wuss.

Ah, welcome back....

• Reply 27 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkindc View Post

Groan... I lose. Time to flee to another thread....

• Reply 28 of 77
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

They're not burning bridges.  Look how they fucked over Apple (the music label) by using the Apple name in violation of their previous agreement.  That ended up with Apple (the no-longer computer company) having the opportunity to sell the Beatles catalog.

If the past is any indication of the future, Apple can do whatever underhanded crap they want and still make more profits than before.  Don't bet against them.  Money talks.

You are misinformed about Apple ( Computer ) versus Apple Corps (record company )

They didn't f-over Apple Corps. There were several disputes in the 1980's that Apple Corps won. Then there were further settlements in the early 90's.  These were all things that are ridiculous by today's standards.  A record company preventing a computer company from having a MIDI controller, recording music,  playing digital music.  This all got worked out in the 90's. All because of a trademark. Nevertheless, Apple Computer paid for their use.

After working the final judgement in 2007 Apple Computer  ended up buying the entirety of the Apple Corps trademark for $500M and licensing the music and recording aspect of it back to Apple Corps.

This is not in any way comparable to Apple's trademark  on "App store", since Amazon's use of the trademarked name is for the exact same use.

Amazon is arguing that the trademark is too generic. ( and it may be )

• Reply 29 of 77
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think I can reasonably call it a trademark... Sure, it's more accurately referred to as a service mark but that's just a trademark for a service rather than a physical product. It's also very common as it's still most commonly written as two words rather than one. Etymologically speaking you can see the evolution of terms from multiple words, to hyphenated words to a single word and it usually shows a pattern of common usage.

Seriously?! I know you're better than that.

And Apple is a major licensee to this day.

Agreed. Went back and edited. 

• Reply 30 of 77
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(1) Apple should aggressively, unrelentingly, repeatedly go after the copyists to protect its IP. There is no point in seeking IP protection if you can't defend its use. (2) No need to weep for Apple. There are no relevant bridges being burnt (except those that the trolls are protecting).

Are you suggesting that Apple owners are so dumb that they would purchase apps in the Amazon Appstore?

If not then what is the problem?

• Reply 31 of 77
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member

Quote:

Ah, welcome back....

Sorry about the comment I went back and edited it out. I still disagree the Fandroid comment is needed. Clearly Apple is a company the vast majority of people love and love their products. If that wasn't the case they wouldn't be selling 26 million iPhones a quarter. I was never gone, I simply find the forum unproductive because most threads end up like this one. 

I also find it hard to believe that somehow the average consumer is going to get confused what App Store they are using. We have 10 year old kids using iPhones and iPads. Clearly this isn't rocket science. 

• Reply 32 of 77

Blackberry has "App World"

Google has "Google Play" (formerly "Android Market")

Microsoft has "Marketplace"

Apple has "App Store"

Amazon has "Appstore"

And people wonder why Apple is mad? Use the exact same term as Apple, but take out the space between "App" and "store". Come on, Amazon, everyone else has unique names - you can't even spend 5 minutes to come up with your own?

• Reply 33 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I have called applications "apps" for years. 

Apple deserves to win the TM for App Store, but in terms of Apps as a word, yes definitely heard it for years. Like the ol' HS guidance counselor asking if I submitted all my college apps yet or not. Ah, those were the days. ;)

• Reply 34 of 77
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple has "App Store"

Amazon has "Appstore"

And people wonder why Apple is mad? Use the exact same term as Apple, but take out the space between "App" and "store". Come on, Amazon, everyone else has unique names - you can't even spend 5 minutes to come up with your own?

Come on, Apple, everyone else has unique names - you can't even spend 5 minutes to come up with your own instead of taking the name from a piece of fruit?

• Reply 35 of 77

Quote:

Groan... I lose. Time to flee to another thread....

(Now THIS is a trolling post image )

• Reply 36 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple has "App Store"
    Amazon has "Appstore"

Amazon has Amazon Appstore which I don't think is confusing since it's always presented in that way. Unless Apple can show that iPhone users are going to Amazon's site to buy apps that don't work on their iDevices I don't think Apple has a case they can win.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Amazon has Amazon Appstore which I don't think is confusing since it's always presented in that way. Unless Apple can show that iPhone users are going to Amazon's site to buy apps that don't work on their iDevices I don't think Apple has a case they can win.

What about the 'idiot salesman' angle of the argument?

• Reply 38 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple has "App Store"
    Amazon has "Appstore"

Well explained. I suspect if it were 'Amazon's Apps' or 'Apps from Amazon' etc. Apple would not have a problem but as you say, Appstore ... really?
  • Reply 39 of 77
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I honestly think you haven't honestly thought that through.

Honestly I thought you would realize it was a joke.  :-)

• Reply 40 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hungover wrote: »
     Are you suggesting that Apple owners are so dumb that they would purchase apps in the Amazon Appstore?

If not then what is the problem?

Although I agree with you, I wouldn't be surprised if a few let's say not too bright people have tried. You know the type that'll type Google.com in their browser's address bar and then in Google's search bar type yahoo.com.