Facebook meets expectations, posts profit in Q2

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

    Please stop posting square black boxes.


     


    ????

  • Reply 22 of 30
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member


    Meeting expectations.  Not meeting them.


     


    Whose expectations? Analysts with a modicum of insight into companies.  Why are their expectations so important that they dictate the share price of a company and therefore the financial fate of investors?  How did their expectations turn into reasonable objectives for public companies?  


     


    Apple didn't miss expectations.  Facebook didn't meet them.  The fact is the other way around.  Analysts missed on guessing Apple's 2nd quarter performance.  They guessed right with Facebook.

     


    Maybe I sound like sour grapes because AAPL's drop cost me some potential profits. But I feel confident this will reverse itself. Nevertheless, it sucks big time when the value of your portfolio is based on whether a company's performance matches or exceeds the nearly wild guesses of those whose job title starts with "anal".

  • Reply 23 of 30
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    blackbook wrote: »
    FB is becoming a direct competitor to Apple and Google now with their App store and rumored hardware devices.

    Sure they are. Just like all the other direct competitors who've all lost money in the space.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    Most of it is from Ad, but a lot is from games people play, some might be generated from music that is sold through CD Baby, and then apps.  It would be nice to see a break down of their sources of revenue into different categories, but I don't know if they are going to release that information.

  • Reply 25 of 30
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,237member

    Please stop posting square black boxes.

    Grow up.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    eroslwseroslws Posts: 21member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


    Meeting expectations.  Not meeting them.


     


    Whose expectations? Analysts with a modicum of insight into companies.  Why are their expectations so important that they dictate the share price of a company and therefore the financial fate of investors?  How did their expectations turn into reasonable objectives for public companies?  


     


    Apple didn't miss expectations.  Facebook didn't meet them.  The fact is the other way around.  Analysts missed on guessing Apple's 2nd quarter performance.  They guessed right with Facebook.

     


    Maybe I sound like sour grapes because AAPL's drop cost me some potential profits. But I feel confident this will reverse itself. Nevertheless, it sucks big time when the value of your portfolio is based on whether a company's performance matches or exceeds the nearly wild guesses of those whose job title starts with "anal".



    Apple missed expectations, Facebook met them, it's really that simple. Expectations are based on past performance and forecast modeling by career analysts. The stock market is a gamble because of this, but your resentment against analysts is the same resentment people experience toward doctors when their family member couldn't be saved. Do you blame analysts when AAPL blows analysts expectations out of the water? Didn't think so and if you did, you wouldn't play with stocks to begin with. The fact that AAPL could exceed expectations consistently for so long is mind-blowing, as it becomes continuously more difficult. Lucky for shareholders, I see them exceeding expectations for quite some time, this is just a little bump in the road.

  • Reply 27 of 30
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post


    The stock market is a gamble because of this, but your resentment against analysts is the same resentment people experience toward doctors when their family member couldn't be saved.



    Yes, the stock market is a gamble but that's the dumbest analogy I've seen here.

  • Reply 28 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

    Grow up.


     


    You mean "update". Literally.

  • Reply 29 of 30
    adamcadamc Posts: 582member
    eroslws wrote: »
    Apple missed expectations, Facebook met them, it's really that simple. Expectations are based on past performance and forecast modeling by career analysts. The stock market is a gamble because of this, but your resentment against analysts is the same resentment people experience toward doctors when their family member couldn't be saved. Do you blame analysts when AAPL blows analysts expectations out of the water? Didn't think so and if you did, you wouldn't play with stocks to begin with. The fact that AAPL could exceed expectations consistently for so long is mind-blowing, as it becomes continuously more difficult. Lucky for shareholders, I see them exceeding expectations for quite some time, this is just a little bump in the road.

    I agreed with Harginger's view.

    These analysts' guesses are guesses, if like you said they were based on past expectations how come all of them come up with different ones. Their guesses are based more on the current problems which Apple may faced but certainly not on past expectations, er, guesses.

    Your doctor analogy is way out. You mean if a guy has terminal cancer you would still expect the doctor to save his or her life. I had come across a case of a guy who was in coma because of his brain cancer and when he experienced difficulty in breathing the doctor recommended to have surgery to help with the breathing.

    I believe the performance of a company should be based on the merits of its earning and not on the wild guesses of the analysts.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post Analysts missed on guessing Apple's 2nd quarter performance.  They guessed right with Facebook.


     


     





    You should consider that their predictions most likely helped influence Apple stock that high in the first place. Beyond that, you're most likely invested in more than just Apple.

Sign In or Register to comment.