Mountain Lion easter egg references debut of original Apple Macintosh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The "easter egg" found in the latest version of Apple's Mac operating system...

Easter is always capitalized.  It's the most important Christian holiday, the day that God the Son was resurrected, after having been crucified and buried.

• Reply 22 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    If the download dropped the connection before completion and left a temp file there what does the date say?

Seems sort of childish to fool around with the date on a computer. You never know how this might screw up some application that depends on proper dates at all times.

Absolutely non UNIX compliant. They should lose their UNIX certification over that.

It is probably not affecting the real date but still just stupid in my opinion

If the connection is dropped in the middle of a download, who cares what date is on the temporary file?

After the download resumes and the file is completed, it will get the right date.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Finder notes it as being January 24, 1984 but Terminal lists it as being the date it was created or modified (forget which one the ls -l command shows). In any case, I don't think this is something to get upset about. Remember this is for temporary .download file. If you have those sitting around on your system then you have bigger issues to worry about.

Hence I expect mstone to retract his tantrum.

• Reply 24 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    dunks wrote: »
    It also happens to be both the year and date of my birth. :-)
    Really? Double cool if your name Is Mac(kenzie)
  • Reply 25 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Finder notes it as being January 24, 1984 but Terminal lists it as being the date it was created or modified (forget which one the ls -l command shows). In any case, I don't think this is something to get upset about. Remember this is for temporary .download file. If you have those sitting around on your system then you have bigger issues to worry about.

.download filenames are fake too. Take a look in your /tmp or your /private/var/tmp folder. I guarantee it won't be empty. That is where things actually go while you are downloading something. I don't really care it just seems like a really bad idea to play around with the date, fake or otherwise. If the file says one thing in the finder and another in the terminal then that can be a source of confusion right there.

• Reply 26 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What a perfectly reasonable and sane comment. /s
    :-) Tyler's been getting stoned since 77 is my guess.
  • Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If the connection is dropped in the middle of a download, who cares what date is on the temporary file?

After the download resumes and the file is completed, it will get the right date.

I'm sure I am the only one who cares if my files have the correct date. If you look in your download folder while something is downloading I would assume that if I sorted by date the newest file would be on the top of the list and all the dates would be in order. That way I can see the current status of the download. I don't like it one bit that they are screwing with the the date. It is bad enough that by default when you list files by last modified that it show files that were recently opened at the top even if they were not modified. I'm happy for the programmers that they are having so much fun, but if they want OS X to be a computer operating system and not a game then they should use industry best practices. I'm fine with Easter eggs but don't screw with every date or file. Go put something cute where it doesn't affect the entire OS.

• Reply 28 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    .download filenames are fake too. Take a look in your /tmp or your /private/var/tmp folder. I guarantee it won't be empty. That is where things actually go while you are downloading something. I don't really care it just seems like a really bad idea to play around with the date, fake or otherwise. If the file says one thing in the finder and another in the terminal then that can be a source of confusion right there.

1) I still don't see how the temp file getting that easter egg is a big deal as presented in the Finder. it's not violating SUSEv3.

2) I don't think it's storing the files in /tmp. I think it's storing the file inside the .download package. I seem to recall you can Option+click the item Show All Contents.
  • Reply 29 of 44

Quote:

1) I still don't see how the temp file getting that easter egg is a big deal as presented in the Finder. it's not violating SUSEv3.

2) I don't think it's storing the files in /tmp. I think it's storing the file inside the .download package. I seem to recall you can Option+click the item Show All Contents.

I have no idea what the .download file actually is. I am only suggesting that /tmp is being used because that is the way all other UNIX like OSs do it.

I just think it is a really bad idea because it makes OS X like a toy. Ok I'll say it - Steve would never have let this happen.

• Reply 30 of 44
    I have no idea what the .download file actually is. I am only suggesting that /tmp is being used because that is the way all other UNIX like OSs do it.

I just think it is a really bad idea because it makes OS X like a toy.

A toy? Don't you think that's a bit over the top considering how it doesn't affect the date of the file. On top of that we still have faux leather, ineffective skeumorphism and plenty of cutsey (yet informative) icons and effects. If there is something to dig in your feet over this is not it.
    Ok I'll say it - Steve would never have let this happen.

