New Google Earth 3D cities not as detailed as Apple iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    synergisynergi Posts: 32member

Great tool for writers to! Visiting cities and checking out locations without actually going there. 

• Reply 22 of 82
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But… Apple's maps are terrible. This can't be. Google must have better maps. There's no way a beta can be better than a release product. 

as a global moderator, is that the official appleinsider position?

• Reply 23 of 82
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member

OK everyone listen!  I have a perfect solution to all this maps bickering!

Google just leaves maps alone and FOCUSES ON GOOGLE FIBER AND PUTTING IT EVERYWHERE!

Apple- release your maps, then focus on making the new iPhone!

Solved!

• Reply 24 of 82
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Of the main street through the town. That's it. Whereas you can just fly over anywhere and get the 3D maps instead of driving down every road.

No, come on stop being so stubborn! Every small village in the USA and most Europe has street view all over it.

• Reply 25 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Of the main street through the town. That's it. Whereas you can just fly over anywhere and get the 3D maps instead of driving down every road.

I think you do a pretty good job of defending their decisions and I know you have such a high opinion of yourself that you are incapable of admitting errors, but ....

... even you has to admit at some point that:  

- Street view is a very useful thing that absolutely HUGE numbers of consumers use every day

- Apple doesn't and won't ever have street view.

Whether you will admit to this or not, it is a real problem and it's worse for the "moral minority" (like myself) who currently refuse to use Google products, yet really, really, really need street view on maps.  

Street view and transit information are two of the most important pieces of the whole mobile maps solution for a very large group of people.  The fact that Apple's maps solution doesn't have either (so far) is definitely a big problem.  

It seems bizarre to me that Apple seems to be thinking that the "whiz-bang" of the 3D maps will cover up this gigantic hole in the functionality of their maps product.  Unless their renders are so great that people will be able to zoom down to street level and see where they are, this will be a big failure in a lot of people's eyes and therfore a gigantic PR "mis-step."    

• Reply 26 of 82
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member

Quote:

LOL.good luck with that.this type of imagery was used over a decade ago when we were using gps to bomb targets in Bosnia,Kosovo and Iraq. But it is near useless in urban areas for ground level targets,or in this case, addresses. street view will show you what an unfamiliar place will look like, from your own perspective, as you arrive. quite handy when you have businesses, restaurants or residences clustered side by side, front to back or on top of each other. 

by the way, google earth has a flight simulator built into it for doing what you describe. it's fun, but useless for ground navigation.

• Reply 27 of 82
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Hey, maybe Street View is so popular that Google should just release it for free. (That's their argument for why they should get away with stealing Apple's iPhone IP)

• Reply 28 of 82
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

However you look at it, this technology is plain awesome. And it's free!

Apple's deployment of 3D maps does make you wonder - will they bring it to the desktop too?  After all, there is no reason why it won't work.

BTW, will Mapquest become totally irrelevant soon?  Surprisingly, it is still alive.

• Reply 29 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Hey, maybe Street View is so popular that Google should just release it for free. (That's their argument for why they should get away with stealing Apple's iPhone IP)

I think it is free.

• Reply 30 of 82
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you do a pretty good job of defending their decisions and I know you have such a high opinion of yourself that you are incapable of admitting errors, but ....

- Street view is a very useful thing that absolutely HUGE numbers of consumers use every day

Whether you will admit to this or not, it is a real problem and it's worse for the "moral minority" (like myself) who currently refuse to use Google products, yet really, really, really need street view on maps.  

Street view and transit information are two of the most important pieces of the whole mobile maps solution for a very large group of people.  The fact that Apple's maps solution doesn't have either (so far) is definitely a big problem.  

It seems bizarre to me that Apple seems to be thinking that the "whiz-bang" of the 3D maps will cover up this gigantic hole in the functionality of their maps product.  Unless their renders are so great that people will be able to zoom down to street level and see where they are, this will be a big failure in a lot of people's eyes and therfore a gigantic PR "mis-step."    

Most people don't use street view often and a lot of people don't know its even available on their phones. This will be a non-issue for most people.

• Reply 31 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    harbinger wrote: »
    However you look at it, this technology is plain awesome. And it's free!

Apple's deployment of 3D maps does make you wonder - will they bring it to the desktop too?  After all, there is no reason why it won't work.

BTW, will Mapquest become totally irrelevant soon?  Surprisingly, it is still alive.

Mapquest gives better directions than Google.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

I agree on the usefulness of both street view and transit.

I don't, necessarily, agree that Apple won't have either... Apple could  contract Google for those bits of data... the Maps app on iOS has always been an Apple app using Google data.

If nothing else, I believe that Tim is practical -- even Steve did business with frenemies like Softy and Sammy.

• Reply 33 of 82
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Look at the top left photo for Google Earth on that ipad.

Look next to the Wifi symbol on that ipad.

[SIZE=16px]Google Earth was still rendering the image when the screenshot was taken. iOS maps had finished.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Not fair at all. I should take a screenshot of ios maps when it's all grey tiles and compare it then.[/SIZE]

I checked, and the quality doesn't get better than what is in the picture (and I had to wait a long time to be sure). Not to say the Apple maps are so detailed either, but they are clearly better. Except, of course, street view, which I'm very disappointed by. I do hope Googe Earthbfor iOS gets that in the next version.

All Google has done is overlay these new 3d terrain objects over a sattalite picture, and it's not much more impressive than the cad models they used before.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I've never used either on a mobile device, know of nobody who does, so I'm not following your assertion.

• Reply 35 of 82
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I checked, and the quality doesn't get better than what is in the picture (and I had to wait a long time to be sure). Not to say the Apple maps are so detailed either, but they are clearly better. Except, of course, street view, which I'm very disappointed by. I do hope Googe Earthbfor iOS gets that in the next version.

All Google has done is overlay these new 3d terrain objects over a sattalite picture, and it's not much more impressive than the cad models they used before.

I'd say it's worse because it's so blurry.

and slow

• Reply 36 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Main street through town? There are street view images of back country roads in the farm country here in Oregon and out in the middle of nowhere in Alaska.

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Every small village in the USA and most Europe has street view all over it.

There's no Google love where I live. It's not even Backwateria, ST, either. Main road east-west, main road north-south. That's it. Guess they don't like the midwest.

Do they? I've never heard anything like that. Are there numbers anywhere? And I don't think Apple would ever waste their time with street view, but you can't say they'll never have it.

• Reply 37 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    macosxp wrote: »

That's because the network activity we see, after the image finishes rendering, is Google Earth uploading your contacts and calendar to the Googleplex. Don't worry, it's for your own good.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Transit information?

The only "transit information" I need is when I feel like putting my key in the ignition and pulling out onto the road.

For those poor unfortunates who dont have a car, transit information is available through a quick Bing of transit company's website for the timetables.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Fact is 99% of cities won't have a 3D map and THAT'S what makes it pointless to most people. Street View in this case is superior because even small towns have street view images.

But who really uses street iew? I have a friend that might use it once a year. God I hope for a Google maps that:

1) doesn't always want to go not street view. Can I just disable it?

2) can I take a wet trout to the engineer that thought using he click wheel to zoom was a good idea? Seriously? Zoom?

3) is up to date? Is it that hard to be at least 5 years near where things are?

Until then, I am very open to any map system that is better.
  • Reply 40 of 82

Quote:

But… Apple's maps are terrible. This can't be. Google must have better maps. There's no way a beta can be better than a release product. 

Apple has hungry retina displays to feed. Google? Not so much.