Don't make me turn this internet around!
  • Reply 31 of 44

Quote:

A toy? Don't you think that's a bit over the top considering how it doesn't affect the date of the file. On top of that we still have faux leather, ineffective skeumorphism and plenty of cutsey (yet informative) icons and effects. If there is something to dig in your feet over this is not it.

Don't make me turn this internet around!

Sorry, dates are sacred in UNIX. Starting around January 1, 1970 at 00:00:00:00 we decided that there would be a mktime function and hands off to anyone messing around with it.

I have over 15 years of files on my main work computer. I have developed extensive file naming and categorization protocols with job folders and files all with dates in the file name. I have a multi tiered back up system based on dates. Screwing with dates is a cardinal sin in my book.

• Reply 32 of 44
    Sorry, dates are sacred in UNIX. Starting around January 1, 1970 at 00:00:00:00 we decided that there would be a mktime function and hands off to anyone messing around with it.
    And as previously noted the date and time is not changed in the system.
    I have over 15 years of files on my main work computer. I have developed extensive file naming and categorization protocols with job folders and files all with dates in the file name. I have a multi tiered back up system based on dates. Screwing with dates is a cardinal sin in my book.
    Again, the date is not changed in the system. Also again, we're talking about a ;download which means if you backing these up then you have bigger problems.

On top of that, the .download is just a folder just like .app extension. You see the contents of these folders in Terminal but in Finder they show up as an application. .download works the exact same way in that you can, as previously noted, Option-click and Show All Contents. If you don't have a problem with a special folder in Finder being an executable program because it has the .app suffix then you shouldn't have a problem with how the .download folder works in user space.
  • Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

And as previously noted the date and time is not changed in the system.

Whatever. You are not convincing enough to change my mind about fooling around with file dates. That is like saying it is ok to lie as long as it is just a joke. Possibly no harm done in the long run but it is a bad idea and it make OS X look amateurish or worse micky mouse-ish. 

• Reply 34 of 44
    Whatever. You are not convincing enough to change my mind about fooling around with file dates. That is like saying it is ok to lie as long as it is just a joke. Possibly no harm done in the long run but it is a bad idea and it make OS X look amateurish or worse micky mouse-ish. 

Now you're changing your stance. Your initial comment was that you can't change UNIX files that way. So are you saying it is changing Unix files because you see a screenshot of Finder? If so, then you might it had to believe you understand how any OS works. If not, then why are fine with a folder acting like a file and still being SUSE. No matter how you answer your comment is nullified because UNIX is not affected. Whether you like it or not has no barring on the facts, that's just your opinion.
  • Reply 35 of 44

Quote:

Now you're changing your stance. Your initial comment was that you can't change UNIX files that way. So are you saying it is changing Unix files because you see a screenshot of Finder? If so, then you might it had to believe you understand how any OS works. If not, then why are fine with a folder acting like a file and still being SUSE. No matter how you answer your comment is nullified because UNIX is not affected. Whether you like it or not has no barring on the facts, that's just your opinion.

Classic Solip. Introduce whatever convoluted logic you wish, I stand by my original argument. Playing around with dates in the file system whether real or fake is a very bad example of OS programming. OS X has lost all my respect in this sophomoric prank and I will delay any upgrade within my sphere of influence until I investigate the implications further. No point in you offering any other argument as I am out of the discussion as of now.

• Reply 36 of 44
    Classic Solip. Introduce whatever convoluted logic you wish, I stand by my original argument. Playing around with dates in the file system whether real or fake is a very bad example of OS programming. OS X has lost all my respect in this sophomoric prank and I will delay any upgrade within my sphere of influence until I investigate the implications further. No point in you offering any other argument as I am out of the discussion as of now.

if you really feel that way about the user space file system you should have stopped using Macs when 10.0 arrived.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

If you're on a 32bit system, something terrible is going to happen to you in 2038
    I have (...) files all with dates in the file name.

Excellent! That way you don't need the OS stating the date.

Go read something, like:
    /usr/share/emacs/22.1/etc/JOKES
  • Reply 38 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Ha - a very subtle egg.

• Reply 39 of 44
    To mstone...

As I understand, Macs are not confused, You are the only one confused here around.. So I wonder, HAL, is it You??? Should we be worried about it? :-)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...it is a bad idea and it make OS X look amateurish or worse micky mouse-ish. 

Micky Mouse is worse than an amateur?? Ouch, that hurt.